ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Entertainment Zone > Celebrity Gossip

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually read quite a few of them. I *never* said I liked the performance. I, in fact, criticized it on several counts. I simply don't think that calling *her* a tramp based on a stage performance is fair.

The discussion about appropriation of black culture...is a strange one for me. I knew/know plenty of white girls who grow up in predominantly black areas, or with lots of black friends, who appropriate black culture and are not generally criticized for it. The black culture that we are talking about is, after all, an *American* culture, and whether you are exposed to it has more to do with your economic status & the neighborhood that you live in than the color of your skin, at least out here in CA.

And if she wants to be an R&B artist, Miley would do well to appeal to black culture, and has probably been advised to do so. Eminem did it, Justin Timberlake did it. Hell, Elvis Presley appropriated what was previously considered "race music" and made it popular to the rest of the USA. They certainly did a better job of it than Miley Cyrus, though. Which, honestly, isn't too terribly surprising, because we all know how she grew up. Well socialized with different *real* cultures in the real world, she is not. She grew up in a world of private schools, paid tutors, and disney film sets. She certainly can't lay claim any sort of gritty past or harlem childhood.

A simple youtube search shows that there are as many twerking white girls as there are black girls. In fact, several "twerk teams" were very mixed race...and they all seemed to be twerking in relative harmony. Whatever the roots, I would say that it's a bit of a stretch to call twerking cultural appropriation at this point. And the dancing - all of the dancing was bad - bad, busy, and over-the-top sexual. I would have a hard time saying that the black women were any more objectified than she was objectifying herself, with one exception - the butt slap and simulated "rimming". I thought that was tasteless. I would have a hard time saying, based on that one action, if the *intent* was to objectify the woman she was slapping because of her race, or if the intent was to objectify and shock, period - because there was certainly plenty of objectification going around among all races in hers and Robin Thicke's performances.

I think that the performance was crappy. I think that if she was attempting to appeal to black culture, she got it wrong. I think if she was intentionally objectifying the black women in her performance because they were black, that that's not cool, either. But just like her "Look at me, I can be sexy, I'm all grown up" statement seemed to have backfired horribly, I think it's possible that she was trying to say "Look at me, I can do this type of music and appeal to you, too - I'm not just a preppy white girl", but it went horribly wrong.

The best articles on the subject that I read:

http://jezebel.com/on-miley-cyrus-ra...with-514381016

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-appropriation

http://www.slate.com/articles/double...ck_bodies.html

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

but then there are some that will say that Eminem succeeded b/c he marketed "black music" to white people in away that makes it accessible to them- so that he's not an artist for black people but a white artist making black music for white people.

I read the Jezebel one. I don't know if I read the others you posted. I will definitely read those later though, thanks for the link!
~~~~~~~
I still can't believe she grabbed that woman's butt and stuck her tongue out at it like she did- like she was going to lick her butt. that was really just gross... to do something likethat on stage in front of a whole bunch of people?? ugh.
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).

Last edited by Shopaholic; 09-05-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I want a clown scooter and a candy dildo!

My Mood: Scurvy
QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute

NO ONE CALLED MILEY CYRUS NAMES. Not a tramp, a whore or a slut. We said she was ACTING like a tramp/slutty. Big difference.

― Erin Hanson

Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 PM

aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenRainbow View Post
NO ONE CALLED MILEY CYRUS NAMES. Not a tramp, a whore or a slut. We said she was ACTING like a tramp/slutty. Big difference.
Did we read the same thread? Just skimming through the first few pages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Liam Hemsworth and not anymore! smart guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugnKiss View Post
oh good!! he's way too beautiful to deal with that bag of crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1163 View Post
I just felt sad for her - she didn't look classy or smart - just tramps

If that was what she wanted then good for her
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annonymous View Post
Slut shaming- that's a new one to me. Must be part of that new dangled don't hurt anyone's feelers no matter how assaying they behave. As far as Wikipedia is concerned, slut shaming is shaming someone for being sexually active. I do not care if the girl has sex, or with who, but when she is acting like a completely trashy, disgusting, whore on stage, on tv, in front of children even she is disgusting, and she put herself out there to be judged, and this is what she wants anyway. Look at me, I do drugs, I have sex with anyone, anytime I want. She's nasty. End of story.
~~~~~~~

Fark iPad. Ok corrections in order. Fangled. Assanine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni View Post
I am confused why calling a duck a duck is "slut shaming". If it looks like a skank, girates like a skank, humps a foam finger like a skank it IS a skank. And her bing a child star is of no consequence. She is an adult who gets to choose who she wants to be, she chooses skank. Good for her... I guess. But trying to make people feel bad for saying the truth is really....uh goodness I can't even think of a word for it without being really rude. But this quite liberal idea that everyone should just do whatever they want and we all just have to sit back and say "ah, such a nice lass there" is absolutely idiotic. Have I mentined lately how much I loathe the stupid American political correctness?

