ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Entertainment Zone > The Library

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 05:46 PM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shelter *spoilers* Help me prepare for a book club!

A book club local to me is reading my book (Shelter) and I kid you not, people say "I read your book" and my mind shuts down and the most I manage is "oh, great"

So, pretty please, help me practice talking/typing about it.

What's a book club like? What kind of questions will I get? What's going to happen?

Tell me what you liked and didn't like about the book. Don't worry about offending me, whatever you didn't like, I promise you my husband already told me the same thing

I'm concerned I'm going to walk into the meeting and stare stupidly at them with nothing to say.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) Baby (12-16-17)
Baby (5-1-18)

WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Knitting bags, and Affordable Weighted Blankets.
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM
I hit the crystal factory

My Mood: Busy
kwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond repute

It might not hurt to look at the book group guides from another book to get an idea of what to expect/what things they might want to discuss. http://www.readinggroupguides.com/guides
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 PM
CoOp Hostess

yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

I read a thing about what it's like to have an author come in, so I guess I have a general idea.

Whatever. If I go in and look stupid, oh well. This is (probably) the only one I'll do. I already refused to do book tours or signings set up by the publisher.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) Baby (12-16-17)
Baby (5-1-18)

WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM

kwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond repute

Beyond the book itself, I'd be ready to talk about what made you write the book, what inspired you, what you would have done if you found yourself in their situation, etc.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 PM
CoOp Hostess

Okay, that's good. My game plan is not to survive the end dope a/c so I will let the zombies eat me

I was inspired by... I don't really know. Prepping fascinates me, so that was part of it, plus I needed to write a book. I also like developing characters and showing how they grow and change.

Hmmm, I would say I wasn't so much inspired as I was determined to write a novel.

So something like that?
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 PM

Sounds good!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
CoOp Hostess

Well, doesn't help my nerves any, but at least I did something to prepare
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Peeping, not posting.

My Mood: Lurking
cmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond repute

Details are good. Honestly, the one part that put me off was the monologue/rant about the government. Agree or disagree, it was very soapbox and not really plot-necessary. As a book club veteran, I can guarantee that will come up so be prepared to field the negative on that without being defensive . We've done a live chat with an author in ours, although I was actually unable to attend (I miss maybe one a year and that was the one!). We're always interested in the author bio as well as other books written or things that inspired the story.

Being able to talk to the author and get actual answers is so much fun!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:48 PM
CoOp Hostess

That's pretty much a consistent criticism I've gotten. I think, in hindsight, while I've heard a lot of teenagers rant that way, I was trying to turn him into too much of an egg lol I tried too hard, but live and learn. It actually *is* relevant the later books, but yeah, not so much for the first book (and didn't need to be in that much detail so soon). My husband flat out hated that part and told me to get off my high horse.

I did learn from that, though, and didn't do anything like that in book 2

The real life inspirations were people, a bit (those who know me well see my family woven all through the books), and the preppers TV shows... hmm. I need to think more on that.
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 03-20-2015, 02:56 PM
CoOp Hostess

egg head*
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Peeping, not posting.

My Mood: Lurking
cmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond reputecmarsh31 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - didn't stop me, I've already pre-ordered #2!! (Jillybean is a little disturbing to read as all I can do is picture my daughter, but I got through that too!)
~~~~~~~
Can she knit longies for Jilly? Then it's almost real-life since I knit them for Jilly and your James too!

Last edited by cmarsh31; 03-20-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM
CoOp Hostess

She doesn't learn to knit on the page, no, but probably she will learn in her mid-twenties.
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 04-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Quick someone come lactate on my feet!!

My Mood: Fiendish
MamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had your book club meeting yet?

Old 04-11-2015, 01:55 PM
CoOp Hostess

Nope, not 'til June so I have months yet to go to get worried about it.

Let me know when you're done because I really want to ask people about those last two chapters of Prison...
Baby (5-1-18)

Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Quick someone come lactate on my feet!!

My Mood: Fiendish
MamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond reputeMamaElle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm done!
I don't know ow if I should say more and post spoilers ha!