ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Safety Section

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Got Snark?

My Mood: Bookworm
tea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond reputetea_cozy has a reputation beyond repute

My DS.... I told him 4'9" and 80 pounds...

He hit that when he turned 11.

Crunchy Wiccan -

Mom to Liam , 14, Spirit Babies: Dorian (7/31/15), Ninja (6/ 25/16) and Fur-mom to Loki the Bichon and Rocky the Hedgehog. Cautiously expecting Hayden Micah on 4/2/17

Living in North Dakota, where it is colder than Siberia. It really is. Look it up.

What you see is what you get. Progress, not perfection, is what counts
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
It's not what I would necessarily go by either, but it's a good guide line for the general population. For the majority of parents (particularly the random ones at seat checks), a concrete height is going to stick with them much longer than "move them out of the booster once they can do A, B, C, D, and E". And a height is a much better guess than an age. So in reality, its the "one size fits most" answer the pros have come up with. Some states have already started to adopt it as law and hopefully they all will eventually because the 6, 7, or even 8 year min doesn't cut it for the vast majority of kids.
Yeah, I definitely understand that. I just wanted to clarify that parents should still reassess selt belt fit once the child hits that height because due to torso height differences, 4'9" on one child will fit the belt better/worse than the next.

Unfortunately parents tend to be in a rush in this area to get their kids out of all safety seats. I've only seen a handful of fellow third graders who still use one, and my son is taller than most of his classmates.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I need a blow job

My Mood: Happy
mandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond reputemandy_moo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really glad to see this thread... currently my 5 y/o is still in the full five point harness type seat, but I don't know all that much about what should come next, and when. All I know is that things have changed SO much since I was a kid... I don't have any recollection of being in a car seat - I can remember being younger than my DS and sitting in the back seat of my dad's little two door Monza. I remember being 6 or 7 when my dad bought a Jeep Comanche and sitting in the little middle bench seat (and shifting the stick for him, lol) or even piling into the back of the (covered) truck (it had a carpet kit so it was comfortable, but obviously not especially safe ), so all this car seat business is totally new to me.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being 5 or 6 and riding in the open cab of my uncle's truck, down the highway, to go get ice cream at Dairy Queen.

I also recall going on vacation and taking two of our neighbor friends. We were already a 5 person family and owned a station wagon, so my brother and his friend rode in the trunk space of the 'wagon.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Yeah, I definitely understand that. I just wanted to clarify that parents should still reassess selt belt fit once the child hits that height because due to torso height differences, 4'9" on one child will fit the belt better/worse than the next.

Unfortunately parents tend to be in a rush in this area to get their kids out of all safety seats. I've only seen a handful of fellow third graders who still use one, and my son is taller than most of his classmates.
Right, and I figured any of us here would want the "better" answer, so that's why I'm always like "it's 4'9" BUT..."

It's rare to see boosters used here too. Well, they're used for 3-4 year olds maybe. But for the most part, you see 4+ year old's in nothing and grade schoolers in the front seat. It drives me bananas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy_moo View Post
I'm really glad to see this thread... currently my 5 y/o is still in the full five point harness type seat, but I don't know all that much about what should come next, and when. All I know is that things have changed SO much since I was a kid... I don't have any recollection of being in a car seat - I can remember being younger than my DS and sitting in the back seat of my dad's little two door Monza. I remember being 6 or 7 when my dad bought a Jeep Comanche and sitting in the little middle bench seat (and shifting the stick for him, lol) or even piling into the back of the (covered) truck (it had a carpet kit so it was comfortable, but obviously not especially safe ), so all this car seat business is totally new to me.
When my youngest sister Michelle completed our family of 7 in 1996 we had a 6-passenger truck. The next youngest, 3 at the time, rode in the center lap belt. No seat whatsoever. The other two, 8 and 9, shared the other rear seat belt. I rode in the front passenger's seat and my mother rode in the front center lap belt.

Ironically, my parents were actually really strict about car safety. They just didn't know that seat belts (particularly lap belts) aren't enough. They did keep Michelle in a harnessed seat until nearly 7 "because she was so small". But not one of us ever rode in any sort of booster.

I'm honestly not sure how any of us survived childhood. Luckily, they did put the fear of death into me about wearing seatbelts though because I wouldn't have lived to see 18 otherwise.

