ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 PM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you do?

Luke is 7 and he has a serious blood sugar problem. It can (and often does) cause erratic behavior and mood swings. Despite diet, exercise and being underweight, he's heading towards type 2 diabetes.

He has a difficult time sitting for school work, but as he's homeschooled and is still progressing, I'm not sure I care.

More people than I can remember have said they'd medicate for ADD/ADHD like they would for diabetes.

My ped thinks Luke's issues are more blood sugar related and not ADD/ADHD

I won't medicate for ADD, at least not right now. #1 reason is we're struggling with bloody fingers not to slide off the cliff into diabetes for Luke and I know that the meds given would effect him and possibly make it worse. #2 It might not, but right now Luke mainly drives me crazy and not a room full of other students. He's not upset with how he is, so it isn't like it's really bothering him.

I'm concerned that getting a dx one way or the other might not be helpful right now. I don't want to label him, especially when his issues really might be his blood sugar spiking and dropping constantly. His blood sugar drops to 8 hour fasting levels for normal people after 1.5 hours. It's bad.

I don't know what to do. There is a shrink local that works with a lot of the homeschoolers and I could take him to her, but I'm not sure it would do any good. Do I need a label when that won't change anything and it may not even be right?

I'm over the whole thing, with a healthy dose of meh. Gimme thoughts, ask questions, tell me what you'd do with this situation.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Bookworm
kelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond reputekelliekd has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not the best question, but since his body may not start processing better, and as he gets older there is the possibility that his eating habits could become erratic, could he be diagnosed as diabetic now, and are there any meds that would better regulate the blood sugar for his body? Since you think it is physical rather than mental, I would start there for my own little one. I know that you would rather treat with diet and exercise, but if you are leaning towards diagnostic help and meds, I would start with what you know is a problem, rather than piling on problems.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:12 PM
CoOp Hostess

yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to start meds, but he's not bad enough to treat as diabetic yet. This process, in adults, tends to take years or decades to get bad enough. We could let him eat whatever he wants and speed the process up, but then we have to deal with behavior that will make me suicidal for years until his pancreas totally shuts down Added to that, this doesn't happen in children who eat well. It's virtually unheard of so no one has a clue what to do with him. We thought he was going for type 1, but then we improved his diet and gave him supplements and he got better for awhile, but it's back to going downhill. Then we did the blood test for type 1 indicators

Honestly, the treatment most times for type 2 is diet and exercise
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just starting my career in Diabetes Education and have a TON to learn so I am no expert.... Yet. But I will say that there is a lot of research into the benefit of metformin before a Type 2 Diagnosis.

I have no idea what the healthcare system is like where you are but here it's free to be referred to a CDE like myself and my dietitian complement. I don't doubt that you have educated yourself a lot however - without going off on specifics here - there is always more to learn and do besides just diet and exercise and the complications of blood sugar level roller coaster like they are now have already started and cannot be reversed.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 PM
CoOp Hostess

Sadly, not free. I am always willing to learn more. Everyone I've talked to has said wait it out. Our dietitian (who is an RN and works with homeopathy) has been helping tremendously in keeping him stable. She helped my husband and oldest, who have the same issue, get back to a place where they can maintain rather than get worse. Luke's just a special case. His ped is on board with the supplements, btw.

The endocrin was useless, but I hated him anyway to the point that I haven't tried to find a new one.

I did a quick search and saw metformin use. I actually hadn't even thought of it since I thought it would end up being insulin. I'm just concerned since he's only 47lbs and he's hovering at the 5th% for weight. He can't afford to lose weight. That's another strike against ADD meds in my book because I know some kids lose weight on them.

His impulse control is non-existent. He threw a stick at a 4 month old today. Not to be mean, just because he's got no filter to say "maybe I shouldn't do that"
Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Since this is a WWYD

I would keep knocking on doors until you find a good endocrinologist. As I said, I'm no expert but I'm surrounded by them. I also live in an area with a high Indigenous population where there is a Type 3 Diabetes, if you will. It has a huge genetic factor and it causes very young people to have Diabetes that mimics Type 1 and 2.

FTR - my clients all complain about the weight they gain when they start metformin.
~~~~~~~
*work in an area with this population

Last edited by Longfarmer; 04-26-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
CoOp Hostess

Okay, I'll try again for another endocrin
Old 04-26-2015, 09:56 PM
kind of stinky

BeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond reputeBeccaCCKK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any advice or help to offer. But wanted to extend a hug and some encouragement .
Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 AM

bjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond repute

I've read your OP a couple of times and feel like I am missing something, why would you get him tested for ADHD? You said a lot of his issues are his sugars and his ped agrees with you, is someone pushing you to get him diagnosed?

For me, I would find an endo I liked or that could at least help my child. I'm not fond of the endo for 3 of my kids, but she is good at what she does and listens to me and seems to care about my kids so that is all that matters. My other kiddos endo I really like and I have thought about switching all the kids to her, but I like getting 2 different opinions on the same thing lol.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:20 AM
CoOp Hostess

He's got a lot of behaviors that could be ADD/ADHD like the inability to focus, take things in, sometimes it's like he simply isn't able to hear us, a total lack of impulse control, no off switch, etc but I have no idea if it's all his personality, the blood sugar (we're seeing a pattern that he goes nuts when he drops below 95, which he does quickly) or what.

What I know is he's driving me CRAZY
Old 04-27-2015, 02:28 AM

bjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't hurt to do an eval, it may be something totally different then ADHD that you didn't even think about and that would be good to know. I would ask if she is familiar with diabetic patients and their lows and if not, maybe she knows someone that is. Never hurts to ask!

And there are non-stimulant medication options that won't have the same effects stimulants do. That might be an option for him if needed.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 AM
CoOp Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgonzo View Post
It doesn't hurt to do an eval, it may be something totally different then ADHD that you didn't even think about and that would be good to know. I would ask if she is familiar with diabetic patients and their lows and if not, maybe she knows someone that is. Never hurts to ask!

And there are non-stimulant medication options that won't have the same effects stimulants do. That might be an option for him if needed.
I think my biggest reservation is that he doesn't need them for daily life to get by. He does okay with school work, and yeah, he drives us nuts, but he also doesn't care that he's driving us nuts. He's happy with himself. I don't want to medicate him just to make my life easier when he wouldn't care to change, ya know?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 AM
can't stop looking at it

My Mood: Cheeky
Rosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond reputeRosegin has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have issues with high blood sugars, or just low blood sugars?

It is my understanding that 1-2 high blood sugar readings warrant a diagnosis of diabetes.
Joey-15
Ian-13
Hayden-11
Charlie-7

I'm an intactivist.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM
CoOp Hostess

he's had highs in the past, but right now I'm only catching the lows
Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
CoOp Hostess

mostly bc I'm being stupid and not checking right after he eats. I will.

I did email the ped to get names of some endocrins. Here we go...