ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Feeding

Notices

Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM
I am not witty IRL, let alone is cyberspace, oh woe is me
Even my title has a typo, I just win the prize for most unwitty person EVER!

EleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opinions?

I need some opinions or suggestions. Here is my situation. I work full time and I have been pumping while I am at working since I went back. I pump 3 times an eight hour day. It has been two months that I have not been able to keep up. Luckily I froze a bunch before going back to work and at the rate I am using the frozen stuff I should be able to make it for about 3 or 4 more months if I continue to pump and supplement with the frozen breastmilk.

That brings little DD to about 12-13 months old. What should I do then? With older DD I weaned her onto to coconut milk while I was at work and continued to breastfeed her while I was homes til about 19 months. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. I would really like to avoid cow's milk. Should I consider formula while I am at work? Raw milk? Coconut milk or almond milk?

I am hoping for some advice from like minded mamas since I can't talk to anyone about it IRL because they can't understand why I just won't give her whole milk now
Old 02-13-2015, 12:38 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason that a toddler NEEDS some form of milk? I ask sincerely because, while DD nursed until she was over 2, it was only a couple times a day and she never took to a different form of milk. To this day she does not like any kind of milk (cow's, coconut, almond, rice, etc) I just made sure she had a healthy diet and plenty of water. She loves her dairy (especially in the form of yogurt and cottage cheese), so I was never worried about anything being missing from her diet.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 02-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Happy
mymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Is there a reason that a toddler NEEDS some form of milk? I ask sincerely because, while DD nursed until she was over 2, it was only a couple times a day and she never took to a different form of milk. To this day she does not like any kind of milk (cow's, coconut, almond, rice, etc) I just made sure she had a healthy diet and plenty of water. She loves her dairy (especially in the form of yogurt and cottage cheese), so I was never worried about anything being missing from her diet.
I always wondered that. My kids aren't big milk drinkers, but get plenty of calcium in other foods.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

I put DS straight on cow's milk when he turned a year, but that's because I thought it was what I was supposed to do. Neither of my children drink milk now (it's only used for cereal or cooking purposes here) so I've never tried to force it once DS signaled he no longer wanted it.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 02-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Where's that title fairy?

Seun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on how much in terms of solids your little one is eating as a toddler. Tiny dd is 13 months old and is in no position to give up nursing because she doesn't eat enough, so I would have to do some sort of formula in your position.

Ds probably would have been ok because he had a big solids appetite and I would have made sure he got his calcium elsewhere.

Seun Designs Inc. is closed. Clearance Diaper Covers!
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

There's no nutritional reason for milk or even a milk substitute, really. If she's eating well by then and still nursing when you're home, she'll be getting everything she needs.

So personally, I would skip it altogether or if she really wants something while you're gone, I think coconut or almond milk would be just fine. FWIW, Bram never cared for any sort of milk after he was off bottles. I can't even remember the last time he actually drank milk of any kind.
~~~~~~~
Actually, let me rephrase that. lol There's no nutritional need.

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 02-13-2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 PM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

vitamin D supplements would be all I'd suggest. You don't need milk. Cows milk actually leaches calcium from human bones. Go figure.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) Baby (12-16-17)
Baby (5-1-18)

WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Knitting bags, and Affordable Weighted Blankets.
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:57 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Skip the milk/milk substitute and just serve water for most healthy toddlers. None of mine have ever drank much (if any) milk and they are doing just fine. Cow's milk is for calves. ��
Old 02-14-2015, 01:10 AM

EleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond reputeEleanorsMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun View Post
I think it depends on how much in terms of solids your little one is eating as a toddler. Tiny dd is 13 months old and is in no position to give up nursing because she doesn't eat enough, so I would have to do some sort of formula in your position.

Ds probably would have been ok because he had a big solids appetite and I would have made sure he got his calcium elsewhere.
She is doing pretty well with solids right now. She is eating a lot of different purées and she is doing well with some table food because she does have some teeth. She has a lot of interest in food, much more than older DD did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
There's no nutritional reason for milk or even a milk substitute, really. If she's eating well by then and still nursing when you're home, she'll be getting everything she needs.

So personally, I would skip it altogether or if she really wants something while you're gone, I think coconut or almond milk would be just fine. FWIW, Bram never cared for any sort of milk after he was off bottles. I can't even remember the last time he actually drank milk of any kind.
~~~~~~~
Actually, let me rephrase that. lol There's no nutritional need.
Right now on days I work she still nurses about 3-4 times a day/night, I don't see that changing unless I change it.
I am okay with not giving a milk substitute, it just feels like I "should." Older DD likes almond milk so we have that around, I guess I could offer that and if she not interested I won't fret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl View Post
vitamin D supplements would be all I'd suggest. You don't need milk. Cows milk actually leaches calcium from human bones. Go figure.
We do give a vitamin D supplement, right now we use the kind that is just a drop and I put it on my nipple before a feeding, it 400iu I think. Do you think we should switch or increase dosage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
Skip the milk/milk substitute and just serve water for most healthy toddlers. None of mine have ever drank much (if any) milk and they are doing just fine. Cow's milk is for calves. ��
I agree about the cow's milk is for baby cows thing. My MIL looks at me like I am crazy when I say that.

So what if I can't make it as long as I hope? Pumping is really a struggle for me and it almost seems worse this time around! Would your answers change if she was only 11ish months when my freezer stash runs out?
Old 02-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

Are you taking any supplements to help your supply? More Milk Plus is supposed to be really great, particularly for increasing your pumping output.

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 AM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

i think it's up to 2000iui's a day now for the suggested dose. That's what my ped said. We did the drop on the finger, stick it in the kid's mouth
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) Baby (12-16-17)
Baby (5-1-18)

WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Knitting bags, and Affordable Weighted Blankets.
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:39 AM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

Kiddoes can get what they need when you are home to nurse. I gave up pumping a loooong time ago. My dude has just nursed when I got home and nights/weekends.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:40 AM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

If she's eating enough solids to not get *hungry* while you are gone at 11 months old, I would just make sure that you are available for as much nursing as she wants when you are at home. She may add another nursing session during the night if she needs to calories, so it wouldn't be the time to be pushing night weaning or anything. If she needs a bottle to go down for nap while you are gone, I'd use whatever you are able to pump for that, and that's it.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 02-14-2015, 11:29 PM
the laundry basket is CRACKING me up!

My Mood: Artistic
abmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond reputeabmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
If she's eating enough solids to not get *hungry* while you are gone at 11 months old, I would just make sure that you are available for as much nursing as she wants when you are at home. She may add another nursing session during the night if she needs to calories, so it wouldn't be the time to be pushing night weaning or anything. If she needs a bottle to go down for nap while you are gone, I'd use whatever you are able to pump for that, and that's it.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Are you taking any supplements to help your supply? More Milk Plus is supposed to be really great, particularly for increasing your pumping output.
I currently take fenugreek and have since I went back to work, but it is not working. My supply is tanking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowitchgrl View Post
i think it's up to 2000iui's a day now for the suggested dose. That's what my ped said. We did the drop on the finger, stick it in the kid's mouth
Do you have a brand you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
I let her nurse whenever she wants when I am home. I couldn't even dare to hope that she would sleep through the night any time soon. I do think that she is nursing less and less. She won't nurse for very long at time and my supply is just dropping and dropping. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle with my pump every day.