ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Saving the Planet

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Inactive Member

shealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info. I still haven't ordered the birdseye cloth to make mine. I am thinking I should just buy some. I think towels from the store would be cheap but the fabric is too thick and I don't like the way they clean, leaving lint behind and streaks.

I wanted to try making my own because I thought it would be fun learning to use a sewing machine. I am thinking making cloth paper towels would be pretty simple for a first time user. What do you think? Also the birdseye cloth paper towels, are yours double sided? Or do I just use one and sew the outside to prevent it from shredding. Sorry don't know sewing terms haha.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
kind of bass ass

My Mood: Sleepy
jennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine from the above link when this thread was first started. I really like them, they are just one layer of birds eye serged around the edge. They would be super easy to make, but I know they are one of the projects that would just keep getting pushed back, so I just bought mine.
I thought DH would be a little resistant, but he loves them and jumped on board the unpaper towel wagon right away. We still keep a roll of paper towels under the sink for really yucky jobs, like chicken juice, but one roll of paper towel has lasted well over a month and is still 1/2 full. We used to go through at least a roll a week.:ack:

I was all the kitchen stuff together, unpaper towels, tea towels, wipes (the kids use wipes as napkins),rags, just because it is easier for me to sort and fold that way. I have had one or two of the velour backed wipes get bleached out spots on them from getting up against things that had cleaning products on them, so in that respect you might want to separate.
~~~~~~~
Oh and I also got the Towel House from the above link. I Love Love Love that thing, highly recommend if it is in your budget.

SAHM To
01.31.2007 & 11.3.2008
Recycle Yourself - Be An Organ Donor!

Have you heard?
Suzanne (GreenMimama) is my new sister.
I've always wanted a sister!

Last edited by jennifrog; 11-05-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
the bigger the better, the tighter the sweater!

My Mood: Dead
NadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond reputeNadiaRose has a reputation beyond repute

i too, am getting ready to jump into the world of unpaper towels. lol. i just ordered some black birdseye from fabric.com for the kitchen towels so i don't have to worry about staining and i got some flannel to make some napkins out of. i'm not worried about pilling or fading with the napkins because my kids are young and will probably put them through the wringer. lol. maybe when they are grown a bit i'll work on making some nice cotton napkins out of a really pretty fabric of some sort. lol. i figure this will also give me a chance to break out my machine. i've used it all of three times maybe since hubs got it for me several years ago.

"Our culture has accepted two huge lies.
The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle,
you must fear or hate them.
The second is that to love someone
means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense.
You don’t have to compromise convictions
to be compassionate."

~Pastor Rick Warren~

Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 PM
kind of bass ass

jennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond reputejennifrog has a reputation beyond repute

I considered getting a colored birds eye, but then I figured that I would prefer white, that way if they look ucky I can retire them or bleach them, rather than have uckieness hiding. I know, I'm a kook

SAHM To
01.31.2007 & 11.3.2008

Have you heard?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Inactive Member

shealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond reputeshealo0788 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by velour backed wipes? Is this just a fancier table napkin?
I think I would like white for kitchen/spills and colored for cleaning. I guess I could buy the colored fabric and make my own. Or would dying it yourself me hard. I saw it in a previous post. Or I could wait till my whites get grungy and dye them. Doesn't seem so hard. But why dye would be the best? Keeping in mind something eco-friendly without crazy chemicals. Thanks for the link. I have been to several material stores and none have Birds Eye. They are like huh what is that?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Cold
dmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a dumb question, but I know nothing about fabrics. Is birdseye the same fabric as the flour sacks?

For those that don't know what a flour sack towel is, ask your mother or grandmother. LOL No, seriously. We use them all the time in the kitchen. The only time we use paper is if it's a really sticky mess or it's something the dog decided to show us that she ate. I hate chunks in my laundry.

Here's a link to what a flour sack towel looks like
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...kitchen-towel/
Old 02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
kind of bass ass

Looks slightly different to me. The four sack pillow cases that I have that were handed down from my granny are not the same as birds eye. Those WS towels look a little more textured, but the birds eye unpaper towels I have are a more diamond shaped texture pattern. Could just be a different weave though.

SAHM To
01.31.2007 & 11.3.2008

Have you heard?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Cold
dmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond reputedmwinge has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the flour sacks that I have are handed down. We got ones that DH's grandmother had used before they moved to town and they are pretty thin. All the towels we have, you can hold up to the window on a cloudy day and see through. I might have to get some birdseye, just to see if they're the same. Love the ones we have.
~~~~~~~
This is more like what we have:

Last edited by dmwinge; 02-17-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 02-18-2011, 02:41 AM
When it comes to beavers is fresh or vintage better?

My Mood: Fine
k8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond reputek8secondo has a reputation beyond repute

Birdseye has more of a weave to it, almost like gauze, not smooth like a flour sack.

Blue Room Creations
ETSY
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
smell the farts!

My Mood: Cynical
MamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond reputeMamaOf5Cuties has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of different kinds. My "fancy company ones" are flannel on one side and microterry on the other, and I have some that are OBV on one side and a pretty woven on the other. My every day ones are also flannel on one side and microterry on the other, flannel on one side and and ATD flat on the other side, two sides of ATD flats (flats makes KILLER unpaper!), and my FAVORITES are crocheted cotton washcloths. Yep! You heard it! Plain and simple douche crocheted 10x10 squares. They make the BEST unpaper for EVERYTHING including scrubbing messy faces and counters and sinks and stoves and dishes.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Veggedout
jadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond reputejadekat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwinge View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I know nothing about fabrics. Is birdseye the same fabric as the flour sacks?

For those that don't know what a flour sack towel is, ask your mother or grandmother. LOL No, seriously. We use them all the time in the kitchen. The only time we use paper is if it's a really sticky mess or it's something the dog decided to show us that she ate. I hate chunks in my laundry.

Here's a link to what a flour sack towel looks like
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...kitchen-towel/
I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking about making some.

I have atleast 6 flour sack towels and was wondering it they would work as well as birdseye?
~~~~~~~
I was also wondering if anyone has repurposed old bath towels for unpaper towels? I have a couple that are getting holes in the middle.

IRL BFF to crochetingmama
JBITDSRAS!

Last edited by jadekat; 05-01-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Crotch flap, baby?

-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute-Blair- has a reputation beyond repute

GET AN UNPAPER TOWEL HOLDER!!! My husband got me one for Mother's Day and I LOVE it!!! Best thing ever.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Fine
eapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond reputeeapoosmama has a reputation beyond repute

FC=the art of wiping with cloth in the bathroom.
MB/E-a-poo's(R), Pioneering the resurrection of Cloth Diapers in the Pittsburgh area since 2002! http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5315476 and www.eapoos.com Mom to 3, soulmate to my heavenly husband!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 AM
I of course don't advocate laziness

My Mood: Elated
TerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond reputeTerraNoelle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi_snider View Post
i just use regular dish towels/dish cloths for anything food related including wiping little people after they consume food. they get washed in their own load every week or so (i have a LOT of towels and washcloths and we go through them like crazy.).

we don't use FC, but bum wipes are kept separately (they are just baby washcloths i've collected over the years) and washed with diapers. i will say, i'm not opposed to wiping a nose or a messy face with a bum wipe (unused, of course!) if we're out an about and i didn't happen to bring a burp cloth.

oh, and we use preemie (and infants once they're outgrown by the current baby) prefolds for nose wipers and burp cloths.
This is what we do as well [the dish towels]. For our every day eating/kitchen clean up.

I would like to get some cloth to have nicer napkins for company eventually though. Some great ideas in this thread!!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
has a pet troll.

My Mood: Amused
rachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond reputerachelmaria has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm another mom that is fixin to switch over to unpaper towels.I never even though of flats, but it seems to be the most popular/effective.

I do have a question about laundry, though. I still use chemically cleaners. I will eventually use green cleaners like vinegar and baking soda, but I see no reason to throw away what I have to switch over. I'll just use everything up and then start making my own. And cleaners last forrrrrrreverrrrr. gah! Anyways, if you use chemically cleaners, would you wash all these separately? Or, what else would you add to a load of unpaper towels? TIA.

Miss Mabel Ruth Adaleine, the apple of my dang eyeballs. 10-25-10. And falling madly in love with Milo Jameson Rex 10-6-13.

And recently (finally) hitched to my babydaddy 3-31-14