ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Homesteading

Notices

Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 PM
I want a clown scooter and a candy dildo!

My Mood: Scurvy
QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute
Default **QUICK** Chicken help

We live in front of Perdue owned Chicken houses. They put the new babies in there over the weekend or beginning of the week, DH said. Well apparently one escaped bc CJ just walked in holding one that he found in our front yard. I'm pretty impressed it managed to escape and make it's way all the way to our front yard without a cat getting it. So he's named it and I don't want it to die What do I need to do with it? It's in a box in our house right now. I know I need chicken feed and a waterer. We had chickens for 4H when I lived at home but that was years ago and I don't remember anything about caring for them.

Help me LOL Should I just find someone else who already has chickens and give it to them?

― Erin Hanson

Old 03-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Get your vulva out of my way!

My Mood: Spaced
randareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond repute

Why not walk it back to where it came from? It is Purdues.
Posted via Mobile Device
~~~~~~~
It's a meat chicken? I get you don't want it to die. I do. I'm just on the it should be retuned to the owner camp
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by randareena; 03-11-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-11-2015, 10:42 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

So since they raise birds for meat, it is almost certainly bird bred for that. They are bred specifically for rapid growth, large breast size, and tend to have leg and heart problems once they get full sized. It is unlikely to be a happy or healthy pet chicken once it is grown.

Could you post a picture? I'd be better able to tell you what you need for it if I could get an estimate of it's age.

If you return it to Purdue, they will kill it. It's been outside, so, for bio-security reasons, they cannot put it back in with the other birds. It could bring a wild bird disease back with it and infect hundreds of thousands of the other chicks.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a meat chicken, it is not going to make a good pet. They are bred to put on a large amount of weight in a short time and it does a number on their bodies. They can break legs and many of them just stop moving.
I'd maybe call them, but i can't imagine they're going to put it back in the coop between biosecurity issues and lack of concern for the animals
~~~~~~~
Or I could have refreshed and said to Andrea

Last edited by CaerRuthryis; 03-11-2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-11-2015, 11:21 PM

QueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond reputeQueenRainbow has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way to return it unless I break into the chicken houses. I've lived around these houses my entire life and I can tell you if I call them they either will 1) not come get it or 2) get it and kill it. They don't care about those chickens. They barely care for the houses.

What do I need to do with it? I'm not going to TSC to spend a ton of money if it's not going to make it. Give me a minute to upload the pic I took
~~~~~~~
If I put it back outside it's going to get eaten or ran over. I am being cautious about letting the kids touch it right now too. IDK it's so sad
~~~~~~~

― Erin Hanson

Last edited by QueenRainbow; 03-11-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 03-11-2015, 11:39 PM

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not willing to spend a bunch of money, do any of your friends raise chickens for meat?
Yes, they will likely kill it. No way around that.
It looks like a meat cross to me and will not make a pet chicken.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM

We'll figure something out when DH gets home. More than likely we'll find someone that will take it. I want chickens eventually but I want a nice coop and several hens for eggs. lol Not one lone pet chicken.

I just panicked when he walked in from playing outside holding a chick and freaked out a little bit like How the heck do I care for this thing?!

― Erin Hanson

Old 03-11-2015, 11:59 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

For now, just keep it warm. If you have a heating pad or something that you can put in part of the box it is in, that's probably your best bet (since I don't suppose you have a heat lamp). Give it a space to get warm, and room to get away from the heat, and watch to make sure it's not overheating - watch for crowding into the corner farthest from the warmth. And give it water in a shallow bowl.

Chicks don't do well as singles. I would try to find someone who can take it. Plenty of people are getting chicks at this time of year, so if you ask around you can probably find someone.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 AM
used to put it all the way in

My Mood: Worried
melirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond reputemelirod has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about chickens, but I wouldn't have been able to leave it outside either. Poor little thing.

Mama to (23), (16), (13), (11 & 9)

Goodreads
Pinterest
Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM
marinating my nose in poop smell
AKA: kelolsen

My Mood: Cheerful
Shopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond reputeShopaholic has a reputation beyond repute

that's a good idea. If you know someone who keeps meat chickens they might take it.
Kelly, part time WOH Mom (I'm a preschool librarian and music teacher!), thrift store obsessed, accessory collector, coffee addicted wife to my navy man, Scott, and mom to my 2 boys, Ethan (9) and Lucas (7), and stepmom to Isabella (19).
Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 PM
I want my cooter bedazzled.
AKA: ClothDiaperMePlease

My Mood: Breezy
Elle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond repute

Without investing a lot... Heat lamp, used pack n play, deer netting for the top, pine chips, water, food.

I couldn't have left it out either.

Eventually you will have to figure out a shelter outside, but you have a few weeks.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 PM
my nipples grew

My Mood: Thinking
raindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond repute

Aww. Poor little thing.
Fiancée to Jason
Old 03-13-2015, 12:23 AM

It worked out where we were able to find it a home thanks to the quick thinking of some friends who knew a family that just bought chicks home.

― Erin Hanson

Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 AM

Awesome!
They do know that it's not going to have any kind of quality of life, right?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:25 AM
I heard this place rocks!

danielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond reputedanielle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenRainbow View Post
It worked out where we were able to find it a home thanks to the quick thinking of some friends who knew a family that just bought chicks home.
I hope these kind people realize that this bird isn't going to be like layers. They were bred to be products, and the instructions these products come with don't include a long, happy life.