ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Safety Section

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 02:07 PM
I can get some from the internet

My Mood: Nerdy
Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute
Default older kids in the front seat

I know that kids 12+ are legally allowed in the front seat, but that are the parameters? My oldest is a numbers kid and if I give him something to shoot for. like how much should the kid weigh and how tall before being allowed to sit in the front? He will be 12 next month. I am certain he is not big enough to sit in the front, but he wants to know WHEN he can. he is currently 70 pounds and 4'7

Old 07-13-2014, 02:30 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

My Mood: Fine
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

In Texas, you have to be 13, but I believe the general CPST consensus is approximately 14 years old. I can ask Laurel (Jenga) if you'd like? She and I keep in touch.
~~~~~~~
ETA- Momentary brain fart thinking you also lived here in TX. Sorry
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)

Last edited by Brandi; 07-13-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 PM
All I hAd to do was read the thread title and... Instant kegels.

My Mood: In Love
Jae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond reputeJae has a reputation beyond repute

We've tried to find the law in Michigan and as far as we can tell, none actually exists stating an age or weight minimum. Our 10 year old is 100 pounds and 5' tall. We allow him to ride in the front occasionally. Have you googled your states laws?

Personally, I'd be more comfortable waiting a couple more years, but my husband argues that he's the size of a small adult already. Plus, when we are in the truck, he has no choice but to sit in front.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Ohhhh sexy girlfriend...no more yanky my wanky...

My Mood: Sluggish
LisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond reputeLisaEileen has a reputation beyond repute

I go by 5', 100 pounds. This is the rule we had to use when I worked in the group homes. When I worked in the elderly home, we had several really tiny adults and they used to get really ticked off because they couldn't sit in the front seat.

I was actually looking for this info the other day because Tabitha just turned 12. She and Victoria are both 4'10". Tabitha weighs a bit over 100 pounds. She is really muscular, especially in her butt and legs from roller derby. I know adult women who are Tabitha's size and sit in front, so it's a close call, I guess. When I was looking, I found this:

"Most states donít have a specific age for children to ride in the front seat of a vehicle, but many recommend for children to ride in the back seat as long as possible. Airbags are designed for the average adult male who weighs approximately 165 pounds. They canít provide adequate protection for children who are significantly smaller."

WTH? Many adults are lighter than 165.

New (old fart) college student. Working hard to be a Social Worker when I grow up.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 PM
I want a clown scooter and a candy dildo!

My Mood: Scurvy
QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaEileen View Post
I go by 5', 100 pounds. This is the rule we had to use when I worked in the group homes. When I worked in the elderly home, we had several really tiny adults and they used to get really ticked off because they couldn't sit in the front seat.

I was actually looking for this info the other day because Tabitha just turned 12. She and Victoria are both 4'10". Tabitha weighs a bit over 100 pounds. She is really muscular, especially in her butt and legs from roller derby. I know adult women who are Tabitha's size and sit in front, so it's a close call, I guess. When I was looking, I found this:

"Most states donít have a specific age for children to ride in the front seat of a vehicle, but many recommend for children to ride in the back seat as long as possible. Airbags are designed for the average adult male who weighs approximately 165 pounds. They canít provide adequate protection for children who are significantly smaller."

Wth? I know kids and adults have different bone structures but air bags are designed for an average 165lb person?!? That is ridiculous.

― Erin Hanson

Old 07-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Titless...That's something I haven't been since I was ten...

Sabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond reputeSabra has a reputation beyond repute

Texas doesn't have restrictions on who can sit in the front seat (I just checked to be sure). Heck, "all the seat belts were taken" is considered an affirmative defense to the law (see E-2 here). We have stupidly weak laws on the subject, at the state level anyway.

To answer the actual question, I was willing to do it with my 12-year-old because she's 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. I definitely wouldn't do it before the usual test to not be in a booster seat is passed. Safecar.gov says to turn off the air bag switch for people under 13, so take that into consideration. Here's a link (if you scroll down a bit) from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on keeping kids safe in the front seat; this recommends no one under 13: http://www.chop.edu/service/car-seat...s/airbags.html

Her heart is a river in my blood

Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM
I love penises and nothing but penises
AKA: T&E's Mama

Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabra View Post
Texas doesn't have restrictions on who can sit in the front seat (I just checked to be sure). Heck, "all the seat belts were taken" is considered an affirmative defense to the law (see E-2 here). We have stupidly weak laws on the subject, at the state level anyway.
I think where I got confused is on this link where, towards the bottom it says:

"Children are better protected the longer they can stay in each phase. Keep children in each seat up to the maximum age/weight/height limits before moving to the next phase. ALL children younger than age 13 years should ride properly restrained in the back seat."

It was my mistake for interpreting best practice as a law in this state.
what my heart sounds like from the inside.
Tommy (04/06) Emma (01/10) & Brenna (03/15)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Bellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond reputeBellamoon has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Ga and here its 12 and up can be in the front. So 100 pounds is the consensus?
~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaEileen View Post

I dont even weigh that, lol

Last edited by Bellamoon; 07-13-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Inactive Member

Location: I live in Southern Illinois which I feel should be considered a separate state from Northern Illinoi
My Mood: Amused
qsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond reputeqsefthuko has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamoon View Post
We are in Ga and here its 12 and up can be in the front. So 100 pounds is the consensus?
~~~~~~~

