ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Stop playing with the soap!

AngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond repute
Question Emotional/social/behavioral delay?

DS2 is 4 and will be starting K next year. He still has some major behavioral issues that I have NEVER encountered before. I think we need to get him evaluated for these before school starts.
How would I go about getting this done? Should we speak to his Pedi or his neurologist or both? Can he be evaluated for just those specific things or would they want to cover it all (I'm pretty sure his cognitive and motor skills are on track)?
Also, what should I expect going into this? This is all new to me and though I don't want to be that mom that is overly worried, I really think he needs to be seen about his behavior. Thank you for any and all help!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 PM
my will power isn't strong enough to turn down the beaver butt

My3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond repute

He's too old for Early Intervention so I would call either your school district and/or your health department and ask about an evaluation.

Yes, I have 4 sons. No, I'm not changing my username.

I LOVE to trade! Try me!

North Star Knits is now on Facebook!

North Star Knits is on Etsy.

*Newly hitched to Holly Golightly*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
But seriously yo, don't mess with the crazy string people. COLORED STRING 4 LYFE!!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Bookworm
Apple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond reputeApple has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact the pedi if you think it is medical like ADHD, Bipolar, or things like that. I would definitely contact the school and get them on board. If you have concerns it is only fair to clue the teacher in on them too and ask them what can be done. Some school have stopped behavior testing unless it is to place them in a behavior and social skills classroom. Even then the goal of the school is to place them in their least restrictive environment not diagnose them.

Wifey to Bellamoon
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM

AngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond reputeAngelicScars has a reputation beyond repute

That'll be tough. With his behavior now, I seriously doubt he will do well at all in a normal classroom setting. I'm pretty sure he would be a disruption in the classroom. He is the type that has to do things at his own pace. If anyone tried to get him to do something he doesn't want to do, he'll shut down.
Honestly though, if I really need to, we can do K12 at home until he is properly evaluated or until he's ready to go to school.
He does have a neuro appt. on the 22nd and he sees the pedi next month. We can talk to them both and the school and see what we need to do.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
damn there went my bacon penis
AKA: mtfbwy72

My Mood: Angelic
Stacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond repute

Go for both. Talk to your Ped and find out if there is a Developmental Ped or Child development center in your area he can refer you to. Also get on the Child Find website and go to you state and then your county and it will give you the agency to contact to get evaluated through the local school system.
"This is not my child that I expected and planned for. This is an alien child who landed in my life by accident. I don't know who this child is or what it will become. But I know it's a child, stranded in an alien world, without parents of its own kind. It needs someone to care for it, to teach it, to interpret and to advocate for it. And that job is mine if I want it." - Jim Sinclair, Don't Mourn
Katie7617 is my common law wifey and married to the.real.babycakes cause FB says so

Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Oh thank you! I'll definitely do that!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I like dead plants

My Mood: Blah
kitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond repute

child find for sure. he might qualify for free preschool and there is where big strides can be made. i'm a proponent of prek for everyone -- typical and not -- so i'd be looking into that.

