ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > The Parents Place > Fur Kids

Notices

Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

My Mood: Happy
Katiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of bully resources online, too, that can hook you up with different rescues.

For me, a two month old and making the transition of a new dog in the house would be too much. But only you know your dog skill level and how much sleep you're getting.

But please, please make sure that you do not leave the kids alone with your dog. And invest in a break stick, just for the worst case scenario. Pit bulls don't "lock their jaws", but all terriers will bite and hold on. You have to be stronger than that, and a break stick is a safe way to get your dog to let go (for both of you - protects your hands, and his/her teeth).

Do lots of research into the dog you are getting. Ownership history. What state did it come from (California has high dog fight rescues - can be totally awesome dogs, but could have dog aggression/anxiety, which just means no dog parks, no other dogs in the house)? What is it like with people? Other dogs? Cats? Kids? Look for happy, relaxed dogs. The older the dog is, the more likely you will know it's temperament towards dogs and kids.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:50 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

What Katie said. Bully breeds are for experienced dog owners only.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebear View Post
There are lots of bully resources online, too, that can hook you up with different rescues.

For me, a two month old and making the transition of a new dog in the house would be too much. But only you know your dog skill level and how much sleep you're getting.

But please, please make sure that you do not leave the kids alone with your dog. And invest in a break stick, just for the worst case scenario. Pit bulls don't "lock their jaws", but all terriers will bite and hold on. You have to be stronger than that, and a break stick is a safe way to get your dog to let go (for both of you - protects your hands, and his/her teeth).

Do lots of research into the dog you are getting. Ownership history. What state did it come from (California has high dog fight rescues - can be totally awesome dogs, but could have dog aggression/anxiety, which just means no dog parks, no other dogs in the house)? What is it like with people? Other dogs? Cats? Kids? Look for happy, relaxed dogs. The older the dog is, the more likely you will know it's temperament towards dogs and kids.
Thank you for the info on break sticks! I had never heard of them, though I had heard of the method involved for breaking up fights. I will be ordering these as they appear to be much safer for the dog than just any old stick.
Thankfully our Pittie has shown no signs of aggression with our other dog, an Australian Cattle Dog, but with two strong dog personalities you never know.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:20 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

Katiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond repute

And they can change so much as they age. A dog-social dog can go from being social to dog-reserved to dog-aggressive, as their temperament changes as they age. All dogs can do this, not just pitties. My aunt had a very social jack russle who got very aggressive in their later years.

Pbrc.net is the best place to get a break stick from, as they are a pro-rescue org, and not involved with/related in anyway to supporting dog fighting or breeding kennels. Badrap.org is one of my favourite resources for bullies. They are not recommended for non-bully breeds, as they can injure the jaws and teeth of dogs they were not intended for.

Just please do your homework! I know that you know that a dog is a long term commitment. Don't enter into that commitment lightly, with any breed. But be aware that an under-exercised dog (bullies, especially, need a job, and need a lot of exercise), is a destructive dog who is unlikely to desire to please you. If they don't desire to please you, no amount of repercussions will cause the dog to act differently. I don't want to see you stuck with an unhappy dog, and an unhappy family.

Oh, also check your state, county, and city bylaws. Some areas don't have breed restriction laws, but have bylaws regarding leashes, muzzles, off leash, etc.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

For the record, I'm currently at the airport, waiting for my rescue pitty to clear customs.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 AM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

I personally *like* adopting older dogs - around a year old, as opposed to puppies. You can tell so much more about their temperament at that age than you can when they are puppies. We've had 4 dogs. One was a purebred from an excellent breeder that we got as a puppy, and the other three have all been rescues/adult dog adoptions. Two from the pound, one from the original owner who couldn't keep her due to allergies.

Our most recent dog was a spaniel mix from a nearby super high kill shelter. He was 8+ months old when we adopted him, and he's a doll. I watched him *very* carefully for any signs of discomfort around the baby and the other kids, watched him with toys, watched him with treats, with food, etc. Two months later and I am 100% comfortable with him and the kids, even Bliss, and she's a rough and tumble baby. I never leave them unsupervised, but I also don't feel like I have to stare at the two of them every second waiting for something to happen, kwim?

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson