ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Places to Chat > Hot Buttons

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I don't see anything, but I do remember seeing that for VA whe nI was looking at my son's school for next year. My friend just moved to Maryland and she pulled her kindergartner out of school in March and I don't think she re-enrolled him b/c I tihnk he was going to be held back so she pulled him out all together. Anyway, I remember telling her to check on the law there b/c she might be in violation if she doesn't submit a letter to what his school would be.
~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhreubel View Post
Half day kindy is being phased out here, it's full day school for 3-4yr/os. It sounds like way too much to me.
wow.... that's way too much.
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).

Last edited by Shopaholic; 05-01-2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM
can't stop looking at it

My Mood: Cheeky
Rosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond repute

The compulsory school age in Indiana is 7. That's another thing that should be the same everywhere, I think.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
The compulsory school age in Indiana is 7. That's another thing that should be the same everywhere, I think.
maybe that's what I'm thinking. I was thinking that every state must have somehting you have to submit for kindergarten due to compulsory school laws but it could be something that's a later age like you said, 7..... I know our school district says that no matter what age you start school, if you are starting for the first time ever, it must be kindergarten. I used to think kindergarten was not mandatory but I guess it is. I know my mom didn't do kindergarten and went right to first grade,but obviously that was a long time ago!
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).
Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
molesting the number 8.
AKA: Banyan Tree Diapers

My Mood: Tired
Dalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
I feel like we're pushing kids earlier and earlier and it's not making them smarter. Maybe American kids don't out-perform kids in China but is that really a bad thing? Kids need to do more and to be more and to work more and I think all that does is make them tiny adults when they should get to be children for a while.
I totally agree. By pushing early academics before children are ready all we are doing is overloading them and sucking all the love of learning out of them. By the time 1st or 2nd grade comes around, when they are actually ready for the hard core learning, they are so burnt out they want nothing to do with school anymore.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Here in CA, K is not mandatory. But you have to file paperwork the year that your kid turns 6 before Dec 1.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
CoOp Hostess
I was powerful when I was asleep

Alexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond repute

OUr compulsory attendance age is 6. I never realized how much that varied state to state!

My older son turns 5 in June. He is excited for kindergarten and I think he is ready. He does 3 full days of preK this year and loves it.

My younger is an October baby. We'll see where he is when he is a bit bigger.

I do know up here that if your child attends any public pre-K (including head start), that cannot stay in preK if they are "old enough" to go to kindergarten (5 by december 1st). Legally, they cannot stay in a preK class unless you use a private preschool and they allow it. SO we end up with a lot of young kids (still 4 when they start kindergarten). A few years ago my district started a "Young 5s" program for kids with birthdays close to the cutoff. It basically functions as a gap year between preK and K (and for some, a first school experience if they did not attend PreK). It's been a great program for some kids.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yup, I put every pound back on... and then some Starting over from scratch.....
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM
molesting the number 8.

Dalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnichols1 View Post
I'm another fence rider. Ultimately, I wish parents would take the maturity of their child into consideration instead of so many of them just shipping them away to kindergarten the second they turn 5.

DS just turned 7 and he started kindergarten in the fall at 6 1/2. He is a leader in his classroom and reads on a 3rd grade level. DD2 just turned 5 in March and although she reads as well as DS, she won't be entering Kindergarten this fall because she's not ready from a maturity standpoint. She's also pretty small for her age and I want to give her another year to grow/mature before I send her to school.

DD1 started Kindergarten at 5 and DD3 (about to turn 3) - I foresee her being ready to go at 5, but they were/are more mature for their ages than my middle 2. It all just depends on the individual child and how ready they are.
One issue I do have with sending kids to school a year later is this. That's awesome for your child. But he's a year and half older than most of the other kids on the classroom, and when they are this young a year and half makes a BIG difference in what they can master. My son, on the other hand, who started K on schedule is still struggling with all of the reading. When you have a K class with a bunch of children a year ahead of the others, then usually that means the teacher will teach at the older kids level, putting that much pressure on the kids that are actually performing at or below their age level.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalila View Post
One issue I do have with sending kids to school a year later is this. That's awesome for your child. But he's a year and half older than most of the other kids on the classroom, and when they are this young a year and half makes a BIG difference in what they can master. My son, on the other hand, who started K on schedule is still struggling with all of the reading. When you have a K class with a bunch of children a year ahead of the others, then usually that means the teacher will teach at the older kids level, putting that much pressure on the kids that are actually performing at or below their age level.
That is *always* the case, to some extent, though. I started K right on time (july birthday, I was just barely 5), and I was way ahead academically, too. The school wanted to skip me forward a grade, but my mom declined. I agree with her decision. I struggled socially as it was, and it would have been horribly magnified if I'd been a year younger than 99% of my class mates.

FWIW, my teachers didn't advance the rest of the class to cater to me, at all. The better teachers gave me extra work, expected extra from projects, etc. I participated in the GATE program. But in most of my elementary classes, I would quietly read a book in my desk during class time if my work was done, or if I already knew the subject matter being taught. For group work, I was often paired up with a student who was struggling, and I would help them.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

I see this as a good thing, but I am also very unimpressed with the huge change of Kindergarten academics. When I was in K, back in, what, the late 80's, we went half days. I remember lots of playtime and reading, and simple academics. We did not learn to read until the 1st grade.

