ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Safety Section

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 05:39 PM
I need a blow job

My Mood: Happy
mandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond repute
Default car accident - new car seats?

DH got in a wreck this morning, he had DS with him. DD's seat was also in the vehicle. Both seats need replaced, right? (nobody is hurt, BTW! someone ran a red light coming through the intersection and T-boned them on DS's side but he wasn't going very fast). I am not sure on the condition of the car, if it will be considered totaled, but not sure if it has to be totaled to replace seats anyway.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM
i'm a virgin.... lol it's been a while since i could say that.

My Mood: Lurking
impchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond reputeimpchild has a reputation beyond repute

Yes new seats.

momma to the little man 10/22/07
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM
I need a blow job

mandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond repute

The other guy's insurance "should" cover that, right?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
wanting to eat tongue

My Mood: Worried
emerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond reputeemerelaino has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry. I'm glad everyone is ok, but yes definitely replace both seats. Even with no visible damage, the structural integrity of the seats is something I would not trust even after a minor fender bender.

Laura
Mom to 3 big girls and
2 little twin boys
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will need both seats replaced. The other insurance will cover it if fault is not disputed, and if you are in a state that assigns fault to accidents. But you will probably have to buy the new seats and submit for reimbursement, since presumably you will need them right away, not whenever they get around to processing the claim.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, new seats, and the other party's insurance will cover it. Most reimburse you after the seats have been bought since you tend to need the seats before the insurance company cuts the check out to you.
~~~~~~~
Orrr, I could have read all of the replies and simply said to Andrea.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)

Last edited by Brandi; 03-04-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I need a blow job

So DH and I are doing some research (on the NHTSA site) and as far as what they recommend for replacing seats, DS's seat needs to be replaced, but not DD's (the door near DS's seat was slightly damaged). I realize if the insurance company will pay for both it isnt a big deal, but they may not want to pay for DD's and maybe wont even pay for DS's (though if they fight us on his seat, I will cite the NHTSA thing to them). My DH is an engineer and wants me to give him specifics on why the seats need replaced, especially if the insurance wont cover them. He seems pretty convinced that car seat companies are using every excuse possible to make money off people and that is why they insist on replacing seats after every accident. Which I get and agree with to an extent but I also am not willing to risk my kids' safety - cant put a price on that, yk?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Most (probably all) car seat manufacturers specify replacement after *any* accident. You can cite that to the other insurance company if the are refusing.

The reasoning? Car seats aren't made of metal like cars are. It's hard to see if they were stressed at key points during the force of an accident, and if they were, they might not perform adequately in a subsequent accident. No one is going to do any testing to prove that a car seat can adequately protect a child in a second collision. They are tested and warranted for a single event only. Additionally, the foam that protects heads that is in most seats now is indisputably a single use product. Just like a bike helmet, when it absorbs force, it compresses, cracks internally, etc.

So yes, a seat away from the accident, in a minor collision, without a child in it, is *probably* ok. But no one has ever tested it to know for sure that it is. And there is no way to look at the seat yourself and know for sure that it is.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM
I need a blow job

Thanks so much for that info, Andrea! I had my DH read your post and it makes sense to him; that helps a lot more than me just saying "I dunno WHY, I just know you're SUPPOSED TO! I read it on CDN!!" He's an engineer and always wants the reasons and the science behind things; I can rarely give reasons, my brain just works so differently from his.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:47 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

The only seats that follow NHTSA's guidelines are Britax and Diono, though I believe at least one of those companies has retracted that even. All other manuals will say to replace in the event of *any* accident.

Also, under NHTSA guidelines even something like muscle stiffness/whiplash is considered an injury when you talk about replacing a seat. I would replace both of them without batting an eye, and fight insurance if I had to

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 AM
I've never even heard of the old lady way! I learn so much on CDN...

sburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond reputesburt has a reputation beyond repute

As PP have said, you can probably cite manufacturer's manuals or websites that state replacement is necessary. I would think that should be proof enough for insurance. Hopefully they don't give you a hassle!

(Oh, and I had to laugh at your "I don't know, I read it on CDN!" line!)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 AM
I need a blow job

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburt View Post
As PP have said, you can probably cite manufacturer's manuals or websites that state replacement is necessary. I would think that should be proof enough for insurance. Hopefully they don't give you a hassle!

(Oh, and I had to laugh at your "I don't know, I read it on CDN!" line!)
It's totally true, though!

Thanks everyone for the help!!
~~~~~~~
Oh, and I totally have to admit I am all about replacing DS's seat. It's one of the Graco seats that was in the recent recall, and due to the way Graco handled (or DIDN'T handle) the problem, I was really ticked and honestly would rather have just gotten a new seat out of principle, but can't really afford to/justify getting a new seat on principle alone. Now we get a new seat!!

Last edited by mandy_moo; 03-05-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 AM
I love Tuesdays and waffles, penguins, vulvas, lol cats.
AKA: PrincessConsuelaBananahammock

Zee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry about the accident. So glad everyone is ok.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM
I would give it more if I could figure out how to do it

My Mood: Sluggish
okmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond reputeokmommy06 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad everyone is ok!

I have had to replace seats twice and both times with different insurance companies, they didn't even question it. They just had us send a receipt for the new seat. I hope it's as simple for you guys. I think this is something insurance companies don't want to be responsible for if something were to happen so they lean towards replacing them.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 PM
just watching tv with a hand down my pants

My Mood: Tired
miss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond reputemiss amber has a reputation beyond repute

We actually just went through this a few days ago. My poor Brother fell asleep behind the wheel and hit a parked car 20 feet from my Parents' house. The car seats were in there and Graco said to replace them both. Which he did. I just kept thinking about how it could have happened on the toll road which has a speed limit of 80mph and I get sick to my stomach. I'm so glad your DH and DS are okay.