ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Homesteading

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 AM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

We have a barn, so they have a big pen in the barn and then a barnyard that was already fenced when we moved in. The front of the pen is two 14' gates so we can open up the whole yard and get the tractor in there. It used to be some really old wooden board fencing with wire stalked to it.
The back fence line is box wore that is barely hanging on. I actually don't know how they haven't escaped lol. I am going to tear it down and extend the pen out this year.
In the warmer weather, I use the portable, mesh electric fence from Premier1. It is easy to set up and take down and the goats don't mess with it, assuming the charger is plugged in.
I move them all around a 7 acre area with that.
We are going to try and work with NRCS and the USDA to get some grants for fencing this year. The fencing we put up will be multi-species, so I really want to do some nice wood fencing with wire along the bottom. I don't know what they will do for us though.
You really need secure fencing, no matter what you do. If you do electric fence, you probably want 8 strands starting about 3" from the ground and super tight.
~~~~~~~
Some people use chain link too, like dog kennels.
~~~~~~~
Posted too soon! Our buck's pen is chain link. It gives them a solid barrier with height, so they don't try to mess with it. The pen is also well away from the females.

Last edited by CaerRuthryis; 03-31-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 AM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about grants for fencing?!

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-31-2016, 11:37 AM

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know enough myself yet, but contact your state Ag Dept and start asking.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even know that such a thing existed!!!

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 PM

The last goat has kidded, finally! She also had twins! One doe, Violet and one buck, Poseidon. I am done with babies until June

Old 04-04-2016, 06:48 PM

Poseidon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.0 KB, 3 views)

Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 PM

Violet and mom, Persephone.
Babies and mom are doing well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.0 KB, 9 views)

Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 PM
my nipples grew

My Mood: Thinking
raindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond repute

So adorable!
Fiancée to Jason