I dont even weigh that, lol
Better sit in the back seat.

The 5' 100lbs thing is funny. I have a sister who isn't 5' tall. Although I am pretty sure she weighs in at 100+lbs but not entirely sure on that. She is a kindy teacher.
~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle_Emme View Post
Car seat laws don't make sense. Honestly, they don't conform to recommendations and should be stricter.
~~~~~~~
Fwiw, seats are designed at 145cm for the belt, however most adults under 5'2 still have issues with the belt fitting properly.
I once got a ticket for wearing a lab belt but not the shoulder belt despite the belt crossing over my neck. I guess it is better to get a broken neck than to be without the belt.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 08-20-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Things just aren't equal enough when someone's got a penis.

My Mood: Doh
urchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond reputeurchin_grey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

I once got a ticket for wearing a lab belt but not the shoulder belt despite the belt crossing over my neck. I guess it is better to get a broken neck than to be without the belt.
Its actually more likely that you'd suffer a lower spinal injury and/or head injury wearing a lap belt only than a spinal injury from a shoulder belt.

But... there are products out there that can help position the shoulder belt properly.

Carly
coffee addict, vegan, youtube binger, LGBTQ advocate, CPST
mom to Bram [12]
wife to Duffy
Also, I sell leggings and stuff.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Its actually more likely that you'd suffer a lower spinal injury and/or head injury wearing a lap belt only than a spinal injury from a shoulder belt.

But... there are products out there that can help position the shoulder belt properly.
Do you have a link? I know i could use one!

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 08-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Where's that title fairy?

Dillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond reputeDillipop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Totally agree. In fact, the belt being too close to your neck is a comfort thing. Totally acceptable fit and much less likely to be injured with the belt close to your neck than with the belt behind you.

Here's a video of a kid with just a lap belt, which is the same as putting the seatbelt behind you.

http://youtu.be/NTvadCM6IKk
Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM
I could hold an entire Staples store under my boobs.

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

I think Carly's advice in your other thread about your oldest is good for this topic too. So I went ahead and copied her responses.

Quote:
Its generally best to aim for 4'9" (in fact, that is law in some states). That's just an average though and it depends on the vehicle too.

FWIW, the smallest "adult" crash test dummy that must pass in a vehicle without a booster is 5'2". Adults have mature bone structures though. A 12 year old does not.

Although, to be perfectly honest, if I were under 5" and 120lbs, I'd totally be using an Incognito myself. I like my internal organs. Bram will be using an Incognito (or similar) for the rest of his life because he'll never reach 5".
Quote:
12 year olds can still suffer from seat belt syndrome, especially ones under 4'9" with a poor fitting belt. A lap belt over the abdomen like that means a higher risk of internal and spinal injuries.
It was discussed in the other thread about adults and bone structure. So while many adults may be under 165 or under 5'2, their bone structure can handle a crash better than an adolescent.

My poor kid is going to be in the backseat for a very long time.
Twitter & Pinterest & Tumblr
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com
Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM

I was not trying to say I want to put him in the front seat when he hits 12. HE wants to be there cause his friends can... I just want to present him with numbers on WHEN its safe for him to be up front! =)

Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
I could hold an entire Staples store under my boobs.

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamoon View Post
I was not trying to say I want to put him in the front seat when he hits 12. HE wants to be there cause his friends can... I just want to present him with numbers on WHEN its safe for him to be up front! =)
I posted what Carly said because she gave you some good guidelines for height and weight for boosters. In my mind, if it's not safe for him to be without a booster of some sort, it's probably not safe to be in the front seat. (As a child. Obviously we're not talking about adults.)

Like the others said, I'd tell him 5'0 AND 100 lbs.
Twitter & Pinterest & Tumblr
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com