ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Safety Section

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
I can get some from the internet

My Mood: Nerdy
Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default DD wants out of her booster seat

DD is 8, 4'6 but only 50 pounds. She is thin and will likely always be that way. I let ODS out of his booster at 10. DD passes the 5 point test for sitting in our suv, but she is only 50 pounds. (she was also a premie and started at 5 pounds) I just dont know when to allow a child out of a booster. GA state law is 8 years and under in a seat of some sort. ODS was only 60 pounds when he got out of his booster, but again he was 10. I just don't know what to tell her. If she has to wait until a certain weight, she may well be in her seat until she is a teen. lol What would you do?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

my DD is 2 months younger than yours and I've been wondering this too. She's not asking to get out, mind you - but I know it's coming. (I think the rec here is 9 but I'm not sure... At all)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

Weight isn't quite as important as height. The general guide line is 4'9" but that doesn't take the vehicle itself into account. Some kids may 5 step test in smaller vehicles/smaller seats (such as the back row of an SUV or van) before they 5 step in other vehicles. On the other hand, at 8, her bones are still on the immature side. A booster does more than position the lap and shoulder belt, it also takes some of the force of the lap belt off the lower abdomen.

So honestly, she's sort of in a grey area right now. I can't really say for sure what I'd do without seeing a pic of the belt fit on her though.

Also, what booster is she in now? There are some that are bigger/bulkier and some that are much more low profile and look less "babyish". I wish she was heavy enough for the incognito. It's made specifically to be... well, incognito. lol

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute

She is just always going to be tiny. We are so happy she is finally consistently weighing 50 pounds. I didn't even forward face her until she was 4 because that was when she hit 30pounds. She has dealt with severe food allergies and digestive issues which is the reason she is so small. I just don't know what to tell her KWIM?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 PM

urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell her the truth. You don't have to be graphic or go into the details of seat belt syndrome. lol But she's old enough to comprehend that the booster protects her by making the lap belt fit low, away from her internal organs. As my friend put it to her 7 year old "this keeps the seat belt from squishing your guts".

Seat belts only have to pass testing for the 5'2" dummy on up. They simply aren't designed for an 8 year old's fragile body.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 01-28-2015, 02:34 PM

I think my question here is WHEN is it safe for her to be out of the seat then? 10, 12, at what age is it safe. If seatbelts are only safe for 5'2 and up then I should be in a booster too? Im not 5'2.
~~~~~~~
Im not trying to be snarky here either, I just genuinely dont know.

Last edited by Bellamoon; 01-28-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

You also have an adult skeleton, so that's not a fair comparison.

My son will be 9 in April, is 70lbs and 4'9", but is still in a booster. He only 5-steps in the third row bench in my Tahoe. In the captain chairs, and in the backseat of our Cruze, the lap belt still provides an improper fit.

I will re-evaluate when he's 10. At this point, his safety outweighs his opinion. However, he has never minded being in a booster even though most of his friends have been out of their's for years. He understands that they help to keep him safe. I don't sugar coat safety at all for my kids. They need to know the dangers.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM

Short teens and adults are a different story. Post-puberty, the hip bones are mature and more prominent so height isn't as big of a concern. However, if I were an adult under 5' and 120lbs, I would not hesitate to use the Incognito. With Bram's dwarfism, I'm sure he'll be in one of those (or similar) throughout his adulthood.

For pre-pubescent kids however, the general consensus is 4'9". But of course, you want to go with whatever makes the belt fit best. If it fits better without the booster, by all means ditch it.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 PM

4'9" thank you! That is the magic number I am looking for! Something concrete I can tell her. I keep telling her not yet, her body isn't ready, but she is a very by the numbers girl and wanted a more definitive answer as to "when"

Old 01-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Deep I like it deep.

My Mood: Cheerful
MeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond repute

My kid is a numbers kid too, I always tell him that we will reassess at whatever number. He still has a number to look forward to but doesn't freak out when we get there and the answer is still no.

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~Les Brown

Autocorrect likes to change names on me, I'm sorry if I call you something else.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM
I want my cooter bedazzled.
AKA: ClothDiaperMePlease

My Mood: Breezy
Elle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond repute

My 11 year old is still in his booster because he isn't 4'9.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest will be 9 in April also and she is still in a booster. She just accepts it for what it is and hasn't asked. She knows it keeps her safe. I will probably do the 5 step test when she is 9 and see where she falls. I have no idea how tall she is right now.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not even sure 4'9" should be *the* height in which to give an exact yes. My son *is* 4'9" and can only 5-step in bench seats in big vehicles (large trucks and our Tahoe). In all other seats, the lap belt still hits his soft abdomen which could cause internal organ damage in an accident.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I'm not even sure 4'9" should be *the* height in which to give an exact yes. My son *is* 4'9" and can only 5-step in bench seats in big vehicles (large trucks and our Tahoe). In all other seats, the lap belt still hits his soft abdomen which could cause internal organ damage in an accident.
It's not what I would necessarily go by either, but it's a good guide line for the general population. For the majority of parents (particularly the random ones at seat checks), a concrete height is going to stick with them much longer than "move them out of the booster once they can do A, B, C, D, and E". And a height is a much better guess than an age. So in reality, its the "one size fits most" answer the pros have come up with. Some states have already started to adopt it as law and hopefully they all will eventually because the 6, 7, or even 8 year min doesn't cut it for the vast majority of kids.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 PM

DD is a slow grower so it may well take her 3 years to get those three inches anyways. I told her we would re-evaluate at 4'9