Now our Kindergarten classes are full days. My son is beyond exhausted when he gets home, but it's way too late to have him take a nap. We usually spend the few hours, from the time I pick him up, until dinner time, warding off meltdowns.

He's also struggling to read. I do NOT expect him to know how to read, but his school does. It's highly frustrating because, by the time he gets home, he's too emotional to work even more with me, so helping him myself becomes an issue. Sometimes I regret sending him to Kindergarten at the "right" time, and I often wish I enrolled him a year 'late'.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
molesting the number 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
I see this as a good thing, but I am also very unimpressed with the huge change of Kindergarten academics. When I was in K, back in, what, the late 80's, we went half days. I remember lots of playtime and reading, and simple academics. We did not learn to read until the 1st grade.

Now our Kindergarten classes are full days. My son is beyond exhausted when he gets home, but it's way too late to have him take a nap. We usually spend the few hours, from the time I pick him up, until dinner time, warding off meltdowns.

He's also struggling to read. I do NOT expect him to know how to read, but his school does. It's highly frustrating because, by the time he gets home, he's too emotional to work even more with me, so helping him myself becomes an issue.
Sometimes I regret sending him to Kindergarten at the "right" time, and I often wish I enrolled him a year 'late'.
This is exactly what happens to Jeremy.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I am SO EXCITED!!

My Mood: Stressed
Treighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond reputeTreighsie has a reputation beyond repute

I would love if the date was pushed back. Owen COULD start school in Sept when he is still 4, but I knew when he was born that I wouldn't do that so I'm holding him back. SO many people think I'm crazy! But my older boys were born in March and then May, and they still struggle.

I know too many kids who start early because their parents didn't want to pay for daycare, including the girl I used to watch, Ilana. She turned 5 in November, but started school because the cut off here is Dec 1. Not only was she tiny, and young, but sooo immature, and had NEVER been to preschool. I hope she does okay.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandzoesmom View Post
OUr compulsory attendance age is 6. I never realized how much that varied state to state!

My older son turns 5 in June. He is excited for kindergarten and I think he is ready. He does 3 full days of preK this year and loves it.

My younger is an October baby. We'll see where he is when he is a bit bigger.

I do know up here that if your child attends any public pre-K (including head start), that cannot stay in preK if they are "old enough" to go to kindergarten (5 by december 1st). Legally, they cannot stay in a preK class unless you use a private preschool and they allow it. SO we end up with a lot of young kids (still 4 when they start kindergarten). A few years ago my district started a "Young 5s" program for kids with birthdays close to the cutoff. It basically functions as a gap year between preK and K (and for some, a first school experience if they did not attend PreK). It's been a great program for some kids.
that makes sense. They are spending money on that program and all that. Here, we don't have public preschool so some people choose to do five day per week preschool instead of kindergarten if they are young. I know that my friend was considering delaying kindergarten b/c her child was likely goijng to qualify for speech services, but she couldn't b/c the state won't pay for the child's services if they are old enough to be under the town's "burden" financially.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 AM
can't stop looking at it

My Mood: Cheeky
Rosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
maybe that's what I'm thinking. I was thinking that every state must have somehting you have to submit for kindergarten due to compulsory school laws but it could be something that's a later age like you said, 7..... I know our school district says that no matter what age you start school, if you are starting for the first time ever, it must be kindergarten. I used to think kindergarten was not mandatory but I guess it is. I know my mom didn't do kindergarten and went right to first grade,but obviously that was a long time ago!
Joey didn't go to kindergarten, she went right to first grade. I also skipped kindergarten in Ohio.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
CoOp Hostess
I was powerful when I was asleep

Alexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
that makes sense. They are spending money on that program and all that. Here, we don't have public preschool so some people choose to do five day per week preschool instead of kindergarten if they are young. I know that my friend was considering delaying kindergarten b/c her child was likely goijng to qualify for speech services, but she couldn't b/c the state won't pay for the child's services if they are old enough to be under the town's "burden" financially.
Right - legally, services go like this:

0-2 years, 11 months old - Early INtervention

3-4 years, 11 months - Preschool services (here those are assessed and granted by the schools but paid for by the counties)

Once a child turns 5, under special ed law, they are school aged.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yup, I put every pound back on... and then some Starting over from scratch.....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Administrator

My Mood: Sleepy
Shaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea of it. I'm of the opinion that they start most kids to early. And I catch a lot of flack around this area for not putting mine in PreK... Sorry but I think it's just free daycare.
I'd like to see school go back to how it used to be.

All my girls have late birthday's (sept, oct, dec) so they've been closer to six than five when I started them in Kindy. They have to be 5 by Aug 15th to go here.

It would be nice to see them standerdize the ages and dates. I had no idea it differed so much state to state.
My daddy passed away 5/6/13. Almost a year now.
I am usually reading, knitting or plotting which to do next if i'm not herding my wild bunch.
Ravelry
Goodreads
Pinterest
I was catch up reading a blog the other day and this stuck with me. When your having a bad/mad mom kinda day.
"Just remember, you're all she/he has in the world…"
http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/20...at-target.html