ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Health and Wellness

Notices

Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Where's that title fairy?

Seun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Childhood Obesity - Interesting Insight

Yesterday, I was talking to my kids about the onset of puberty and how sometimes kids that are overweight seem to start sooner and as an example, I mentioned a child at school that is overweight and definitely going through puberty early.

Neither of my children had ever thought of this child as overweight. I was so surprised and then I felt terrible that I had pointed it out and made a point of telling them that it would be extremely rude to mention it.

The more I think about it though, the more surprised I am. My children are all on the very skinny side, but they don't recognize obesity. Is that because it is prevalent or because they are kids and just don't notice things like that?

Seun Designs Inc. is closed. Clearance Diaper Covers!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:16 PM
I want a clown scooter and a candy dildo!

My Mood: Scurvy
QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Kids just don't notice things like that IMO. And if they do they don't think much about it.

― Erin Hanson

Old 01-13-2015, 05:31 PM
expecting 3 to 7 inches by morning.

My Mood: Lurking
oak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond reputeoak_leaf has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't been brainwashed by the billion dollar diet industry. I also don't discuss other children's health with my kids as I have no idea how healthy someone is just by looking at them.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
on the inflatable mattress in front of the tv.

My Mood: Fine
Momma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond reputeMomma2A&L has a reputation beyond repute

I think it really depends on the kid.

My kids are very skinny - like I need to take in elastic waist pants skinny!

DS is 7 and is blind to all physical attributes. Awhile back we knew immediately that his cousin was not telling the truth and trying to get him in trouble saying that he had called her "fatty, fatty, fatty pants" as that's just not something on his radar. He had to be told (by same cousin) that his classmate was African American. When she referred to "that black boy in your class" his reply was "We don't have anyone like that in my class." He will notice behavior, tone of voice, clothing, but not anything physical.

DD is 4 1/2. She is the complete opposite. She points out skin color, body weight, body hair , etc where ever we go, In her extremely loud 4 year old voice. She learning to filter, but it's slow! She walked up to my niece at Xmas, poked her in the stomach and said "Big, fat belly! Squishy, Emmy!" :/
Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Ohhhh sexy girlfriend...no more yanky my wanky...

My Mood: Sluggish
LisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a little of both. About the puberty thing. While it's true that sometimes overweight kids hit puberty early, I had 3 underweight girls go through puberty starting between the ages of 9-10. My 4th girl will be 10 in August. She is starting puberty now and I'm really worried that she too, will get her period by the age of 10. This has been the pattern with women in the family all the way back to my Grandma.

New (old fart) college student. Working hard to be a Social Worker when I grow up.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Titless...That's something I haven't been since I was ten...

Sabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak_leaf View Post
They haven't been brainwashed by the billion dollar diet industry. I also don't discuss other children's health with my kids as I have no idea how healthy someone is just by looking at them.
Oh, amen. I can't see how any part of the conversation was appropriate, honestly. Well, I mean talking about puberty obviously is, but not bringing in another kid as an example of something, because there's just no way to know what's going on, even puberty-wise. My overweight kid has only just started getting breast buds, but she had enough chub she looked kinda like she had boobs long before she did.

I don't pretend to be a weight-guesser. While there are obviously outliers (no one's going to mistake my almost-11-year-old for a normal weight child), it's pretty hard to figure out for most kids which side of what's frankly an imaginary and arbitrary line they fall on. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I have so many daughters, but speculating on another person's weight isn't something I'd choose to do or encourage.

Her heart is a river in my blood

Old 01-14-2015, 03:44 AM
part werewolf

My Mood: Bookworm
sourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond reputesourpatch_babe has a reputation beyond repute

Only time my kids have mentioned weight is when The Kid was 3-4 and we had a repairman come fix the dishwasher. The guy was a really big Hawaiian (like 300lbs) and when he walked in The Kid said "oh my God, that guy is SO fat!!" very loudly and I wanted the earth to swallow me whole right then and there. I assume he picked that up at the preschool he was going to as he picked up several bad habits and words there and came home talking about inappropriate things he'd never seen in our house.

Dear Pot,
That's offensive.

Sincerely, Kettle
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 AM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra View Post
Oh, amen. I can't see how any part of the conversation was appropriate, honestly. Well, I mean talking about puberty obviously is, but not bringing in another kid as an example of something, because there's just no way to know what's going on, even puberty-wise. My overweight kid has only just started getting breast buds, but she had enough chub she looked kinda like she had boobs long before she did.

I don't pretend to be a weight-guesser. While there are obviously outliers (no one's going to mistake my almost-11-year-old for a normal weight child), it's pretty hard to figure out for most kids which side of what's frankly an imaginary and arbitrary line they fall on. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this because I have so many daughters, but speculating on another person's weight isn't something I'd choose to do or encourage.
This

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Where's that title fairy?

Seun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond reputeSeun has a reputation beyond repute

I did not mean to insult anyone. I'm really sorry.

In the context of the conversation, it made sense to talk about weight because we were talking about breast buds and how some kids in the class seemed to be developing faster. When they change for gym, all the girls compare, apparently. Dd was the last one in the class to start wearing bras and she only wears them now because the other girls were teasing her.

Like Mama2A&L, my kids are so skinny that I have to take in skinny fit jeans with adjustable waistband elastic 12 to 14 buttonholes so that they don't fall down.

I happen to know that the child I mentioned is overweight. The child has multiple weight related health problems. It wasn't just a guess based on an arbitrary line.

There are health problems that go along with both being over and underweight and kids need to know that, imo.

Seun Designs Inc. is closed. Clearance Diaper Covers!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:19 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

I try to keep an open ended conversation with both kids regarding health, but it never pertains to someone's size. I just preach the importance of healthy eating habits, exercise, and even healthy oral hygiene, as a lot of other issues can arise from neglecting to care for your teeth.

The word fat is not allowed in my house, but luckily we haven't had any issue with hearing it yet. It's one of those words that immediately gets my shackles up, much like the 'R' word. I guess because I cannot find any circumstance in which using it, as a descriptive, is necessary.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)