ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Regionally Speaking > USA > South East

Notices

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM
CoOp Hostess
I don't even have the "I need a title" title

My Mood: Torn
Julie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of moving to Tampa area...any florida teachers here?

I kinda wanted to post this in a more secure forum, but I got lurkered and haven't been let back into those groups yet...

So we currently live in northern michigan, near DH's family. We're not happy. We have friends here, who we have made family to replace DH's family, but they're slowly leaving one by one. A couple that both DH and I are close with (the only couple that we're both friends with both husband and wife) are moving to the Tampa area and we initially joked about moving with them. The jokes got more and more serious...and now we're actually considering it.

DH and I are both teachers, I've always heard that it is rough for florida teachers...is this true? Little pay/benefits? weak union? etc?

What's the tampa area like? Could we afford to live there on teacher's salaries? Would it be hard to get jobs?

I have to work two more years where I am to get a chunk of my student loans forgiven (I work in a title I school and if I work in the same building for 5 years, they will forgive $17.5K of my $66K in loans, but the years have to be consecutive). So we've not jumping and leaving now...

We've tossed around a couple of ideas...

waiting 2 years and going

waiting a year and DH going while I stay back with the kids and finish that last year I need to get the loan forgiveness, then join DH when the school year is done (so like 9 months apart)

...or not go at all...

thoughts?

My family is near Detroit, I'm 4 hours from them now. I'm not close with my dad and his wife. My mom died 12 years ago. It would be hard not being near my sisters and their kids...

Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Get your vulva out of my way!

My Mood: Spaced
randareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond repute

I have two friends that work in Florida as teachers. They've lived there about four years. I could copy your questions if you would like and message her
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 PM
CoOp Hostess

Julie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond reputeJulie K has a reputation beyond repute

I would love that, thank you!

Old 07-08-2015, 12:11 PM

randareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond repute

Ok ill message her to see if she's willing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Ok ill message her to see if she's willing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
I could hold an entire Staples store under my boobs.

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple friends who are teachers here as well. I know they both are pretty disgruntled with teaching in our county (not the same county as Tampa). I can pass on your questions to them as well.
Twitter & Pinterest & Tumblr
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com
Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 PM

She lives 3 hrs south of Tampa but said she will do her best
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

Okay they responded.

(We are about an hour and half NE of Tampa.)

Friend S said "Tampa is Manatee county, she should be able to look up salary schedules online. I would look but my phone is dying. When they look they need to keep in mind that we don't pay state taxes here. I don't know anyone who works down there so I don't know how competitive it is. This is a tough time to be a teacher everywhere. I have friends in NY who think I'm crazy for working down here because there seems to be so much unnecessary drama. Let your friend know that she is more than welcome to message me with any other questions."

Friend M said "Tampa is a different county so I'm not sure the conditions. I had taught in 2 different counties in Florida and both were very different. The pay varies from county to county. They can visit the county website and it will lay their salaries. Depending on where they are coming from, what state, it can totally different. I'm originally from Jersey, schools are Divided by cities but Florida it's by counties. The school board can be huge, like Marion with over 45,000 students with over 40 schools with over 5,000 employees. Again, I can only give information about Marion county. Our pay is less than up north BUT the cost of living is cheaper. So, it even itself out.
On my salary and my husband's salary (who makes slightly less) we are moving comfortable. I believe Tampa pays about the same as Ocala but Ocala is cheaper to live in. I have no issues with my union. Getting a job depends on your qualifications. Benefits are okay. But health insurance and benefits varies from county to county again."

For comparison, her husband is a manager at a new quick service restaurant in town.
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com
Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 AM
I hit the crystal factory

My Mood: Busy
kwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond reputekwootten2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tampa is Hillsborough county, not Manatee. Look at Pinellas county, too.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM

Manatee and Hillsborough are right next to each other. She just got them mixed up.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
CoOp Hostess

I was trying to look up their salary scales and they are laid out very differently than the ones here in MI lol I did look up both Hillsborough and Pinnellas and I can't remember which one, but I could not make heads or tails of it :/

The districting by county is a very different concept - overwhelming. We do by cities here. They can be big or small.

Tell your friends thank you, Crystal. Every bit of info helps, even if they are not in the same area!

Michigan used to be a great state for teachers in general....but its crumbling. I'm not sure there are any states that are great for teachers any more :/