ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Homesteading

Notices

Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klen View Post
Andrea, you haven't had your orpingtons go broody? Sorry, confused by your statement, wondering if it was a mistype.

I'm thinking of getting a couple more to replace a few that passed over the last couple years.
~~~~~~~
ok, nevermind, I just reread. That's good to hear.
We've had one of our three opringtons who has been broody once. One of our easter eggers is seriously broody all.freaking.summer.long. Every single heat wave I'm having to haul her off the nest and lock her out of the coop (which then means that the others lay their eggs outside in the sticks) so that she doesn't die. She drives me NUTS.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM
I JUST CANNOT STOP!
Put it in deep, twirl it around a bit...ECSTASY!

My Mood: Busy
Deanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond reputeDeanner03 has a reputation beyond repute

We have Dominiques, Easter eggers, some true Ameracaunas, Marans, and chanteclers. We had Brahmas for a while and they were awesome. We had more egg production when we had golden comets from the feed store, but the egg basket wasn't as pretty. I love in Canada. The wind chill was -31F yesterday and we don't hear anything but the waterer after they are old enough to go outside.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 AM
CoOp Hostess
You have got to admit there aren't many things
that are better then penii and balls.

My Mood: Relaxed
WildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond reputeWildflowerJLH has a reputation beyond repute

My Buff Orpingtons are constantly broody! I already have one sitting this year.

We live in the mountains, and our chickens are in an open barn (no door). We had several weeks in the single digits at night, and we do not have a heat lamp in the barn. They come out to eat in the snow, as long as it isn't too deep. If you chickens are accustomed to a heat lamp, and it fails for some reason, they will be at risk for dying simply because they are not used to the cold. If you leave them to their own devices, they will acclimate to the weather.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:54 PM

aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, heat is a bigger danger to chickens. How hot does it get where you live? We have to make sure that we have plenty of shade for ours in the run area now that we can't let them free range anymore (due to our daytime coyote), and on really hot days (over 105) we run a sprinkler in part of the shady area.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
Old 02-16-2015, 02:14 PM
can pee in all kinds of directions

My Mood: Question
txranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond reputetxranchinmama has a reputation beyond repute

Such good information. It can get in the low 100s. Typical hot days are in the mid 90s. in 2011 we had more than 60 days of over 100s, that was very unusual. We had a hard time keeping cows and horses cool. I didn't think about chickens. But we have misters that we could set up for them if it does get hot. Plus now we have a pretty good sized 14 stall barn that has good air flow and fans for our horses. We could put them in there if it gets really hot.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Sounds like you'd be ok, then. Ours have never seemed to struggle so long as they have shade until it gets over 105.