ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Regionally Speaking > USA > North East

Notices

Old 12-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Never even knew you could eat it!

My Mood: Devilish
chickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default D.C. Area

Anybody been there recently? We are looking at being there around Apr.
Because of where my husband's job will be and the commute, we've been advised to live on the Fairfax side. I think Springfield was mentioned.
This is stressful. I am going to want to work as well. Do we need to find a place that has an easy commute to many areas. Anybody know anything about working for any of the hospitals in the area?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2015, 04:13 PM
I always try just the tip
but I end up going all the way every time.

My Mood: Busy
Longfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond reputeLongfarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Kelly (Shopaholic) in this area?
Old 12-27-2015, 05:04 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! I iive right on the springfield/Alexandria border, near "Kingstowne" area. I"d get a place based on schools. One school I know of in Springfield is really not great but I'm sure others are great. I adore my kids' school!!!! its such a great neighborhood. Feel free to PM me!
~~~~~~~
Right where I live is a huge INOVA hospital- the big "chain" of hospitals around here. We are also close to Fort Belvoir hospital on the army base
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).

Last edited by Shopaholic; 12-27-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM

chickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond reputechickipoo has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly! You are there? Wonderful! Yes I will PM you if you don't mind. I feel this is going to b a rushed PCS because G will be gone on tdy leading up to it.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM
300 Posts and nothing funny?

debcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond repute

My SIL and bro moved to Burke this year. Unfortunately, they *might* need to move away in a hurry b/c of an unexpected military reassignment. Sigh. It is hard to connect with people more than superficially at first in such a busy area, and the diverse neighborhoods lack a sense of community. But otherwise they really like it. It helps that they love their home and pool. My bro wants to retire to the area (early military retirement), although my SIL is less sure. Many opportunities. He finds the commute to War College easy.

Their target town was Springfield. But they ended up in Burke. My parents were also considering the area for a while, and they both STRONGLY recommend their organized, non-pushy realtor. My parents often bemoan that they cannot transport him to the state they have chosen to move to. They've had to fire two stinky realtors :/.

http://www.zillow.com/profile/The-Good-Life-Realtor/
Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 PM

debcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond reputedebcita429 has a reputation beyond repute

P.S.--I expect them to know whether or not they have to head overseas and when within the next month if not the next few days. Of course, we are hoping they get to stay, but his overseers really, really do not want him on that track. If by any weird chance the timing would coincide with yours, perhaps their house would be an option for you? They might rent or sell depending. They have five kids and homeschool (great homeschool organizational space). Brick front, lots of hardwood and tile. The property backs to a school yard of some sort. Ironically, when they were in FL they purposefully got a house without a pool, but they are so glad to have one in VA where almost no one does, lol. After a stressful transition, they needed the built in haven/entertainment.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Thanks so much, debcita, I appreciate the input. We will almost certainly rent a home and we'll be there just under a year. Not sure if your family meme bets bought the house they are living in but if by chance they want to rent it out around about the first of Apr I would be happy to take a look. A pool sounds fabulous.
~~~~~~~
Kelly did you find your house on AHRN?

Last edited by chickipoo; 12-27-2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 AM

Yes, they bought it, and they are more interested in renting than selling if they indeed have to go overseas for a year. I'll try to revisit this thread when they get word.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 AM

I asked my mom about dates. I'll PM you chickipoo.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 AM
I hit the crystal factory

My Mood: Busy
kwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond repute

Burke is definitely a good way to go!

Do YOU MOO?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes AHRN. We are moving this July FYI but our landlord is.. well... he doesn't care much about maintaining this house. I"ll leave it at that, but ourrent is well below BAH.

Our particular neighborhood is amazing. Its like Mayberry. This little small town feel in a huge metropolitain area. People know each other, greet each other , you know almost everyone. The pool community is amazing. The summer swim team is amazing. The school moms are great, the PTA is super involved and parents help. Half the teachers live in the neighborhood. Its really wonderful. I"m sad to leave it!!
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Yes AHRN. We are moving this July FYI but our landlord is.. well... he doesn't care much about maintaining this house. I"ll leave it at that, but ourrent is well below BAH.

Our particular neighborhood is amazing. Its like Mayberry. This little small town feel in a huge metropolitain area. People know each other, greet each other , you know almost everyone. The pool community is amazing. The summer swim team is amazing. The school moms are great, the PTA is super involved and parents help. Half the teachers live in the neighborhood. Its really wonderful. I"m sad to leave it!!
This sounds wonderful! I have 3 swimmers. They'd love a swim team for an activity. 👍🏼
Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

Wow, that sounds great! I didn't read that about ANY NoVa neighborhoods when I was looking for my parents.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:41 AM
Where's that title fairy?

bjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond reputebjgonzo has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly, where is your hubby?
Hubby's next job may be at the Pentagon and we have been checking houses on Zillow and Military By Owner, but it sucks having to do it all online. I know traffic there is going to suck major ass, but would love to find a good area where he won't have an hour commute.