ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > School Daze > High School

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
The line is forming. You could be waiting awhile...
AKA: meowzilla

My Mood: Lurking
miau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer reading recommendations?

Yeah, I know it's early...

But I want to come up with some good reading books for my dd while we are moving to our next assignment location... She will be going into the 10th grade, and she is a skilled reader.

Classics are good. I want books that will not be *too* boring but will also serve a good educational purpose, yk?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
I hit the crystal factory

My Mood: Busy
kwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond repute

You could do a combination of the original Alice in Wonderland and The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor- a little bit of classic lit and then a really cool alternate twist on the story!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

My Mood: Sunshine
Mom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a classic, but very good. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sar...kproduct&pwb=2

(I don't have a hs'er though so not sure if it is too mature or not though..but I don't think so).
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 PM

miau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond reputemiau has a reputation beyond repute

OH wow... just the summary of that book makes me teary...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

My Mood: Sunshine
Mom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond reputeMom to 3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was excellent. I couldn't put it down. It is sad, but there is a lot of happy in the book as well and some history. It was a pretty quick read for me, so I think a good reader at that age could handle it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
all I can think about are intestinal worms, if I have them,
and if it's better just to have them in there and not know...
or know and have them come out.
AKA: SweetPeaMama09

My Mood: Fine
Stef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeStef Leppard has a reputation beyond repute

A few that might be good...

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kid
Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 AM
happy to see a real toilet

Lily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to? When we've moved I've found it great to tie in the new location in the books.

At her age I loved a Tree Grows In Brooklyn and the Anne of Green Gables series, especially Rilla. In more recent years I've put these on my list for my son to read/(or he has now read):

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas
Al Capone Does My Shorts
Belles On Their Toes (the companion to Cheaper By The Dozen)
To Kill a Mockingbird
anything by Gregory Peck
My Side of The Mountain + sequels.

If she wanted more of a non-fiction book she might enjoy
Yours, Mine, and Ours - the story of a blended navy family with 18 children.
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio - a daughter's story of how her mother raised 10 kids by winning contests.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

My blog: Wanderings of a simple mind
Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM

We're moving to Iowa/Illinois (Quad Cities).