ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Homesteading

Notices

Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yay! Goats!

We are buying a couple Alpine kids next month! I am super excited!
I am also buying an Oberhasli buck to breed my Obie girls
Aaaaand . . . one of my goats is due next month as well!

We are focusing on goats right now. The laws are much easier surrounding goats milk than cows milk. I also lost my beautiful Guernsey heifer last month. She died in a freak accident. I am not ready to replace her and I want to be picky with what I buy next. My Guernsey mama isn't bred yet anyway, so there is no milk to be had right now. I am not going to breed her until she puts some weight on and I don't want a winter calf. So she will not be in milk for a year or so. With what happened with my heifer, it hit me that I need DH's help with the cows. They are too big for me to handle on my own. On the other hand, I can do anything I need to by myself with the goats.
So, goats it is right now!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
my nipples grew

My Mood: Thinking
raindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond reputeraindrop_333 has a reputation beyond repute

Exciting! Sorry you lost your Guernsey heifer
Fiancée to Jason
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm sorry about the heifer! She was so pretty!!
I am on the fence about goats. There are so many more babies for the same amount of milk!

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 AM

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop_333 View Post
Exciting! Sorry you lost your Guernsey heifer
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp View Post
Oh, I'm sorry about the heifer! She was so pretty!!
I am on the fence about goats. There are so many more babies for the same amount of milk!
She was my favorite cow, pretty much ever. I am still convinced that she had some brain damage from her birth. She was the sweetest, funniest little calf even if she was a bit slow. She loved to be petted and snuggled. I am still so heartbroken that I wasn't able to save her.

I love the two goats I have. I didn't think I'd find something that could compete with cows for me, but goats are close!
Goats consume less feed and need less space, but most dairy breeds are seasonal breeders and some have a hard time milking through. I've known cows to milk for 2-3 years before they need to be bred back, but that's not nearly as common as goats. The disadvantage of course, is less milk in general. But you can do what I'm doing and solve that by buying more goats!

I originally was going to buy two doelings, but after talking it over with DH, we are going to buy 4 doelings and a buckling. I'll be all set to breed and start the Alpine herd, without needing to buy anything else. Between that and the Obie buck, I'll be off to an excellent start! We're going to go from two goats to 8 by April, not including the kid/kids from my bred doe.
I'm already planning on building a pen in the basement for all of the bottle babies. They need to be feed like newborn humans at first. I'd rather them be in the house than half to get up and go out to the barn in the middle of the night. Plus it will be much warmer in the basement for them. After bear activity calms down, we'll move them out to the barn. They'll be almost ready to wean by then too.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Baby goats are just about the cutest things in the world. Will you eat the wethers that you don't sell for pets/weed control? That's where I get hung up with goats. We don't eat meat, so we don't have anything to do with extra males. My plan with cows was always to AI with spun semen, to nearly guarantee female babies. And you can't do that with goats - no one AIs goats!

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 PM

AI with goats is becoming way more popular, but not too many do it. It's easier to have a few bucks than it is to have bulls. The sexed semen is less fertile though. A friend of mine who is a breeder recommends sexed semen for heifers and young cows only because their fertility is higher.
We will probably eat them. I am hoping we will have good enough genetics to sell a few as breeding bucks. I want to have some pack goats also and wethers are great for that.