ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Homesteading

Notices

Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM
CoOp Hostess
I woke up without my underpants once

My Mood: Balanced
yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Honest opinion on raising a goat and a pig

If I thought about that how much work would it be? How expensive?
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

Pigs and goats are very social. You really shouldn't have just one, IMO.
Expense depends on a lot of things.
What are your goals? Organic meat? Pasture raised? Just meat you raise at home fed conventionally?
Housing and fencing are huge for both pigs and goats, notorious escape artists. I wanted to pasture raise our pigs this year using mesh electric fence netting. They are currently in the chain link dog kennel because they escaped 4 times in one day.
The electric netting works great for the goats once they are used to it. It is considered a temporary fence and there is no buiding a fenceline. It can be taken down and stored when not in use. You shouldn't use stranded electric fence wire for goats, unless you run 6-8 strands.
We have pens in the barn, a barnyard that is board fence with wire attached on the inside and then the electric netting for the goats. Our mature buck is in another chain link kennel when he is not on pasture. Prior to moving and having a barn, wehad two goats that I kept in the electric netting. So long as the fence was turned on, they never got out.
We also kept 6 pigs in electric netting before and they only escaped 3 times in 8 months. I don't know what the deal is with these pigs, lol.

sorry, I know that was jumbled.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:07 PM

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

As far as work, it takes me (bare minimum) 20-25 min to give water, grain and hay to 7 rabbit cages, 3 goat pens (with 9 goats), 1 pig pen and 1 chicken/duck pen. That is bare minimum and does not include milking time. When I milk and actually pay attention to the animals, saying hi and looking them over, it's 45-60min. Add in cleaning cages and pen and it is another 45min. I prefer to take my time, but I can get it done in a hurry if I have to.
The cows don't really count because they are mostly on pasture right now and when they are not, we use the tractor to feed a round bale every 5-6 days. They have an automatic waterer hooked up to the hose.
Time wise, you are going to spend more time obtaining feed, building/maintaining housing and fencing and cleaning than regular chores.
With goats, if they are going to be kept as milkers, they should be dewormed fairly regularly and have their hooves trimmed every 4-6 weeks.
I was going to type something else, but I forgot!
Oh and I use calf hutches when I can for housing. Super convenient for goats and pigs but not a cheap option. Otherwise, we have been building pallet houses.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM
CoOp Hostess

yellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond reputeyellowitchgrl has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking more as pets but you totally answered my questions. I think, if we do this, we'll wait several years
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan (7/03), Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (4/6/04) and Luke (12/14/07), James (2/19/13). My babies who passed before birth : Zach(7-19-09), Toby (12-09-09) and Simon (6-9-11) WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy 10% off with the code: CDN10 Find me on Facebook
Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM

I don't think I'd keep a pig as a pet, but that's just me. They can be stinky and sometimes when they mature, they get ornery. You definitely would want to stick with the pot bellied pigs pet wise. Anything else would get too big or not be friendly enough.
I would completely stay away from tea cup pigs. They are usually in-bred, over hyped and have a host of health issues (like tea cup dogs).
I would have goats as pets though, they don't stink as bad as pigs. Nigerian Dwarf Goats are little and have awesome personalities. I had one that was house broken . They are also a dairy breed, so you could have a double purpose there.
I think you should scope out craigslist or similar and find out what is available near you, breed wise. That could help figure out what you want.
Definitely make sure you are well set up before adding anything. Glad I could help and sorry I was all over the place!

Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 PM
CoOp Hostess

I totally followed along It's what I needed to hear.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:39 AM
will be running off with your cooter.
AKA: yeswehave7

My Mood: Question
yeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond repute

I am listening, cause DH talked about getting a goat for milk once we get our fence. We are on just an acre here. We would have a goat and 10 chickens. Is that enough space? How often do they need to be bred to make milk? Can they eat just backyard stuff?
Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Yes that is enough space. I would recommend getting two (still enough space).
You would probably have to supplement a dairy goat in order to keep them at a proper weight and keep their milk production up.
Dairy goats have a gestation of 5 months, roughly. Commericial breeders will breed once a year, milk for 10 months and then dry them off for two months before they kid again. If the goat is only for you, you need not breed again until the milk supply is starting to go down. That being said, some breeds do better with a longer lactation than others.
~~~~~~~
Again, I'd recommend the Nigerian Dwarf Goats. They will make less milk, but it is creamier and they eat less. You could have two, breed them at the same time and probably have very little extra depending on how many in your family drink milk. The chickens and dogs (if you have any) also appreciate the leftover milk.
~~~~~~~
Now that I've recommended NGDs twice, I feel like I should say that I don't raise them. I had one as a pet years ago that was awesome.
I currently raise Oberhaslis and Alpines. I wouldn't recommend Alpines for beginners, they are trouble makers. The Oberhaslis are so sweet, but they are bigger. Still not as a big as some other breeds, but might be too big to handle on your own if you ever need to medicate or anything. They also can have kidding problems. I haven't heard of too many kidding problems in NGDs as long as they are bred to NGDs and not a larger breed.

Last edited by CaerRuthryis; 08-10-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
will be running off with your cooter.
AKA: yeswehave7

My Mood: Question
yeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Are they noisy? We would have to have the fence up first, but my hubby was looking at some babies last night that were so cute... the fainting kind is what he said. Itty bitty things.