ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 06-01-2015, 03:15 AM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Bookworm
kelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Essential oils for ADHD?

DH has been told recently by his physician that he should consider meds to help with ADHD. Since the doctor is family, this holds a lot more weight for us than a thirty minute appt. Unfortunately our health insurance makes the recommended meds unrealistic. It seems like something an essential oil concoction could help with, but I really have no experience with EOs outside of the diaper wash. I have researched a bit, and valerian send to be recommended. Anybody try it before, and how would he use it?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:20 AM
Mhm, mhm love me some cooter flavored candy

My Mood: Fine
EmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any oil recommendations, but I do recommend an inhaler as opposed to diffusion or topical application. The metal inhalers from http://www.rivertreelife.com/ are awesome. Or you can get plastic ones from amazon. With a personal inhaler you don't need to worry about if the oil is safe around kids or others that may have medical reasons not to be around certain oils. And he can use it whenever he needs.

Wifey to Carly and Kristen
Old 06-01-2015, 03:40 AM
I love q-tips it's unnatural!

My Mood: Energetic
jujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond reputejujusmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We use several from young living. I have the essential oils pocket reference and there is a lot of information on add/adhd and oils. It talks about inhaling a combo of vetiver, cedarwood and lavender. We use these oils for our kids. We use roller bottles and in my diffuser. It does take some time to figure out what works for you family. I have been unable to completely wean my two off medicine, but honestly I've been so overwhelmed with other things I have not tried too hard. I have used the oils with success when they could not calm down. And I use other oils daily for everything from allergies to aches to teething. Our oils have become a huge part of our life. I will say that I will only use young living. I have tried other oils and have not had the success. I whole heartedly trust the oils I use and do use them internally on myself. In fact, I've had more success using the oils than certain over the counter medicines. If you are interested in more information, you are free to message me.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:47 AM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on other. Needs and/or medical conditions in the family, ages of children etc. for medical use I would consult a certified aromatherapist

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 PM
300 Posts and nothing funny?

debcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond repute

Valerian is the essential oil on which all pharmaceutical benzodiazopenes (I'm having some brain fog and misspelled that) are based. So it is a very powerful oil and not to be messed with lightly. It is also very rank smelling. It can be useful, but it may not be appropriate for the age and might be too potent.

The age of children is an important consideration. You would want to find at least two oils/blends that you could rotate the use of so that they do not get to accustomed (and potentially allergic to) either. But if you are diffusing (which is often the safest and most effective method), you will not want to be regularly diffusing with a baby around. And you will only rarely want to try topical applications (heavily diluted in a carrier oil to 0.5-2% on children younger than 6). Some oils should never be used around or on children depending on their age: http://www.learningabouteos.com/inde...-and-children/

Also there are different types of ADD/ADHD manifestation, some of which actually do best with a mixture of more sedating and more energizing oils and some of which do best with more sedating oils. If you are able to talk to an aromatherapist who has more than the most basic license, that would really be best. Some relaxing oils you could look into would include vetiver, bergamot (make sure the bergaptene has been removed if using topically to avoid sun sensitization), sandalwood, cedarwood, mandarin (relaxing), lemon (can be both relaxing anti-anxiety and stimulating), and lavender. If you have very young kids around and want to diffuse, the safest might be to start with the citrus oils; red mandarin is the favored all purpose relaxing and feel good oil for children in Europe. However, one caution--children with asthma can sometimes be triggered by citrus. And a blend is what is most likely to be helpful. The citrus could just be a potential starting point. Also, here is a cheap blend you could try that has a mixture of sedating and stimulating oils but mostly sedating: http://www.planttherapy.com/index.ph...3#.VWywoKazhRk

HTH!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Deep I like it deep.

My Mood: Cheerful
MeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond repute

Velerian is a sedative (simply put) and with prolonged use can increase anxiety if there is any underlying. cedarwood can trigger asthma.
The naturopath here recommends tinctures over essential oils and in accredited in both from a recognized university. The other naturpath uses supplements but from the people I know having gone to her have had less success with that path. The cost of an ND is much more than the ADHD meds, but the tinctures are typically much less. So if you are looking at it from a straight cost point of view it could very well be less to go the ND route.

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~Les Brown

Autocorrect likes to change names on me, I'm sorry if I call you something else.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 AM

kelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the insight so far. It is my husband, so I am less concerned about concoction ratios from the internet, really good to know that what may work for him should be kept away from the kids. I hadn't thought about that. We live in the boonies, but there is a herb shop locally that I will check out soon. I will see if they could be any help. DH was onboard with the idea when it was just an idea, but implementation is not his strong suit. I will have to coax to drag him down there.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 AM
will be running off with your cooter.
AKA: yeswehave7

My Mood: Question
yeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond repute

Valerian stinks, like really.

For my kids, I've used DT's InTune with only *maybe* seeing any help. I've also used a relaxation blend from Eden's Garden with slightly better results. The InTune makes them smell like a head shop and has not reduced my child's need for meds. She's also *very* ADHD, like with a 3 second attention span.

Look into 5 HTP, we've had better success with that and it was doctor recommended.

Grown/ gone: DD 25, DD 19, DD 18... who has lost her frickin mind!!

My beautiful firstborn son earned his wings on 12/11/16 just 6 weeks after his 23rd birthday. A drunk driver killed my child. Please, please, PLEASE don't drink and drive. I miss my son. :(
Old 06-02-2015, 05:51 AM
I have a stick up my ass today
AKA: KeepYourBabyClose

My Mood: Angelic
MotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond reputeMotherMoonPads has a reputation beyond repute

Can I gently suggest seeing a licensed aromatherapist to help you with this?

Essential oils are amazingly strong, and can be of great value when used properly.
MotherMoonPads Blog Etsy, Facebook
Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 AM
300 Posts and nothing funny?

debcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I missed that it was for your DH! If you do find oils that are helpful, and especially if you consult a quality aromatherapist, a possible method of use for him might be a manly sort of necklace diffuser--leather with Celtic metal design. Kids would get minimal exposure from that, and the oil pads could allow for more of an extended exposure than with personal inhalers.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:37 AM

How do I find an aromatherapist? Google has been no help, or there just aren't any within 100 miles
Old 06-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Mhm, mhm love me some cooter flavored candy

My Mood: Fine
EmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaBelle has a reputation beyond repute

You could check here http://www.aromahead.com/graduates

Wifey to Carly and Kristen
Old 06-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Better keep your beaver away
AKA: Mom24Babes

Location: Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.
My Mood: Cheerful
BeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeBeccatheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I personally know Lea Harris. She's wonderful.

Wifey to Maggie!

I'm a Mary Kay Consultant and Plexus Ambassador, too!