ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 03-04-2015, 01:07 AM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute
Default I am about to flip out.

I just need to vent since it's almost 8pm and obviously can't call anyone to ask them WTAF is going on.

As I'm sure I've mentioned here before, there were some incidents last year with Bram's school that ended in me threatened to go back to homeschooling if something wasn't changed. The solution was to put Bram in full Special Education (vs. mainstream class with resource + therapy). He is in a different school this year with an amazing classroom setting. He is thriving and actually likes going to school now. However, this is literally his fifth school, sixth if you count homeschool.

He went to school #1 for the first few weeks of Kindy before being transferred to school #2 (#1 could not meet his needs and it took that long to get the approval to move). This was in another town 70 miles north of here.

Then he homeschooled most of 1st grade because he lived with his dad in another state temporarily. After moving back in with me, he started at school #3 in February 2013. A couple weeks later, I moved in with DH (then BF). Since school #3 was already over capacity, they asked us to move him to school #4 in DH's neighborhood. This was fine with me because school #3 is actually outside of town and #4 is 1/2 mile from us.

He stayed at #4 through 2nd grade. He has been at school #5 all of this year for 3rd grade.

The ONLY concern the school had when moving him from 4 to 5 was moving him away from his neighborhood peers. It was sad because we did love everyone at #4 (and he was there longer than any other school he'd been to), they just weren't able to meet his needs any longer. He has EVERYTHING he could ever possibly need at #5 and has made new friends there too.

So imagine my shock when I open his binder to find an IEP meeting notice that states we are to meet on the 13th to discuss transferring back to school #3. The school outside of town. The school almost 30 minutes away. The school he spent all of TWO weeks at, TWO years ago. He doesn't know anyone there. It's a smaller school in a smaller town that cannot possibly have the same resources his current school has.

Why in the bloody hell would they DOWNGRADE him, especially when it's so much farther away? There are like FOUR elementary schools between here and there. And if they wanted him there, why didn't they put him there THIS year? Clearly they aren't that concerned with him being stripped from his friends if they are wanting to do it a second damn time.

I am so confused and pissed off right now. All I know is that there's no way he's going there. Even if it DID have a better special ed program, I can't afford the gas to get there and back twice a day so I'd have to put him on the bus at the crack of freakin dawn.

Nope. Just no.

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:17 AM
Ohhhh sexy girlfriend...no more yanky my wanky...

My Mood: Sluggish
LisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond repute

:h ahano:

That's about all I have to say about that! I think I would walk into the IEP and look each person in the eye and say, "There is no point wasting anyone's time. The answer is NO." I'm pissed for you and really pissed for Bram!

New (old fart) college student. Working hard to be a Social Worker when I grow up.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:23 AM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

That is unbelievable. Why are they wanting to transfer him? And what happens if you refuse?
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 AM
All I hAd to do was read the thread title and... Instant kegels.

My Mood: In Love
Jae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. No. Just, really, no. What reason are they giving? I'd definitely try to contact a parent advocate before the IEP meeting.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 AM

urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

No reason listed whatsoever. I haven't heard a single thing about this before now and I've always been under the impression that he would be staying at the new school through 6th grade.

I also just saw that "second notice" is checked. Uh, no. I check every single thing in his binder every day.

They also have my first and maiden names listed which is a bit strange since I'm Duffy on EVERYTHING and have been since the end of 2013. Honestly, I'm hoping like hell it's somehow a mistake. Either way, I'll be calling this Lorainne person tomorrow. Hopefully she can at least tell me WTF is going through the heads of whoever decided this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11019231_10153150222669445_8941579810780343184_n.jpg (73.2 KB, 41 views)

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 01:41 AM

Oh, and I suppose the worst the could do is move him back to his district school (#4) which is the one 1/2 mile away.

Or we go back to homeschooling. I will do that over sending him outside of town in a heartbeat.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 01:54 AM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

1. If they choose to transfer him and he is on an IEP you can an should get transport from your home to school and back

2. Get an advocate to go with you to the meeting. Here we have PAVE but I'm not sure what the local to you version is

3. They are full of so much ~POOP~. So much

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 03-04-2015, 02:00 AM

Actually, no, I take that back. They wouldn't be able to move him back to his district school because it doesn't have an actual special ed setting. The way I understood it, once you sign on for special ed, it's pretty much permanent because he won't be receiving an actual diploma when he graduates. Unless he magically caught up to his same age peers, I suppose.

So honestly, I don't know.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulChaos View Post
1. If they choose to transfer him and he is on an IEP you can an should get transport from your home to school and back

2. Get an advocate to go with you to the meeting. Here we have PAVE but I'm not sure what the local to you version is

3. They are full of so much ~POOP~. So much
Oh, I know they are required to provide transport. He actually rides the SN bus to school this year. The school is 4.5 miles away but through super heavy traffic. So it was easier to just put him on the bus even though pick up time is 35 minutes before school starts.

Even that is pushing it though so I'd imagine if he rode the bus to/from the other school, his school day would be extended significantly. And with his size, low tone, and hormone deficiencies, he simply doesn't have the stamina that other kids his age have. It's like putting a 3-4 year old on the bus at like 7am and expecting them to make it to 4 without crashing. He'd be miserable.

I will look into how I'd go about getting an advocate. Every IEP meeting we've had previously has gone smoothly so I've never had to do that before.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 PM

So I just got off the phone with the counselor and she's going to have Bram's teacher call me to explain more.

But basically she said that Bram's teacher's program is K-3 and that the kids are typically sent to Rich Pond for 4th. I do remember now his teacher saying at the open house "we usually have younger kids but this year we'll have at least one 4th/5th grader" but I didn't realize that meant they booted the kids that were already in the program.

I don't see how anyone thinks this is fair. So special ed kids are supposed to just move to a new school every damn year? I never had more than ONE friend from K-5th thanks to my dead beat father always moving us around and it SUCKED. But at least I could comprehend it. Bram doesn't understand it and I hate that they're doing this to him AGAIN.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Since it is your local neighborhood school, can you refuse to move? Are his friends in the SN classes with him? Would any be moving with him?

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
Since it is your local neighborhood school, can you refuse to move? Are his friends in the SN classes with him? Would any be moving with him?
The school he is in currently is out of district and our neighborhood school isn't an option at all at this point since they have no legit special ed program.

There are 6 kids in his special ed class and they are a mix of K-5. I'm wanting to say there are four K-2nd graders and one 5th. Since Bram is the only one who will be in 4th next year, I'm assuming he's the only one getting the boot.

And of course, none of the other 23 kids in his mainstream class will be moving with him either.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Damn. That really sucks. I wonder if you'd have any luck insisting that he stay (since there is a 5th grader there, too) until several students can be moved in a group.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
Damn. That really sucks. I wonder if you'd have any luck insisting that he stay (since there is a 5th grader there, too) until several students can be moved in a group.
That's what I'm hoping but I'm thinking the 5th grader may be one of the deaf students. If that's the case, that would be why they are still there because this school is set up as a school for the deaf. But that was one of the pluses for sending Bram there. There are two certified ASL interpreters on campus. As far as I know, he won't have that at Rich Pond.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
my nipples grew

My Mood: Thinking
raindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond repute

Fiancée to Jason