ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Saving the Planet

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Fine
Starr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with green deodorants

I've been trying to find a natural (i.e. aluminum-free, paraben-free, etc.) deodorant and am striking out. I know all of these are deodorants and not antiperspirants (which I'm fine with), but I can't find any that last longer than 30 minutes! I have to reapply all the time to avoid stink... and the more I reapply, the more raw my armpits get (regardless of whether I've just shaved or not). I've tried several brands: Tom's of Maine, Jason, Nature's Gate, Lavanilla. Had the same experience with each, even the unscented ones make me raw.

So, is there another option out there?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
"hot and tasty" sounds a little bit dirty to me.

CommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of people reacting that way to the baking soda in natural deodorants. Did all of those contain baking soda?

Have you tried any of the crystals? I have one that has lasted for years. I don't use it all the time, but it works pretty well. Some companies also make the crystal kind in a spray or roll on.

I've also heard of people having good luck with just applying coconut oil. I've never tried it, though, so I can't comment.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
the laundry basket is CRACKING me up!

My Mood: Artistic
abmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably the baking soda. I notice that I'm a bit sensitive to it, but it works for me.

Crystals are good for keeping odor at bay when you use them daily but they don't do anything for wetness. That is why I make my own with coconut oil, cornstarch, and baking soda. You still perspire (since it's unhealthy to block the perspiration) but the cornstarch (I think) helps to absorb excess perspiration. Perhaps you could make your own with just corn starch and coconut oil and see if that works, without the baking soda?

Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Inactive Member

Starr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond reputeStarr5678 has a reputation beyond repute

Never thought of it being baking soda. Yes, could be that. What's the ratio of corn starch to coconut oil? Or what's the consistency supposed to be? Where do you store it? Also, never heard of the crystals - who sells them? More info, pretty please!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I have had 5 guys in my mouth several times
and now I want them again.
AKA: monicajoy

My Mood: Tired
Lollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond reputeLollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I got some from frontier that is a crystal. I've only used it a couple days But I like it so far. I think its called naturally fresh but I can't remember for sure and I'm at work right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM

CommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond reputeCommieVegan has a reputation beyond repute

A natural foods store will have the crystals. I think a drugstore would, too--anyplace that sells the ones you've been trying would probably have crystals! I can't remember any brands, though. But you could go ask a store employee about crystal deodorants and they should know.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
the laundry basket is CRACKING me up!

My Mood: Artistic
abmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond repute

Naturally Fresh is what I've used, too. http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/products

I always applied straight out of the shower while my armpits were still wet (otherwise you have to wet the crystal itself). You apply a thin coat to the entire pit and it works by keeping bacteria from growing (which causes odor). It doesn't help with perspiration, because it's healthy to sweat.

The ones with baking soda help to neutralize and absorb excess perspiration, so it does help you feel dryer (me, at least) without stopping perspiration, like a commercial antiperspirant does.

The recipe I use to make mine is
5 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch.

I just mix it all together till smooth. You can warm the oil to liquefy and make mixing easier. You can also add EO or FO to it, to make it smell nice or for the properties of that EO (tea tree oil or lavender can offer antibacterial properties, for example). I play with it to get the right consistency, so I can't promise that's the right amount. I start with that, and sometimes add more cornstarch to thicken it.

I store mine in a small lidded bowl and apply with my fingers.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Inactive Member
AKA: lovethyscent

gellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond reputegellybelly has a reputation beyond repute

The crystal works great!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I must admit that I too was lured by the cooter.

My Mood: Brooding
Queen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond reputeQueen of pain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmama View Post
Naturally Fresh is what I've used, too. http://www.naturallyfreshdeodorantcrystal.com/products

I always applied straight out of the shower while my armpits were still wet (otherwise you have to wet the crystal itself). You apply a thin coat to the entire pit and it works by keeping bacteria from growing (which causes odor). It doesn't help with perspiration, because it's healthy to sweat.

The ones with baking soda help to neutralize and absorb excess perspiration, so it does help you feel dryer (me, at least) without stopping perspiration, like a commercial antiperspirant does.

The recipe I use to make mine is
5 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch.

I just mix it all together till smooth. You can warm the oil to liquefy and make mixing easier. You can also add EO or FO to it, to make it smell nice or for the properties of that EO (tea tree oil or lavender can offer antibacterial properties, for example). I play with it to get the right consistency, so I can't promise that's the right amount. I start with that, and sometimes add more cornstarch to thicken it.

I store mine in a small lidded bowl and apply with my fingers.

I'm totally trying this, thanks!

Special place in my heart for you, (or a tiny pic of you) Canvas.

Interwed and P.T. to The Hot Rosegin

Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
The line is forming. You could be waiting awhile...
AKA: meowzilla

My Mood: Lurking
miau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorant question here... I've heard of the aluminum issues, but what is paraben, and why is it bad?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:58 PM
CDN's Official Fairy Princess
HARD all.the.time
AKA: army mommy of 5

My Mood: Bashful
Annonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond repute

I use funk butter. http://oyinhandmade.com/shop/index.p...&products_id=7 Love it, and Im a heavy sweater
Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzilla View Post
Ignorant question here... I've heard of the aluminum issues, but what is paraben, and why is it bad?
A paraben is a cosmetic preservative. It's also a weak xenoestrogen, so it acts like estrogen in the body. Breast cancer tumors often have high concentrations of parabens in them--though there's no proven cause and effect relationship.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM
The line is forming. You could be waiting awhile...
AKA: meowzilla

My Mood: Lurking
miau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond repute

Do most deodorants have paraben? I've only ever looked for the aluminum.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Most every kind of mainstream cosmetic or body care product will contain one or another type of paraben: methylparaben, butylparaben, and on and on.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

I use the roll on from www.theallnaturalface.com and its awesome. Even on some super hot and humid days here I didn't have any odor at all. I love it! It feels good too- doesn't even bother me on days I shave. I have the lemongrass one. I bought the Sandalwood one for DH. Even he says he doesn't stink when he works out and that's saying something LOL
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).