ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Special Needs

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Inactive Member

milniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud of
Default My 14 yo, allergic to peanuts ds...

went to a French club party at school yesterday and ate crepes with nutella spread inside. Afterwards the teacher felt she should mention that there were tree nuts in the spread inside the crepes. He was fine. He technically he is only allergic to peanuts but when he was little the dr said to just avoid all tree nuts as well to be safe. He is/was always so good about asking and reading labels. He learned to read by 3 1/2 and has always been very good about it. Totally at a loss as to why he ate these w/o asking. But he said they were good and had no issues..I only found out when he mentioned it in passing. But really...I know this is HS ( the class/club has kids from 9-12) but really, the teachewr should have mentioned it before they all ate! Man, allergies are scary stuff and suck.

open for YYMN spots!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

My Mood: Amused
Dana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond reputeDana has a reputation beyond repute

wow I'd be annoyed
I'm not even allowed to send in peanut butter products for Jakes snack at school because there is a kid in the other K class who has allergies and he may possibly come in contact with a surface in Jakes class and get sick
I can't imagine a teacher serving something that has any possibility of triggering someones allergies
it should have been clearly labeled
Old 02-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

My Mood: Sleepy
Shaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond reputeShaineinok has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeek! Glad he's okay.
My daddy passed away 5/6/13. Almost a year now.
I am usually reading, knitting or plotting which to do next if i'm not herding my wild bunch.
Ravelry
Goodreads
Pinterest
I was catch up reading a blog the other day and this stuck with me. When your having a bad/mad mom kinda day.
"Just remember, you're all she/he has in the world…"
http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/20...at-target.html
Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a blue nipple
AKA: Nikkis_little_ladies

Picklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, would be annoyed. There is a boy in my dds class whom is allergic to nuts. The teacher had to take a mini class about epi pens. ALL the parent's know that nothing made from home or store bought can be sent in if there are ANY nuts in it at all.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Cheerful
JustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond reputeJustTara has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, Nikki, this is the age where most allergic reactions occur - because the teenage years are known for invincibility and wreckless behavior. We spend years telling them to always check the label, don't eat if it has no label, we have 504 plans, medic alert bracelets, and then one day your child has to take the wheel. I'm terrified to parent Dorothy through the teens....

I'm so glad it was nutella - for your sake, though if something like that happens for us, I pray that is peanut butter....

Watch the video I posted. It's worth your time...

I sell Pampered Chef and I can have it shipped directly to you! Check out www.pamperedchef.com, email or message me, and we can get your order in! ...and Paypal is an acceptable form of payment to me!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a blue nipple
AKA: Nikkis_little_ladies

Picklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond repute

I have to watch like a hawk that Addyson doesn't get ahold of stuff.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 PM
If she ever tells you to google things you guys...don't do it!

My Mood: Devilish
Snangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond reputeSnangel has a reputation beyond repute

I am allergic to peanuts as well. I had a majority of my allergic reactions in hs. I just wasn't as careful as I should have been. I wanted to eat like everyone else, I hated always saying oh i'm allergic, I can't have anything. I got better as I got older, and really understood that I could die, and really what it meant for me.
I would suggest having another talk about it with him, and always make sure he has his epipen and that he and others are ready and willing to use it.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Banned
AKA: Simply Sanity Creations - B/S/T with Caution - Not allowed to B/S on CDN

My Mood: Busy
Sanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at a daycare, we weren't even allowed to bring anything in the door if it had ANY kind of nuts in it, granola bars included, because of the mere possiblility that someone could be allergic.

I am thankful that DD is really good (at the moment at least) about not eating something if it has gluten in it, and telling EVERYONE that she only eats gluten-free things...
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Banned

My Mood: Confused
Naturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond repute

eek. at therapy, the other waiting room mamas keep on offering my son chips.
He has a tomato allergy and most chips has tomato powder in them!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 AM
B/S/T with caution!!!

My Mood: Sick
momof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond reputemomof2stepmomof3 has a reputation beyond repute

I am shocked they served anything with peanuts in the first place. Peanuts are a very common allergy. Glad DS was okay.

Wife & SAHM to a herd I (2 1/2) G (1 1/2)
Stepkids A(17) D (14) A (10) Soon to be step grandma to Landon Scott Due Jan 5th.

Please forgive me if I snap your head off. I am having some emotional family issues on top of expecting baby #3 that is still taking some time to get used to.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Much loved by The Title Fairy and all the ladies of CDN.
AKA: mommy2boys0608

My Mood: Fine
crunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymomof3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturallia View Post
eek. at therapy, the other waiting room mamas keep on offering my son chips.
He has a tomato allergy and most chips has tomato powder in them!
dude people need to ASK !!! why do people offer other people's kids food .. we do not have any allergies that i know of but still that is so RUDE and people need to think
~~~~~~~
ok rant over and OP i am glad he is ok .

Last edited by crunchymomof3; 03-01-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Banned

My Mood: Confused
Naturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond reputeNaturallia has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they thought they were being nice... .
Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned
AKA: Simply Sanity Creations - B/S/T with Caution - Not allowed to B/S on CDN

My Mood: Busy
Sanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond reputeSanity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boys0608 View Post
dude people need to ASK !!! why do people offer other people's kids food .. we do not have any allergies that i know of but still that is so RUDE and people need to think
~~~~~~~
ok rant over and OP i am glad he is ok .

Before I had kids, I wouldn't have thought twice about asking, but now that i have DD, who can't eat certain things, I would ASK the parent about anything I offered to their kid. Some parents get very haughty when you ask them anything though. Guess you can tell the parents who have a kid with allergies, though.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Fine
momof4girls is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be down right crappy. My 8 yo dd has a peanut allergy. We carry an epipen and the school has one locked up in nurses office (real quick access if dd really needs it).
Either I go, or send MIL to every party at school for this exact reason.
What happened to your ds scares me very much!!

My dd has always known to watch her foods, and ask or decline if she wasnt sure. But this past yr she has started mentioning she wishes she could eat this or that... This scares me too. I guess she would want to eat like everyone else..
Sorry to hear it happened.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Inactive Member

milniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud ofmilniks8 has much to be proud of

It's so hard when they get older and you have to kind of trust them to go out into the world. He is in 9th grade, I can't be at school every day to watch what he eats! I did talk to him. But man, it's scary.

open for YYMN spots!