ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 AM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Default ADOS test

Has anyone been through it with their LO?

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 AM
I didn't think there were any of your kind out there anymore.

My Mood: Sleepy
Casey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what that is.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 AM

BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.pediatricswest.com/test/t...is-the-ADO.pdf

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 AM
All I hAd to do was read the thread title and... Instant kegels.

My Mood: In Love
Jae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. 95% accuracy in only a half an hour. Sounds too good to be true. We had three separate one hour visits when we were going through diagnosis, though I admit it was different since they were testing for more than just an asd . I hope it goes well for you . That % of accuracy is exciting.
~~~~~~~
My phrasing of "just an asd" was delivered poorly. In my head I meant that they had a PT evaluation and iq test as well.

Last edited by Jae; 08-12-2014 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 AM

I'm nervous evaluate she's been in early intervention for a year, and made a lot of progress. I don't know what to expect for the test. It's Thirsday. She is also reviewing videos I've sent her and the schools evaluation/her IEP

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I like dead plants

My Mood: Blah
kitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond reputekitty1163 has a reputation beyond repute

This is for your littlest?

What are her symptoms if I can ask?

I have a kiddo who was in EI for the 1st 3 years if her life. But she has an identifiable DX - strokes/brain damage. At one pt docs suggested Austism for her. We never did a test tho.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1163 View Post
This is for your littlest?

What are her symptoms if I can ask?

I have a kiddo who was in EI for the 1st 3 years if her life. But she has an identifiable DX - strokes/brain damage. At one pt docs suggested Austism for her. We never did a test tho.
This is the write-up I sent to the psych. Its not everything, but it is long

She is sensitive to sound, light, and sometimes visual input. She is picky about what kinds of touch she will accept. As a baby she spent the majority of her waking hours screaming. She hated to be held or dressed. She only slept in 20 minute stretches and would be up for hours in between. When she did sleep the rest of the household walked on eggshells. If you were holding her when she fell asleep you couldn't move her, touch her, brush her hair aside without her waking up screaming as if she was in pain. She rejected all bottles and pacifiers with fierce shrieks and her whole body would turn red.
She rejected solid foods as a toddler but would tolerate some purees.

When she began to roll over/try to crawl she turned her hands upside down to avoid touching the carpet with the palms of her hands. As soon as she could pull herself to a standing position she began climbing and pushing heavy things. By 10 months she was pushing her (then 47-lb) sister down the hall in a toy car they shared. She also sought out the heater vents or fans as a soothing mechanism. And she fidgeted to calm on rough input days (and still does), doing a mixed rock/wiggle.

As a baby and early into toddlerhood we attempted things like story time at the library. She loved the bouncing movements but when we broke into play she would retreat to the window and spend the rest of the time staring out of it. She rejected any offer of play except for one stacking cup activity. She recoiled when people tried to talk to her and would find a line or boundary and pace it during high stress situations. Interrupting this routine would result in an hour long meltdown. Once when a friend was watching her at her house she was pacing a line on the linoleum in the kitchen. She stepped on some flour that had been missed when sweeping and hit the ground like a rag doll screaming as if something had physically hurt her. My friend reported that it took about 20 minutes to calm her down (which they did by rocking back and forth on a giant bean bag)

Outtings in general were hard for everyone. She had a low tolerance for places like the grocery store and refused to sit in a cart. After about 10 minutes of shopping she would jump up in the air and slam down onto her knees over and over as we walked down the aisle. That was our cue to end the shopping trip.
In instances where we missed her cues and she melted down in a public place it is impossible to get her in the carseat. On one occasion she became overloaded at Zoo Lights and stripped down to her underwear in 21 degree weather while screaming.

She has always hated the car in general. Now that she has some language she will express that she wants no music, or the way a road sounds bothers her, or that it is making her dizzy but when she was younger her only cues were to scream hysterically.

When we first started play group in birth-3 she spent the majority of the class with noise reducing headphones on. At home sounds like the washer running were extremely upsetting, and the TV was never able to be at a volume higher than 5. With a year of therapies under her belt, a visual schedule and a consistent heavy-work routine at home she is able to tolerate a higher level of these things than in the past. On days that she is out of sync she still wears her headphones at home, and needs them for crowded or loud places, though she will sometimes take them off once she is familiar with the environment.

Socially she has made some strides and will sometimes play with other children if someone is guiding the situation. There are still times where she will shut down, hide her face, or scream when other children invite her to play, but they happen less often than before we began intervention.

Transitions are really hard for her, as is the unexpected. If she has an idea of how something will happen and it changes she becomes very upset. It can be as simple as someone walking too closely in her path. In cases of unexpected contact with people or accidental touch she usually drops her head and withdraws. She may stop talking and not respond when spoken to, or she may scream. Often we have to repeat the scenario until it happens in the manner that she was expecting, or with enough warning of what will happen next. One such occasion in the last few months was at a store. She had taken off (this is a newish behavior for her, and she is quite stealthy) and I had to take her out of the store, kicking and screaming. She screamed and thrashed and her whole body went tense and she wouldn't let me touch her once we got to the car. When she is that upset her ability to communicate is limited to a few words, usually repeated over and over. Often it seems like it isn't really what she is trying to say and she is frustrated that she can't get it out correctly. Finally I realized she was screaming to try it again. We walked back into the store and she was instantly quiet and communicative as we walked around the perimeter and back out to the car. She got into her carseat without fighting, and spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch under her weighted blanket.

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Jae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you communicated all of that very clearly. (I'm impressed because I'm always a jumbled mess ) I can see that you would want a good idea of how the testing is going to go so you can relay that to her to prep before the experience. Perhaps a google search can help? Or look for a group on facebook? Tons of hugs going into this!
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 AM

So the test went unbelievable off-the-charts well. She said she can definitely say it isn't Autism. We are meeting again next week to go over everything in detail including the school's evaluation (OT, visual schedule, one-on-one social skills practice etc) but I swear if I hear "its just a sensory issue" one more time I might punch somebody.

I was ready for them to say Autism. Now we are in this weird place of "now what?"
There is one other thing that was on DH's radar that he just told me and its terrifying as all get-out to me.

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 AM

Can I ask what it is? And why they said it is not autism?

My son has dyspraxia , which looks a lot like autism from the outside. It gets mistaken frequently, especially when he was younger.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:43 AM

Her social reciprocity during the exam was quite possibly the bet I've ever seen. The psych said her eye contact, pretend play, empathy was too high to be on spectrum. She was tested on module 2, based on the fact that she goes selectively mute. Her capacity for speech I think was closer to module 3

DH is afraid it could be early signs of schizophrenia. His aunt has it.

I've looked at dyspraxia but she doesn't have any of the physical struggles. If anything her muscle tone is abnormally high. She has occasional trouble with vestibular function but it's usually triggered by visual input (like a funky floor pattern).

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire