ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Crafty Corner > Craft Chat

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

My Mood: Sleepy
Shaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recipes for getting different colors with Kool aid or wiltons

I found all this on Ravelry and wanted to share. Its somewhat random that I copied into a document but I think you'll find it helpful.

Wiltons Red #30 is better than other red they have. Maybe not better than KA

Black with Kool ade
I used 4 IBRL, 2 Lemonade, & 5/8 grape on 50g…but I was trying to keep a blue tone to it.
You could cut back on the IBRL if you want.

For grey
3 1/3 packs lemonade, 1/2 grape and 1/4 berry blue. There are three different shades of gray here,
each with a different dilution of the mixture.

Brown
Orange KA + grape KA= chocolate brown.

To get brown from Kool-Aid, I mixed 5 packs of Lemon-Lime to 1 pack of Cherry per every 30 grams of yarn.

Brown is what you get when you mix red + blue + yellow. One of the easiest ways to get brown is to mix
a secondary color with it’s compliment (green + red; purple + yellow; blue + orang.) In Kool-Aid terms,
like people are saying, Grape + Orange is a good way to get brown. You can play around with different amounts
of grape and orange to see what brown you like best, or you can add more colors (blues, greens) to see what you get.

Also, if you’re dyeing over another color, that’ll dictate how you get to brown. Dyeing a yellow yarn with purple
will get brown, or dyeing a green yarn with red, etc.

More on color mixing for brown.
Primary Color + Complementary Secondary Color = Tertiary Color

Red + Green = Brown
Yellow + Purple = Brown
Blue + Orange = Brown

But, since Blue food coloring / koolaid doesn’t attach to the wool in the same way as other colors/ flavors, you
have to make a slight adjustment,
and I too like Grape and Orange for a sweet Brown.

Greens
forest green mixing Mandarina Tangerina and Berry Blue
I got a nice dark kelly green from the Berry Blue and the Lemon Lime.

Pinks
Light pink with Pink Lemonade
Darker if you add a pinch or so of strawberrry
Also wiltons Neon pink and other pinks are good.

NOTES
wiltons doesn’t dissolve as fast or as well as KA. I’ve gotten lots of splotching with it as well unless I mix it with
invisible KA. oR VINEGER, Wiltons needs the acid to set.

This seems to be working well for me so I thought I’d pass it along to those of you who don’t really know where to
start with Wiltons. I take a new full jar
of the wiltons paste and dilute it with 1-1/2 cups of boiling water in a 2 cup mason jar. I store it in the fridge
so it’s all ready to go when I’m ready to dye. This avoids the blobs that don’t dissolve really well because I’m too
impatient to wait.

I then use about 1/8 cup of dye solution (for red - more) and 1/2 tsp of citric acid per ounce of yarn. I usually
then dye it on the stovetop in my large roaster. Use lots of water in the roaster for an even, solid colour dye job,
or not so much for some interesting varigated effects.

One more thing, I only use red, royal blue, yellow and black. In theory, you should be able to get most any
colour with those.
My daddy passed away 5/6/13. Almost a year now.
I am usually reading, knitting or plotting which to do next if i'm not herding my wild bunch.
Ravelry
Goodreads
Pinterest
I was catch up reading a blog the other day and this stuck with me. When your having a bad/mad mom kinda day.
"Just remember, you're all she/he has in the world…"
http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/20...at-target.html
Old 10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I go inside but only a little.
Does that make me a tease?
AKA: Pookamama

My Mood: Artistic
River_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond reputeRiver_Song has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much! I was thinking of doing this, and now I know how!!! You rock!
~~~~~~~
could we get this stickied so I can find it again later?

Last edited by River_Song; 10-27-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned
AKA: Simply Sanity Creations - B/S/T with Caution - Not allowed to B/S on CDN

My Mood: Busy
Sanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond repute

A sticky would be awesome
Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Administrator

My Mood: Sleepy
Shaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond repute

Sure I will sticky it for you!
My daddy passed away 5/6/13. Almost a year now.
I am usually reading, knitting or plotting which to do next if i'm not herding my wild bunch.
Ravelry
Goodreads
Pinterest
I was catch up reading a blog the other day and this stuck with me. When your having a bad/mad mom kinda day.
"Just remember, you're all she/he has in the world…"
http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/20...at-target.html
Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Happy
Kristina93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the great info!

Crafty, crunchy, and everything in between at some point in time.

www.hyenacart.com/underthehillcrafts
Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 PM
I give the best bjs ever.
AKA: MamaBauer3

My Mood: Cloud_9
Cootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond reputeCootie Queen has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this. I need help! I want to dye a nice granny smith apple green. Can you give me any tips?