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 PM

My Mood: Sunshine
Mamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond reputeMamma_Viola has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 8 months older than yours and still in a harnessed booster. It really bothers her that her friends aren't in car seats. As in, they should be too, not that she should be out of one. If she's anything like her sister, she won't hit 4'9" until she is 12! lol
Old 01-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Can I get in on the boob bandwagon?

My Mood: Breezy
billsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond reputebillsanders has a reputation beyond repute

My short, petite 9 yo is in a high back booster and will be for awhile I am sure. She has never asked to get out of it. I don't know if it's because she just doesn't care or just knows I will say not until she is bigger. Most of her classmates were using backless boosters in Kindy and nothing by 3rd grade.

Jenn
I am a rambler and an accomplished beginning appeased with wanders through life like or

Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Inactive Member

mymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond repute

My 10 y/o's are in high-back boosters (56-57" tall), the 5 year old is in a 5 point, and of course the baby has her seat. Only one of my girls has made a comment about not being in a booster. She understands she needs to grow out of her high-back booster 1st.
I have the Incognito that Carly recommended on my Amazon list for when the time comes.

Not long ago one of the preschooler mom's made a comment about the seats, "Wow, you have a lot of seats in your car!"
She has a 3rd grader and a 5 y/o....both are not in seats.

I know I am in the minority with car seats in my area. Seems like most people want their kids out of them ASAP.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:06 PM
You sure have a mystery on your hands, err...

My Mood: Balanced
Veganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond reputeVeganmamma has a reputation beyond repute

My 9 year old is waiting till he is 10. Socially he hates being in a booster seat as not one of his friends uses one and they always make comments asking him why he still is using one. He won't be 4'9, but he has a long torso and well, I am giving in to the social pressure. It is very important to him to not look like a baby and we agreed on age 10.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I can get some from the internet

My Mood: Nerdy
Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymarvins View Post
My 10 y/o's are in high-back boosters (56-57" tall), the 5 year old is in a 5 point, and of course the baby has her seat. Only one of my girls has made a comment about not being in a booster. She understands she needs to grow out of her high-back booster 1st.
I have the Incognito that Carly recommended on my Amazon list for when the time comes.

Not long ago one of the preschooler mom's made a comment about the seats, "Wow, you have a lot of seats in your car!"
She has a 3rd grader and a 5 y/o....both are not in seats.

I know I am in the minority with car seats in my area. Seems like most people want their kids out of them ASAP.

my almost 4 year old is still harnessed, he is only 29 pounds...he will probably stay harnessed until 6 and then we will take the straps of his seat and use it as a highback booster (we have a radian) Its not that I am trying to get my kids out of seats faster, I just didn't know at what age/height/weight it is safe for them to be out of a seat.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Inactive Member

mymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond reputemymarvins has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to get your child out of her seat faster.
I was referring to those I see at the preschool I take my son to. He's in the minority, and so am I as a parent.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM
I want my cooter bedazzled.
AKA: ClothDiaperMePlease

My Mood: Breezy
Elle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganmamma View Post
My 9 year old is waiting till he is 10. Socially he hates being in a booster seat as not one of his friends uses one and they always make comments asking him why he still is using one. He won't be 4'9, but he has a long torso and well, I am giving in to the social pressure. It is very important to him to not look like a baby and we agreed on age 10.
The incognito may be a great compromise...
Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM
I can get some from the internet

My Mood: Nerdy
Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymarvins View Post
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to get your child out of her seat faster.
I was referring to those I see at the preschool I take my son to. He's in the minority, and so am I as a parent.
OK! Its hard to tell sometimes, via messages...lol

Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamoon View Post
OK! Its hard to tell sometimes, via messages...lol
So true!
Sorry about that.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Where's that title fairy?

Dillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond repute

My 11 uses a backless monterey. He probably technically 5 steps in at least a few of the seating positions in our cars. It's super close. My personal decision has been when the booster creates a worse fit than the seatbelt, then he can go without a booster. However, if he starts entering puberty or hits 13 before this happens, we will evaluate again and he may go full time without a booster if the belt fit is adequate. He is about 4 ft 8 and 72 lbs right now but the spot he's in, he still fits better with a booster than without.