ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 07:05 PM
CDN's Official Fairy Princess
HARD all.the.time
AKA: army mommy of 5

My Mood: Bashful
Annonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autism & Equestrian Therapy, and ADHD meds or no?

Hello.

Our 4 year old was recently diagnosed with Autism (even though we've suspected for years), and ADHD to which we aren't convinced. He's a great learner, he just doesn't like to be still. Two questions.

We actually have three boys with Autism.

Does anyone here have a child with Autism that has used, and benefitted from equestrian therapy? Benefitted how?

ADHD. This is a hard one for me. Our oldest, now 13, was diagnosed at 4 with ADHD, and never had attention problems either, but was a very active child. We let him grow out of it.
Now our youngest, 4 years old, has been diagnosed with ADHD. We have a very good play therapist, except she keeps trying to talk me into getting him on ADHD meds, and says she doesn't see his Autism symptoms(maybe because she's too focused on ADHD?). What does REAL ADHD look like? Have you had success with meds? Which? Natural options?

Thanks much.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 PM
molesting the number 8.
AKA: Banyan Tree Diapers

My Mood: Tired
Dalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond reputeDalila has a reputation beyond repute

There two type of ADHD. There the mixed type (the true ADHD, because you have the inattentiveness with the hyperactive, and then the ADD type, which is what my son has. He has a hard time focusing and staying on task, but he's not hyper, in fact, he behaves extremely well in school.
I personally did not have success with meds. I had him on the smallest and next to smallest dose of Vyvanse and then Adderall XR. Both turned him into an even more sullen and melancholic kid than he was already. He was like a zombie coming out of school. Neither did much for his performance in school. He only gained 1 lb from Jan 2014 to June of this year. So the goods did not outweigh the bads for me.
But every child is different and perhaps yours might do well. How bad is he doing in school? If he's doing fine and it's just one person wanting him to be on medication I would probably find a different therapist.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 PM
HARD all.the.time

Annonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond reputeAnnonymous has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not even sure what her purpose is. I feel like my 13 year old could use her more then the other two. He's got severe anxiety, and we are actually thinking it's time for meds. We've exhausted everything else.
With the 4 year old occupational has already had tremendous progress, in just two months.
I just feel like every time I take him in she's trying to talk me into medicating him, and I'm arguing with her, unintentionally, that he doesn't need it. This just may not be the right thing for him.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Amazed
bellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond repute

Therapeutic riding has been amazing for Bella. Physical benefits, as well as behavioral/emotional. I highly reccomend it
Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Never even knew you could eat it!

My Mood: Devilish
chickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond repute

Our 8 year old has matured so much with riding and it's only been a few months. She's like a different kid, seriously. Huge improvement in self confidence. No ADHD diagnosis with her, but I highly recommend giving riding a try if you think they'd enjoy it.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Deep I like it deep.

My Mood: Cheerful
MeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that with ADHD there is at least one or a combination of these attributes; hyperactivity, inattentive, lack of impulse control.

My DS has ADHD with lack of impulse control and hyperactivity. The hyperactivity is not an issue for us as we are an active family. He is medicated. Medication was a huge concern for us as DH was medicated as a child and in order to get the desired effect then he was over medicated.

DS would cry that he couldn't control his own body, he was devistated with his actions. His confidence plummeted. This was from the age 5-6. He is still true to his character, if anything more so because now he is not carrying around this guilt.

Now since we decided to try medication, after doing the diet and then natupathic routes with no success. He is confident and makes friends instead of scaring them away now. He has an intense personality but that is who he is. I wouldn't and couldn't change that.
We saw improvements in his hand writing too.
For us it was the right choice, we however do reassess quarterly. He has a huge voice in the matter too. He still needs to have a lot of large motor skills output and is a different calme child in the forest. But hey those are true for me too an I'm the only one in the house without ADD or ADHD.
~~~~~~~
I meant to add that inattentive is not part of ADHD for my son. You can have it without the inattentive. Thats what stopped me from getting a diagnosis sooner. He could stay on task just fine and paid attention to stories, he just couldn't be still and would rather climb the ceiling.

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~Les Brown

Autocorrect likes to change names on me, I'm sorry if I call you something else.

Last edited by MeganPaige; 08-23-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 PM
HARD all.the.time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganPaige View Post
I was told that with ADHD there is at least one or a combination of these attributes; hyperactivity, inattentive, lack of impulse control.

My DS has ADHD with lack of impulse control and hyperactivity. The hyperactivity is not an issue for us as we are an active family. He is medicated. Medication was a huge concern for us as DH was medicated as a child and in order to get the desired effect then he was over medicated.

DS would cry that he couldn't control his own body, he was devistated with his actions. His confidence plummeted. This was from the age 5-6. He is still true to his character, if anything more so because now he is not carrying around this guilt.

Now since we decided to try medication, after doing the diet and then natupathic routes with no success. He is confident and makes friends instead of scaring them away now. He has an intense personality but that is who he is. I wouldn't and couldn't change that.
We saw improvements in his hand writing too.
For us it was the right choice, we however do reassess quarterly. He has a huge voice in the matter too. He still needs to have a lot of large motor skills output and is a different calme child in the forest. But hey those are true for me too an I'm the only one in the house without ADD or ADHD.
~~~~~~~
I meant to add that inattentive is not part of ADHD for my son. You can have it without the inattentive. Thats what stopped me from getting a diagnosis sooner. He could stay on task just fine and paid attention to stories, he just couldn't be still and would rather climb the ceiling.
That sounds a lot like my youngest, except he doesn't complain about being able to control himself. Thanks for your story. This is so hard. I hate the idea of medicating one of my kids long term.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 AM
Deep I like it deep.

My Mood: Cheerful
MeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond reputeMeganPaige has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have peace in your decision and the knowledge to know that you can change your mind too, either way.

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~Les Brown

Autocorrect likes to change names on me, I'm sorry if I call you something else.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 AM
CALM YOUR TITS!

My Mood: Happy
Katiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't feel guilty about giving a t1 diabetic medication full time. Don't feel bad about giving your child meds for mental health when they need it.