ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Safety Section

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 PM
has always been confusing
AKA: MamatoZbug

My Mood: Bored
L'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booster seat with latch??

We are thinking about switching Z to a highback booster. He's 6 and meets the weight/age/height requirements.
He is responsible enough to sit properly. My only reservation is the fact that I think he is safer in a 5 point.

So with that said I've started to research them.

I came across the graco affix. It says it has latch. Now obviously he would still require a seatbelt to restrain him in the seat, but what's the point of the latch?

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...uctId=13069721
Old 12-31-2014, 10:43 PM
When it comes to beavers is fresh or vintage better?

My Mood: Fine
k8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the boosters come with latch because it keeps the booster seat connected to the car's seat. Without it the booster could slide around to the side or fly forward in a crash.

We got a high-back booster that had a 5 point harness and then could convert to a belt only booster later. ODS used the harness until he was 9 and his friends we carpooled with mentioned something about it being a baby seat. YDS got his removed at 6 because he puked all over it and I couldn't get the stink out.

Blue Room Creations
ETSY
Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8secondo View Post
I think the boosters come with latch because it keeps the booster seat connected to the car's seat. Without it the booster could slide around to the side or fly forward in a crash.

We got a high-back booster that had a 5 point harness and then could convert to a belt only booster later. ODS used the harness until he was 9 and his friends we carpooled with mentioned something about it being a baby seat. YDS got his removed at 6 because he puked all over it and I couldn't get the stink out.
Actually it has nothig to Do with how it behaves in a crah with a kiddo in it.
It's a convenience feature to keep the booster from being a projectile wen no one is in it. You do not pull the latch right like you would installing a seat.
Also at 6, a properly used and properly fitted booster is as safe as a harness. I would have no trouble switching.
We have a backless affix and love it.

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Latch prevents seat from being a projectile when empty.
~~~~~~~
And..... I'm late to the party. lol

Last edited by Longfarmer; 12-31-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 PM

L'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8secondo View Post

So this is actually one of the biggest reasons. Hes currently in a frontier 85. So at his weight he likely has another 3 years in this seat. But he has friends that have started saying it was a baby seat, and asking why he has to be in it etc. Now I'm perfectly fine ignoring those comments but I know it hurts him.

Good to know about the latch. Does anyone have any recs for boosters? Is the graco affix a good one?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 AM
Where's that title fairy?

Seun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond repute

We have Britax Parkways. I like the anti-submarining clip feature and we've used them both with and without the back and been happy. Currently 10 yo dd is in it backless.

We also have the Graco Nautilus as a booster for 7 yo ds. I don't love it as much, but it's what is making the back seat of our car useable for a kid, so we live with it. It's big and bulky and blocks our vision out that side of the back window.

I like having latch on the boosters because we are bad about remembering to buckle them in when they are empty.

Seun Designs Inc. is closed. Clearance Diaper Covers!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

Harnesses are only safer the child is incapable of sitting correctly (and staying) in the booster.

I prefer to go by the IIHS Best Bet list, in which the Affix makes the cut

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/chi...ters/best-bets
~~~~~~~
only safer if** the child..
~~~~~~~
only safer if** the child..
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)

Last edited by Brandi; 01-01-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Another really good reason to latch a booster is to prevent it from shifting around and covering up the female end of seat belt. It's not a safety issue, but it's damn annoying, especially for kids sitting in the back row of a minivan/suv.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM

I haven't got one yet. Although after reading here about the latch I know i def want that. I'll probably go with the graco affix because I can get it local.

I'm just so hesitant to switch him. He's such a little guy. He's just barely 45 lbs. and although mature enough to ride in a booster (he rides in one when we carpool to hockey) it still makes me so nervous. I always think about Kyles story. http://vimeo.com/2994502

But I know I can't 5 point him forever.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel.

My middle man is 6 now. I'm not switching him right now but I know we are on borrowed time....
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Hippopotame bleu View Post
I haven't got one yet. Although after reading here about the latch I know i def want that. I'll probably go with the graco affix because I can get it local.

I'm just so hesitant to switch him. He's such a little guy. He's just barely 45 lbs. and although mature enough to ride in a booster (he rides in one when we carpool to hockey) it still makes me so nervous. I always think about Kyles story. http://vimeo.com/2994502

Kyle's story is extremely tragic. Kyle was way too young to be booster ready, and a lot of techs speculate that he may have unbuckled himself.

His story is a wonderful example of why you shouldn't booster at 3 or 4 years old, but it doesn't mean a booster isn't safe for a child of appropriate size and maturity

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
my nipples grew

My Mood: Thinking
raindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Hippopotame bleu View Post

Well now I'm bawling
Fiancée to Jason
Old 01-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Where's that title fairy?

Dillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond repute

You could turn your frontier 85 into a booster and see how he fits. It can be hit or miss with younger kids on fit, depending on the car and how the belts retract. The frontier 85 can be latched while used as a booster and I believe you can also use the tether.

We have a sunshine kids monterey- the current model is now the diono cambria, I believe. It has been in use with my son for 5 years now and will expire at the end of this year. We've used it both with the back and backless.

We also have a recaro pro booster that I really like. The newer performance booster comes with latch. It looks like a really nice seat. It can not be used backless.

The Britax parkway sgl can be used both backless or highback. This one comes with an antisubmarine clip which helps keep the lap belt low on the thighs, which is helpful with new booster riders. The clip can also be used with the frontier 85 and newer frontiers, you just have to call Britax and ask for it if you decide to use the frontier as a booster.

We just got an affix a few weeks ago. It fits little kids really well. My 38 lb 4 year old could use it in an emergency if needed, it fits her that well. She'll be harnessed for a couple more years though. It can be used as a high back or backless.

There are a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. A couple, like the Clek Oobr, has rigid latch. We have an oobr for a really small rear seat in a truck without head restraints and it pretty much becomes one with the vehicle.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:52 AM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7 year old who's 43lbs and still in a frontier. I'm very whatever about what others say on it.

In his case, though, he earned it because he's gotten out of his seat while we were driving.

I left my oldest in in his 5pt till he was 8.5 yrs old, but he didn't solidly stay over 40lbs until that point.
~~~~~~~
oh crap- we have parkway boosters which I like.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.

Last edited by yellowitchgrl; 01-15-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN