ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Places to Chat > Hot Buttons

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think this sounds like a decent compromise. Kids who start K too early really do struggle. Anything that encourages more parents to keep their young 5 year olds home an extra year is good, whether they are in an "enriched" environment or not. A young 5 year old is going to mature socially and emotionally even if their parents aren't doing a ton of academics at home.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
the idea of a zombie cooter freaks me out a little.

My Mood: Cold
jsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond reputejsnichols1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another fence rider. Ultimately, I wish parents would take the maturity of their child into consideration instead of so many of them just shipping them away to kindergarten the second they turn 5.

DS just turned 7 and he started kindergarten in the fall at 6 1/2. He is a leader in his classroom and reads on a 3rd grade level. DD2 just turned 5 in March and although she reads as well as DS, she won't be entering Kindergarten this fall because she's not ready from a maturity standpoint. She's also pretty small for her age and I want to give her another year to grow/mature before I send her to school.

DD1 started Kindergarten at 5 and DD3 (about to turn 3) - I foresee her being ready to go at 5, but they were/are more mature for their ages than my middle 2. It all just depends on the individual child and how ready they are.

Pink Lemonade Mama Cloth!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

I also agree that the age should be standardized. in CT where I"m from, its like January! so a kid can start at 4.5!! waaay too young. Here in Maine, its Oct 17th. It seems like from what I've seen so far, the majority of kids who are retained are the ones who are really young- the ones who turned five in Sept or Oct. They are just too young to really handle it.
~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
I actually think this sounds like a decent compromise. Kids who start K too early really do struggle. Anything that encourages more parents to keep their young 5 year olds home an extra year is good, whether they are in an "enriched" environment or not. A young 5 year old is going to mature socially and emotionally even if their parents aren't doing a ton of academics at home.
I agree and so does the research! My friend's son is clearly academically gifted (heck he was talking at six months and full on sentences by 12 months) and she is a talented and gifted teacher. His bday is in NOvember and in CT, he could have done kindy last year. She kept him home a year and had him do another year of preschool. She said socially he was not ready. She is so glad she delayed b/c he's thriving this year when she felt he would have floundered last year.
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).

Last edited by Shopaholic; 05-01-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
CoOp Hostess
I was powerful when I was asleep

My Mood: Tired
Alexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandzoesmom has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should clarify my position. I work in a public school. Many of those kids who struggle end up on my caseload. I HATE what kindergarten has become. HATE IT. I think we ask way too much of our kids way too early.

I am also reluctant to toss one more standardized test at our kids. I think our elementary education system is broken - I don't think this bill in isolation is the answer. I can tell you that if it were the case in my area, many kids would stay home and get nothing for a year (and I do mean nothing - I could tell you some amazing stories) or you would have parents in the office screaming about how their kid was coming, test or no.

Sorry, it is a sore spot with me I guess.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yup, I put every pound back on... and then some Starting over from scratch.....
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM

aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

I think, to some extent, parents see kindergarten as "free" daycare. Especially the full-day programs, because they cut down on their childcare costs significantly. That's what several people I know have not-quite-said to me about their kids. At the very least, they see it as free pre-school. It is neither.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
coopcoordinator
I do the old lady way sometimes

My Mood: Sleepy
aufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond reputeaufrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think, to some extent, parents see kindergarten as "free" daycare. Especially the full-day programs, because they cut down on their childcare costs significantly. That's what several people I know have not-quite-said to me about their kids. At the very least, they see it as free pre-school. It is neither.

I know of one person who tested her son in early. He won't turn 5 until the end of Oct. I believe that she tested him in early partly to avoid the day care and pre-school costs.
~~~~~~~
let me add (I got distracted and didn't finish the last post) -

I don't know for certain that was the whole reason, but I do think it was part of it.

Last edited by aufrog; 05-01-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
My mind is in a bad, bad place.

dubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've had people say that outright to me about kindy.

Kids here start Junior Kindergarten at 4, and Kindergarten at 5. They had to put in a rule that kids can't go to school if they aren't potty trained yet (with special needs exceptions of course) because our cut-off is December 31st, which means kids can start in September as early as 3yrs 8 mths old.

If I sent my kids to school on time, DD would be 4 when she started (Jan 4th bday) and DS would be 3 (Dec 9th bday) They're 23 months apart, but would only be one grade apart.

Make shopping more fun!:
GreatCanadianRebates
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting topic for me. I had never given it much thought before but now my gears are whirling.

The cutoff here is Dec. 31st. My first two kiddoes are March/Jan. so they will both be 5.5 when they start kindy. For them it's great. Kiddo 3.0 will be end of September. He/she will be turning 5 right when school starts and it will be a little more iffy.

To wander slightly - some people are just clueless about schooling. Myself included. My son missed the preschool cutoff by 21 days this year. I was bummed at first over 21 days and thought he'd be mad/miss out, etc. I see now that he was not ready and I'm glad I didn't push the issue. I just honestly thought it was the right thing to do at first. Live and learn.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I had to find out WTH a cooter was
AKA: juststeph

My Mood: Psychedelic
VinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond reputeVinhThiMom has a reputation beyond repute

I will gladly admit that I'm excited for my kids to start Kindy to save on daycare costs. That's $600/month that we'll be saving! However, my kids were/are ready for it. They have March/July birthdays.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhreubel View Post
I've had people say that outright to me about kindy.

Kids here start Junior Kindergarten at 4, and Kindergarten at 5. They had to put in a rule that kids can't go to school if they aren't potty trained yet (with special needs exceptions of course) because our cut-off is December 31st, which means kids can start in September as early as 3yrs 8 mths old.

If I sent my kids to school on time, DD would be 4 when she started (Jan 4th bday) and DS would be 3 (Dec 9th bday) They're 23 months apart, but would only be one grade apart.
Wow.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I really liked giving head. But now, now I'd probably bite.

My Mood: Tired
jaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond reputejaz has a reputation beyond repute

Here you have to write a letter saying that you are choosing to not enroll your kid in kindergarten if your kid turns 5 by Sept. 30th. There is a compulsory attendence law for children who are 5 by Sept. 30th. My son turned 5 last month. I may have him repeat kindy if it's hard socially for him. He's on the spectrum and he's got social delays.

I think that it's a good idea in a lot of regards but I'd also like to see stricter laws regarding graduating kids from kindy to first grade. I.e. I'd like it to be possible for educators to determine if a kid is ready to start first grade or do kindy again instead of giving that decision to a parents who only hear "Your kid is slow and dumb so we're keeping him back and he'll never have friends his own age."
Mom of 4 spawnlings - Primero, 5 going on 4, Miss Deuce, 3, Trey, our 18month pumpkin-haired babe, and our butterfly baby whom we loved and lost. Married to one very nice husband: cute, thoughtful, smart AND geeky!

insert something interesting here...

If I owe you feedback, please let me know, I have the brains of a parsnip these days. Maybe a rutabaga on good days!

The Title Fairy was here. :loveshower: :jaz: :hugegrin: . . . . <--------- It's following me wherever I go. *sadness*
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow.
That's the same here. It's 2 years of preschool and then kindy. So in reality, if my son had been 21 days older, he would/could have started preschool this year at 2 years 8 months.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:15 PM

And here I am having Lexy repeat 1st (which we are *homeschooling*) because I think he's not mature enough for 2nd grade things like star testing! (He turned 5 on sept 7th of the year he started).

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree... many stay home Moms I know want half day kindy but the working moms seem to all want full day kindy. I get it.. I do... but IMO the "freeness" of it should not even be a consideration when wanting to move from half day to full. My friend's daughter did a half day kindy in CA and was far ahead academically when she moved here to Maine in April and was put in their full day kindy class. Just b/c they are there longer, doesn't mean they do more.
~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz View Post
Here you have to write a letter saying that you are choosing to not enroll your kid in kindergarten if your kid turns 5 by Sept. 30th. There is a compulsory attendence law for children who are 5 by Sept. 30th. My son turned 5 last month. I may have him repeat kindy if it's hard socially for him. He's on the spectrum and he's got social delays.

I think that it's a good idea in a lot of regards but I'd also like to see stricter laws regarding graduating kids from kindy to first grade. I.e. I'd like it to be possible for educators to determine if a kid is ready to start first grade or do kindy again instead of giving that decision to a parents who only hear "Your kid is slow and dumb so we're keeping him back and he'll never have friends his own age."

I think that's similiar in most areas- having to submit a letter so that you are within the law. Let me check to see what our district says !BRB!
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).

Last edited by Shopaholic; 05-01-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
My mind is in a bad, bad place.

dubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I agree... many stay home Moms I know want half day kindy but the working moms seem to all want full day kindy. I get it.. I do... but IMO the "freeness" of it should not even be a consideration when wanting to move from half day to full. My friend's daughter did a half day kindy in CA and was far ahead academically when she moved here to Maine in April and was put in their full day kindy class. Just b/c they are there longer, doesn't mean they do more.
~~~~~~~

I think that's similiar in most areas- having to submit a letter so that you are within the law. Let me check to see what our district says !BRB!
Half day kindy is being phased out here, it's full day school for 3-4yr/os. It sounds like way too much to me.

Make shopping more fun!:
GreatCanadianRebates