ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Amused
irish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond reputeirish15princess has a reputation beyond repute
Default ABA therapy..

We are starting ABA therapy soon. What should I expect? Its 4 mornings a week. TIA!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't want to smell what comes out of my ass

mommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the assessment a lot. Good luck. I almost took a job as one but it didn't work out
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist/Intern. Working on my license
Old 10-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Ohhhh sexy girlfriend...no more yanky my wanky...

My Mood: Sluggish
LisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond repute

It also depends on the company and therapists. We are on year 4 of ABA therapy. I have to run to school right now, but if you have any specific questions, let me know.

New (old fart) college student. Working hard to be a Social Worker when I grow up.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I love Tuesdays and waffles, penguins, vulvas, lol cats.
AKA: PrincessConsuelaBananahammock

Zee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond reputeZee has a reputation beyond repute

Medicaid doesn't cover it here. I would love to know how it works anyway. I'll be following jic.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 AM
It took me forever to say something funny
I apparently have vulva on the mind

My Mood: Cold
nkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the provider, IMO. ABA through Early Intervention was much different than what he's recieving through school now. EI just seemed more laid back. To me it's just a bunch of training and memorization, almost robotic
Old 10-24-2014, 02:59 AM

LisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond repute

Memorization and robotic??? That has not been our experience at all. I chose a provider who believes in training in the childs natural environments. The first few months were a bit more structured until things settled in.

New (old fart) college student. Working hard to be a Social Worker when I grow up.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 AM

mommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond repute

The group I almost worked with wasn't memorization and robotic either in most cases. Some of it was by very nature of the repetition but it absolutely was only BECAUSE it was the point to become second nature. The group I was going to work with had an occupational therapist piece too so they did large movement in a gym on site. We would go into the schools, homes and have them come to the center depending on the treatment assessment.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 PM

nkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond reputenkotbfan has a reputation beyond repute

IMO the way they are teaching my particular child seems almost robotic. I should have specified. Sorry if I offended. EI made learning fun. He blossomed with them. Through the school, it's 'sit here, repeat this'
And the memorization part of it. It's like, this is the question, this is the answer. But if you phrase the question differently, he has no idea what your talking about. And there could be several answers to the question.
Example: Who do you watch on tv?
Answer: Superwhy (this is an actual part of his program)
But he also watches Mickey Mouse, Power Rangers, etc..
Does that make sense? I don't think all ABA is like that, I do think it depends on the provider
Old 10-24-2014, 04:02 PM

That sucks Danielle I wish you had had a better experience
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Thx. I just try to use what I learned from his time in EI and incorporate it into daily life. That seems to work for him. He's not a 'sit still and repeat stuff' type of kid.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 PM

And a good ABA place should've assessed that.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:22 PM

I wasn't offended at all. We have several providers in the area and I only know of one who is big on making them sit and "work". Victoria's therapy happens in all different settings. The biggest part was the social part. She goes to stores, bowling, parties, etc. They put on a lot of social skills "classes". I use the term class loosely because they make it really fun for the kids. One class was about what things are yucky and what should we do instead of doing yucky things. Like, picking your nose or butt in public.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 PM

See, I'd love that! He is lacking most in social and language. And would benefit from outings like that. Unfortunately we have no coverage for ABA through insurance and have to take what we can get through the public school
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM

Look at the autism awareness network to see if they have any highly recommended places near you. They have a fairly comprehensive database. Can you appeal to the insurance?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 PM

I'm going to try. Sometimes there's a way around it if you code it differently