ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 03-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Neurodiversity rant.

First let me say... I am all about the neurodiversity movement and loving, respecting, and accepting those who are different. Obviously. I'd be a ~POOP~ parent if I didn't.

But this whole idea that cures, treatments, etc. only serve those around the individual and not the individual themselves is bull~POOP~. "Functioning labels mean nothing and only serve the neurotypical people who want to eliminate [insert condition]". Right, because there's no difference between an adult who can hold a job and maintain relationships and an adult who can't wipe their own behind??? But let's only consider the opinion of the former and just assume the latter would say the same thing.

So basically, the idea is that if you try to improve your kid's quality of life in any shape, way, or form, you're a "curebie" parent and you should be ~FARK~ing ashamed of yourself.

And this is coming from someone who has chosen NOT to take advantage of certain things that COULD make my kid more "normal". Because there are pros and cons to just about everything. But no parent should be shamed for trying to improve their child's quality of life. WTF is wrong with people?

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM
Got Snark?

My Mood: Bookworm
tea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond repute

Preach

Crunchy Wiccan -

Mom to Liam , 14, Spirit Babies: Dorian (7/31/15), Ninja (6/ 25/16) and Fur-mom to Loki the Bichon and Rocky the Hedgehog. Cautiously expecting Hayden Micah on 4/2/17

Living in North Dakota, where it is colder than Siberia. It really is. Look it up.

What you see is what you get. Progress, not perfection, is what counts
Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 PM
part werewolf

My Mood: Bookworm
sourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond repute

....so according to them my friend taking her severe CP child to a specialized clinic in PA to get custom therapy so that maybe he will be able to at least say/point to yes or no to communicate a little bit is just my friend not embracing her child for who he is?
~~~~~~~
arseholes

Dear Pot,
That's offensive.

Sincerely, Kettle

Last edited by sourpatch_babe; 03-25-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 PM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:11 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I see that opinion tossed around a lot regarding autism. Generally by very high functioning adults who aren't raising children. I would like my son to have the skills to not be immediately pegged as not-neurotypical should he choose to or need to use them as an adult. I would like him to have options. I would also like him to be able to have his anxiety and outbursts under enough control that he doesn't end up in real trouble once he's big enough to actually do real damage. That doesn't mean I want to change him into something he is not.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-26-2016, 06:53 AM
the bigger the better, the tighter the sweater!

My Mood: Dead
NadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. Yes. This drives me crazy. Of course I love my autie and embrace him for who he is, issues and all. However, I also enjoy not being beaten to a pulp during a meltdown. I love the meds that leveled him out so he could actually do and enjoy the things he likes again. I don't want to change him, just get him out of his own way enough to be a productive adult. He's awesome. I want others to see him for the awesome he has. Not see him as a the monster he sees himself as when he's accidentally hurt someone or broken things. They've obviously never had their child punch themselves in the head while sobbing and calling himself a monster. It's heartbreaking. We are about to start ABA as well to help him with some negative behaviors. I don't expect perfection but it's been very helpful in the past for problematic issues. I LOVE the fact that when people meet him, they don't automatically know he has any kind of label until they sit and talk for a minute. We've invested a lot of work into this with nothing but positive outcomes.

People hear "behavior modification" and think bad things automatically. Behavior modification has been amazing in our lives and has brought my son so far! Nearly all positives. We used mini M&Ms and gummy bears a lot. I only recently had to bring back a few negative consequences for him.

I just don't get people. Honestly, they can ~FARK~ off. I make the decisions I feel are best for the health and safety of my family.

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies.
The first is that if you disagree with someoneís lifestyle,
you must fear or hate them.
The second is that to love someone
means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense.
You donít have to compromise convictions
to be compassionate."

~Pastor Rick Warren~

Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 PM

urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

EXACTLY. The issue of hitting/meltdowns are the perfect example. The world isn't going to reshape itself and be accepting of harmful behaviors just because a person has a neurological difference. Are we really supposed to ignore the fact that certain things are just socially unacceptable and get mad when society doesn't accept it because "neurodiversity"?

And yes, it seems I only hear this view from high functioning adults (who clearly are functioning enough to be on Facebook and often times have a partner and children) or those who are parenting high functioning kids/teens. But "functioning" means nothing to them because the world should function for them, always, not the other way around.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

And that's why I LOVE Bram's teacher so much. She has such high expectations for all of her students. Of course they don't always meet those expectations. Some of them have never spoken a single word or ever made eye contact with another human being for more than a split second. But she treats them age appropriately regardless and reminds them all day long that they are in [insert grade] and that X behavior isn't appropriate... that they are capable of more. That's not rejecting or trying to fix someone, that's RESPECT.

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 AM
SuperMom!

My Mood: Breezy
ciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly different issue but somewhat related

There are actually older adults within the SB community who scoff at parents getting their kids with SB extra therapies, etc. to help them socially, mentally, physically. Essentially- yay for advances in the medical field when it comes to urology, neurology, etc. Boo, on advancements in the mental health/therapy fields.
Kasey 9Kora 6
Renly 4 Rowan 1
Old 03-28-2016, 06:02 AM
the bigger the better, the tighter the sweater!

My Mood: Dead
NadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond repute

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies.
The first is that if you disagree with someoneís lifestyle,
you must fear or hate them.
The second is that to love someone
means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense.
You donít have to compromise convictions
to be compassionate."

~Pastor Rick Warren~

Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciles View Post
Slightly different issue but somewhat related

There are actually older adults within the SB community who scoff at parents getting their kids with SB extra therapies, etc. to help them socially, mentally, physically. Essentially- yay for advances in the medical field when it comes to urology, neurology, etc. Boo, on advancements in the mental health/therapy fields.
:headbang:

Yep, basically the same thing, different condition.

I feel the same way about cochlear implants too. I don't think it's something I'd choose for my child before they could have an opinion. But parents shouldn't be shamed for choosing it and deaf adults SURELY shouldn't be. Whether a person wants to hear or not is their own damn business.
~~~~~~~

Smiley fail!

Carly
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy

Last edited by urchin_grey; 03-28-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 PM
SuperMom!

My Mood: Breezy
ciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond reputeciles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah- I typically can ignore the ridiculous things spouted online- but I somewhat got into a spat with these "ladies"- who were saying that if I would just treat her like a completely neurotypical kid- she'd eventually figure things out.

Essentially- they were all "all these parents putting labels on their kids. Shame on you". I was all "don't care what labels we get if it means she's getting help and thriving."

I was just shocked at the mindset that its better to make a child suffer through anxiety, depression, other neuro things- than to get them the help and tools to succeed.
Kasey 9Kora 6
Renly 4 Rowan 1
Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 PM
CoOp Hostess
I love a good spanking every now and then.

sciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond reputesciencefair has a reputation beyond repute

The loudest proponents of this are aprents or the individuals with high functioning autism. Like, they have the diagnosis but in most settings people would see them as quirky. I find it really frustrating when they try to tell me that ABA therapy is destroying my child, and blah, blah, blah. No, ABA helps us learn that poop goes in toilet. ABA therapy helps us learn behaviors that running into the street is not safe. I am glad YOU (or your high functioning child) have the ability to understand these things, but for the rest of the spectrum we can't just accept stimming as the only downside to autism.