ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM
off her meds.

My Mood: Balanced
OhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autism ~ favourite resources? (and the DX keep piling on)

So, long story short.. we are having a private psychological and educational assessment for DD on the recommendation of a psychiatric consult suspecting some of her issues may fall under being gifted. She went ino the testing with TS+ (TS w/ OCD, anxiety) and SPD and the doctor strongly believes the end result will be an Asperger's dx.

Given that the same doc, when taking family history, felt sure that DH's severe ADHD and social anxiety are actually Aspergers (and it fits), I suppose it is no surprise, but it has never come up from therapist, pedi etc.

There are very clear areas in which DD is testing as highly gifted, but the deficiencies showing up point to autism ~ she is off the charts when it comes to factual knowledge but cannot sit down and turn those facts into a paragraph with a point... LOL

I have always said social cues are beyond her, but when reading the Aspergers materials, I would say she just barely falls into the social problems. With her SPD, TS, OCD and anxiety she fits the others. She is highly verbal but was a late talker, lacks executive functions skills etc.

Anyway, the one positive of this dx would be access to many more resources. I am just feeling a little gut punched by the forever-ness of this type of dx (where TS can improve significantly with age and maturity).

And my reaction is always to get the info... so what are your favourite resources~ books, blogs, services....
http://beneaththerowantree.com
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM
I don't want to smell what comes out of my ass

mommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Every child is slightly different. I would also make sure they are diagnosing her with the new DSM-5 and not the older DSM-IV. The new DSM just came out so I don't know if everyone has the new edition yet
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist/Intern. Working on my license
Old 04-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Amazed
bellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond reputebellamama has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-but-Scat.../dp/1593854455
https://www.facebook.com/autismdiscu...ref=ts&fref=ts
http://www.nldontheweb.org/ (nonverbal learning disorder)

Research girls on the spectrum specifically. There's often a difference in the social skills area, among other things.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM
off her meds.

OhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond reputeOhMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links!
I have started digging a little on the girl issue... both Tourette's and ASD are much more common in boys.

Wow... the difference between the DSM4 and 5 makes a considerable difference.

I read the 4 and she fits pretty well under Aspergers. But with the 5 the fit is much less neat given that her social defecits are present but not to the degree indicated for ASD in DSM5 (a girl thing?). She makes eye contact, plays with friends, makes/initiates new friends (as long as she is in charge LOL), is a great public speaker... yes, she misses social cues, talks at people, doesn't do well with back and forth dialogue. This will be interesting because a lot of these can also come with the gifted label. I need to sit down and read through it all again before we meet with the psychologist next.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't want to smell what comes out of my ass

mommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond reputemommytoonegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is she gifted? A lot of kids, especially very gifted have something called OverExcitabilities (google is your friend here). http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/dabrowski.htm That should get you started.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist/Intern. Working on my license
Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

It's not necessarily that ASD is more typical in boys. Its mostly that girls hide it better and are harder to dx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...tter-boys.html

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 PM
off her meds.

Helpful.
Yes -- I have read about Dabrowski -- basically same as her SPD I thought... So it all depends on your umbrella. Yes, she is gifted.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Cheerful
for my loves is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulChaos View Post
It's not necessarily that ASD is more typical in boys. Its mostly that girls hide it better and are harder to dx

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...tter-boys.html
Thank you so much for this link. It sounds an awful lot like our girl. She is an incredible faker but she really does miss social cues.

Planning on showing this to my husband when he gets home. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:54 AM
My mind is in a bad, bad place.

dubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond repute

We have very similar sounding kids. DD has TS, Anxiety, was diagnosed (now resolved) with mixed receptive expressive language disorder, and now we're (hopefully) on the road to the new DSM5 Social communication disorder. I believe she should have been diagnosed with Aspergers a few years ago when we got the anxiety and MRELD diagnoses, but the Psychologist we saw wouldn't, even though I'm pretty sure she met the criteria almost exactly

My DD is also an amazing faker. I choose to look at it as good coping skills, which is great long term, just not so helpful while trying to get her diagnosed.

Make shopping more fun!:
GreatCanadianRebates