Quote:
Uh ok, maybe that flies in liberal lala land but most people think the crotch grabbing guy is a douchey skank and the finger humping girl a douchey skank and the whole over sexualized way that our country has gone to be seriously douchey.

And you can wrap it in a pretty ribbon all you want but when you allow your life to be like that then yes you are going to be called a douche and lots of other names. Not because you are not free to do what you want but because they are on the public stage and it doesn't matter if it is on MTV or not, all that trashy ~POOP~ gets plastered all over social media, kids play it on their phone for their friends and crap that should not have to be part of parents lives IS. It is because people make excuses for why the whole crap pile is ok.

I clap for those who stand up and say that it is unacceptable and that it is sick that people in the public eye do not take it more seriously and instead ACT instead of being real.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
would talk about penises too
AKA: zosiasmama

My Mood: Bookworm
Danni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond reputeDanni has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with your quotes. Actually I was the only one in there who actually called her a skank...I also called him a skank as well, because their behavior was skanky. Skank is not whore, it is a completely different word.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM

QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute

ok excuse me she was called nasty and disgusting.

― Erin Hanson

Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with your quotes. Actually I was the only one in there who actually called her a skank...I also called him a skank as well, because their behavior was skanky. Skank is not whore, it is a completely different word.
I never accused anyone of calling her a whore. The only time I used that word was in my definition of slut shaming, and I also included slut and skank in that definition. But since I was explaining the term in general, not just as it applied to this post, that made sense.

The post I was responding to just now, however, claimed that no one called her *any* names. Skank is a name that she was called. It's even a name that is used to devalue a woman as a person based on her clothing or sexuality, so in that sense it's pretty similar to how whore is commonly used (since most of the people who are called whores are not actually prostitutes, they are just perceived to sleep around).

Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 PM

And you are right, I was wrong. I'm willing to admit it.

Definition of skank Derogatory term for a (usually younger) female, implying trashiness or tackiness, lower-class status, poor hygiene, flakiness, and a scrawny, pockmarked sort of ugliness. May also imply promiscuity, but not necessarily. Can apply to any race, but most commonly used to describe white trash.

― Erin Hanson

Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM
I didn't think there were any of your kind out there anymore.

My Mood: Sleepy
Casey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading lately by black feminists about Miley's performance and the misappropriation of black culture. Its very fascinating stuff and th emore I watch Miley's performance, I see what they are talking about. She is treating those dancers like props- the women are separated from their bodies. I'v ebeen reading stuff by black women that talk about how they are treated - how their bodies are treated. how they are touched, esp on the butt, often by people as if they are just there for sex or to be touched- not as PEOPLE- and that it would not happen to white women. Its very interesting and I'm wondering if the people that have defended Miley have read anything about this and still feel like defending her. curiosity.
~~~~~~~
this is something that really struck me:
“Cyrus might be the most visible to our cultural denigration of bodies like mine as inferior, non-threatening spaces where white women can play at being ‘dirty’ without risking her sexual appeal.”
I think that just being a woman makes you more susceptible to being treated like an object. I think my line of work may make me more susceptible, but I've experienced it my whole life. I don't think the way I dress influences that because besides now, most instances occurred while I was wearing a uniform. I wear jeans and t-shirts with tennis shoes to work now... One guy said I wear "housewife camo" if that gives you any idea of the way I present myself. This same guy sent me a very personal picture, if you get my drift. I've been smacked on the ass, kissed on the mouth, creepily hugged, caressed, had someone describe in very graphic detail what he wanted to do to me... I could go on... I don't have a great body. I've got a small chest a belly and a round ass. I look like I've had three kids. I'm 30. If you have me on Facebook, I think you'd agree that I don't present myself in a sexual manner. All that to say, I don't think objectifying a woman is a race issue. It's a gender issue.