if he learns classroom skills now, kindy will be easier for everyone.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Okay just checked Child Find and it is in our area and it has dates that they evaluate children. I see that the center is at the same children's hospital as his neurologist so she might actually know about it and give us more information.
~~~~~~~
I have no problem with putting him in pre-k/4K, as long as he has a way to get there. My 1st grader has to ride the bus too because daddy is working either when he goes to school or gets out of school. We only have the one car and I don't have a license. If they provide transportation, then I'd be all for it.

Last edited by AngelicScars; 08-09-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
has always been confusing
AKA: MamatoZbug

My Mood: Bored
L'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond reputeL'Hippopotame bleu has a reputation beyond repute

Im a member of a local epilepsy support group, and it seems to be pretty common for children with epilepsy to be delayed in social, emotional and developmental delays. Behaviorally speaking, my 4 yr old is very immature. He cries alot over silly things, seems to have a very, very short fuse when it comes to lashing out, and anger. Very short attention span....There's a number of things our neurologist thinks could cause behavior delays in children with epilepsy, so I'd say a call or visit to the neurologist may be beneficial.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
i never stuck out,
and i will always remember my first time

My Mood: Amused
mayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond reputemayasmommie has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know about yours, but here, for 3 and 4 year old preschool, they are bussed just like the other kids, so if other one gets bussed through the school, he should also
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura
My life looks very lived in, that's why my friends are so comfortable in it ♥♥♥

Maya says the only monsters that live in our house are the ones that mama makes...come check them out
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
what the labradoodle?
AKA: GirlsPlayWoW2

Jenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond reputeJenga has a reputation beyond repute

Monster has some behavioral issues and sensory problems. I finally got the courage to bring it up to the ped (I thought that she'd just think we are bad parents) and she sent us for an eval at a local clinic. We have been going once a week. We were already working on his issues and had made progress but I think we all needed guidance still.

We used our local Child Find and they told me to put him in the free state Pre-K because he would flourish under their care and I was too busy with the other kids to give him the attention he so desperately needed.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
my will power isn't strong enough to turn down the beaver butt

My3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond reputeMy3sons has a reputation beyond repute

Here, only the special ed kids get busing to preschool. Otherwise, it is the parent's responsibility to get theme there. Logan rode the bus for 3 years to pre-k because he was in special ed, but I had to drive the other 2 because they are/were not.

Yes, I have 4 sons. No, I'm not changing my username.

I LOVE to trade! Try me!

North Star Knits is now on Facebook!

North Star Knits is on Etsy.

*Newly hitched to Holly Golightly*
Quote:
But seriously yo, don't mess with the crazy string people. COLORED STRING 4 LYFE!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Hippopotame bleu View Post
Im a member of a local epilepsy support group, and it seems to be pretty common for children with epilepsy to be delayed in social, emotional and developmental delays. Behaviorally speaking, my 4 yr old is very immature. He cries alot over silly things, seems to have a very, very short fuse when it comes to lashing out, and anger. Very short attention span....There's a number of things our neurologist thinks could cause behavior delays in children with epilepsy, so I'd say a call or visit to the neurologist may be beneficial.
I wondered if it was linked to his seizure disorder, that's why I do bring it up to the neuro when we go there (every 3 months). My son is a lot like that. He will lash out over simple things and shut down, have all out screaming and kicking at stores and won't calm down for ANYTHING (and this is why we won't be taking him out in public anymore), hell even this morning because we wouldn't let him wear long sleeves (TOO hot) he ran into the play room and laid under the table naked until we were able to convince him to put on clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayasmommie View Post
i don't know about yours, but here, for 3 and 4 year old preschool, they are bussed just like the other kids, so if other one gets bussed through the school, he should also
That's good to know, I can check on that.

Quote:
Monster has some behavioral issues and sensory problems. I finally got the courage to bring it up to the ped (I thought that she'd just think we are bad parents) and she sent us for an eval at a local clinic. We have been going once a week. We were already working on his issues and had made progress but I think we all needed guidance still.

We used our local Child Find and they told me to put him in the free state Pre-K because he would flourish under their care and I was too busy with the other kids to give him the attention he so desperately needed.
Yeah, see I was worried that they would think I'm blowing "typical 4 year old behavior" out of proportion. I'm going to bring it up either way.
And wow about what Child Find told you. That wouldn't fly with Att. I'd LOOOOVE them to see how much he would flourish in that environment. I'd imagine they'd change their tune rather quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3sons View Post
Here, only the special ed kids get busing to preschool. Otherwise, it is the parent's responsibility to get theme there. Logan rode the bus for 3 years to pre-k because he was in special ed, but I had to drive the other 2 because they are/were not.
Hmmm, I'll definitely need to check our local school to see what they do about that.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM
damn there went my bacon penis
AKA: mtfbwy72

My Mood: Angelic
Stacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond reputeStacylicious has a reputation beyond repute

Riley has done so unbelievably well in the special ed preschool program through the schools I am excited to see how well he can do in Pre-k. Here Riley can take a bus if we need as long he is at his zoned/assigned school. Last year they let me pick his school so I did transportion.
"This is not my child that I expected and planned for. This is an alien child who landed in my life by accident. I don't know who this child is or what it will become. But I know it's a child, stranded in an alien world, without parents of its own kind. It needs someone to care for it, to teach it, to interpret and to advocate for it. And that job is mine if I want it." - Jim Sinclair, Don't Mourn
Katie7617 is my common law wifey and married to the.real.babycakes cause FB says so

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I had to find out WTH a cooter was
AKA: juststeph

My Mood: Psychedelic
VinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
He will lash out over simple things and shut down, have all out screaming and kicking at stores and won't calm down for ANYTHING (and this is why we won't be taking him out in public anymore), hell even this morning because we wouldn't let him wear long sleeves (TOO hot) he ran into the play room and laid under the table naked until we were able to convince him to put on clothes.
That sounds exactly like how my 6yo would react to the same thing. The smallest things set him off and it's impossible to calm him down. Yesterday, it was the sun being out. Yep. He melted down because the sun was coming in the car window and he couldn't see his DS, so his character kept dying. He came home, screaming the whole way (DH brought them home-I was already there and wondering wtf happened this time-it's common), went in his room, slammed his door. DH went in there and asked what he wanted for dinner and he just yelled/grunted at DH. We've learned to just give him space and let him calm down. We tried hugging it out or talking soothingly, etc. That just pissed him off even more. He needs his space when he has a meltdown (about once every day or two). It's exhausting and makes me want to yell back, but I'm learning as we go.
~~~~~~~
Oh, and he has mild ASD and anxiety.
~~~~~~~
And although he had some behavioral issues at school, he was much better there than at home. I think it's the structured environment school provides. It helps him stay sane during the day. He NEEDS routine. If we pick DS up half an hour early from after-care, he has a meltdown. He knows exactly how much time he should get to play at certain times. So if we get off early, we go home and wait until the right time to get him or our house will be hell that night.

He starts 1st grade at a new school tomorrow and I'm prepared for a rough couple weeks as he adjusts. His teacher is well-aware of his issues, as is the special ed teacher and speech pathologist.

Last edited by VinhThiMom; 08-09-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN