ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > School Daze > High School

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 PM
not pinching the tip seems to be working OK for us.

My Mood: Cynical
messy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need a mobile internet device for school library?

I have not been in high school for many years, definitely before the internet so I need help understanding this.

DS (9th grade) comes home today and tells me that the librarian said they need to have a mobile device that allows internet access by Thursday. He, of course, is being Vaguey McVaguerson and can't or won't tell me why. He does not have such a device and I'm not really ready to get him one. Plus, it is just not in our budget, ATM.

I have an email in to the librarian but until then, I was hoping one of you might be able to tell me why this would be necessary. He tells me all the time that he is the only kid in school without an iphone, so maybe this is an evil scheme of his?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 PM
I have never seen anyone do it the other way.
AKA: Agla on DS

My Mood: Apelike
bklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Schools are starting to issue tablets to kids in some areas but you would know all about it by now.

I thought most schools don't want cell phones in use during the school day.

I'm going to guess misinformation or wishful thinking.

I'm earning easy Amazon GCs with PerkTV
Like vintage treasures? A Minor Extravagance

Go buy yourself some Soft Stars; your feet will thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM

messy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond reputemessy mama has a reputation beyond repute

He did ask if he could take my Kindle, so maybe it's just a one time thing. If it is an absolute necessity, then I'll let him take it, I guess.

One day, I went in to take him a notebook he had left at home and the office lady said, "Just place it on the table. We won't call his class or send anyone to tell him, you'll just have to text him." His phone doesn't even have texting!! I left him several voicemails but he keeps his phone off the entire time he's there, like the rules state! They are allowed to have them at lunch and break, but he doesn't take his out because all you can do is call people with it. He knew I was bringing it and went at lunch to get it, so all was good, but that just seemed super weird to me.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM

bklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond reputebklyngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by messy mama View Post
He did ask if he could take my Kindle, so maybe it's just a one time thing. If it is an absolute necessity, then I'll let him take it, I guess.

One day, I went in to take him a notebook he had left at home and the office lady said, "Just place it on the table. We won't call his class or send anyone to tell him, you'll just have to text him." His phone doesn't even have texting!! I left him several voicemails but he keeps his phone off the entire time he's there, like the rules state! They are allowed to have them at lunch and break, but he doesn't take his out because all you can do is call people with it. He knew I was bringing it and went at lunch to get it, so all was good, but that just seemed super weird to me.
That is super weird. It's almost like they have up on the whole no cell phone during school hours thing. I didn't think it was a big deal to call down a kid but maybe they had too many parents doing it?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:23 PM

I just got done reading the teacher's email response.

He said they need one because they are doing a scavenger hunt type thing where they need their phones to read QR codes that he will have scattered around the library. His goal for this assignment is "to help students learn how to navigate through many different kinds of resources and information, including electronic resources that students will increasingly encounter in the years ahead."

Do kids really need teachers to teach them how to read QR codes? My poor, neglected, smart phone lacking son already knows how to do that.

He did say to not worry about it, that he'll be able to share with other students or even use his or the other teacher's phone. But dang, this is the first time I feel like a sucky mom for not letting my kids have things that I think are just not needed. Even if I could afford it. I know it's going to be embarrassing for him to ask to share. Will it be character building or will he just feel utter humiliation?

I can't even let him take the Kindle because it doesn't read QR codes!!

This sucks.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I just got done reading the teacher's email response.

He said they need one because they are doing a scavenger hunt type thing where they need their phones to read QR codes that he will have scattered around the library. His goal for this assignment is "to help students learn how to navigate through many different kinds of resources and information, including electronic resources that students will increasingly encounter in the years ahead."

Do kids really need teachers to teach them how to read QR codes? My poor, neglected, smart phone lacking son already knows how to do that.

He did say to not worry about it, that he'll be able to share with other students or even use his or the other teacher's phone. But dang, this is the first time I feel like a sucky mom for not letting my kids have things that I think are just not needed. Even if I could afford it. I know it's going to be embarrassing for him to ask to share. Will it be character building or will he just feel utter humiliation?

I can't even let him take the Kindle because it doesn't read QR codes!!

This sucks.
I think it's presumptuous of the teacher to ask that of the kids. I love a good scavenger hunt but if the goal was to learn how to scan things for information then he is a few years too late for that.

Don't feel sucky. I know it might seem awkward for your son but I think there is something valuable in understanding that just because you want something doesn't mean you can always have it.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 PM
I could hold an entire Staples store under my boobs.

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

That's crappy that the teacher just assumes all kids have a smartphone.
Twitter & Pinterest & Tumblr
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com
Old 10-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Get your vulva out of my way!

My Mood: Spaced
randareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond repute

I would be asking the principal for the school to provide him one. In this situation....it's an all have one and can do it or one doesn't have one so none can do it. However, no one needs to know that it was your son that doesn't have a qr reading thingy.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
is talking about Justin Beibers ass.

My Mood: Stressed
Ms.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMs.Maggie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanlili View Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM
clicking around unprotected!

My Mood: Buzzed
kukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond reputekukukachoo has a reputation beyond repute

i agree that's pretty unfair to have a required activity where not everyone has an equal playing field and that would set people apart in such a material way.

on another note, though, i am guessing that the QR codes aren't actually the technology thats being taught. that probably just gets them to the information they need to do other elements of the lesson...just my guess.

hey!!! i'm tiffany- a grateful mommy to miss thang (03/05)& lil' man (12/08).
sharing my life, my love & my issues with mr. right since 1995

Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 PM

I would be torn in how to approach this.

No one wants their kids to be left out but I would hope that my kid showing up without a smartphone and a strong conversation with the librarian would hopefully be enough not to have another kid put in this situation.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 PM
a vulva fairy!
If the titty fairy is coming, she needs to be coming to my house first.
AKA: SAHM108

My Mood: Sleepy
BackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond reputeBackLitLeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree. That is really lame.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but are kids really encouraged to take and use their phones in school nowadays? We were never allowed to have our pagers ( ) or cell phones in school. I would be pretty annoyed as a teacher trying to keep the attention of a room full of teenagers if they were all allowed to have their phone with them and on during class.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I think he's almost right though. DS tells me that at lunch, he is the only kid in his group that isn't on their phone. I know kids say that all the time when they want what everyone else has. But I've been there at lunch time and seen so many kids with their heads bowed to their phones. I find it creepy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randareena View Post
I would be asking the principal for the school to provide him one. In this situation....it's an all have one and can do it or one doesn't have one so none can do it. However, no one needs to know that it was your son that doesn't have a qr reading thingy.
I'm trying to decide if I should do that. I don't want to, but I kind of do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukukachoo View Post
i agree that's pretty unfair to have a required activity where not everyone has an equal playing field and that would set people apart in such a material way.

on another note, though, i am guessing that the QR codes aren't actually the technology thats being taught. that probably just gets them to the information they need to do other elements of the lesson...just my guess.
He said it's a lesson on how to navigate the many different kinds of resources and information, including electronic ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngirl View Post
I would be torn in how to approach this.

No one wants their kids to be left out but I would hope that my kid showing up without a smartphone and a strong conversation with the librarian would hopefully be enough not to have another kid put in this situation.

I am very torn. I'll talk with DS after school today and see what he thinks. I could let him use my phone, but I kind of need it. Plus, it's brand new and doesn't even have it's protective case yet. I don't want my phone to break.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I am very torn. I'll talk with DS after school today and see what he thinks. I could let him use my phone, but I kind of need it. Plus, it's brand new and doesn't even have it's protective case yet. I don't want my phone to break.
Talking to your ds sounds like a good plan.

Don't let him borrow your phone then throw it in the wash in the pocket of his jeans. That is how my favorite dumb phone of all time just died.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngirl View Post
Talking to your ds sounds like a good plan.

Don't let him borrow your phone then throw it in the wash in the pocket of his jeans. That is how my favorite dumb phone of all time just died.
Oh man, that stinks!

Well, I talked to him and he wants me to pick him up from school before that class, it is his last one. I'm thinking of going ahead and doing that but I want to let the teacher know how I feel, so I composed an email.

I'd love any opinions on what I should remove or add.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do have to say that it does bother me a little bit. I think it's unreasonable to assume that every kid has a smartphone, even though I know that so many of them do. While I realize he can share with a friend, don't you think that might be humiliating for a kid to have to do? It's not enough that he has to have the "peer" pressure to have a smartphone, but now he has to have teacher pressure too. We, his parents, do have smartphones and other wireless technology that he has full use of at home. I was considering letting him borrow my phone for the day, but I need it. And I'm pretty sure the school is not prepared to pay for it should it become damaged.

He wants me to pick him up from school early so he doesn't have to deal with it and I think I am going to. I feel bad that he will be missing the assignment, but I don't think he should have to be put through that. He is working very hard at bringing his grade up in English, I certainly hope this won't adversely affect that.