ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > School Daze > Middle School (aka The Awkward Times)

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 AM
happy to see a real toilet

Lily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would be your first thought?

If you received this email from one of your child's teachers?

Dear Parents,

I wanted to alert you to the fact that I emailed progress reports out this afternoon. I am concerned with a pattern non-completion of homework by 6th grade students so far this quarter and the number of students who are currently failing. Please take a look at the progress report I sent out and determine if your child is meeting their homework obligations and working to the best of their ability. We have time in which students can work to change their current grade through the completion of future assignments, tests, and Science Investigation Project due dates. However, if the trend continues it will become harder for them to overcome the zeroes. I have instituted working lunch for students with zeroes and incomplete assignments in my classroom. Today I had 40+ students in my working lunch session. My hope is that very quickly students will get the message that homework needs to be completed on the date assigned and turned in on time.

I apologize for the mass email regarding this homework issue; however, with so many students not completing their work this seemed the most efficient use of email. If your student is meeting their obligations please give them a pat on the back and thank them. I have met with those students individually to congratulate them on their efforts as well.

------------------
I'm just curious. Bear in mind that the 40+ students refers to over a third (close to half) of the entire class.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

My blog: Wanderings of a simple mind
Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 AM
like a beverly hillbilly or something.

batmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond reputebatmansmom has a reputation beyond repute

i'd kinda wonder how the teachers had allowed this to become such a widespread problem

Created by MyFitnessPal.com -
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Lily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmansmom View Post
i'd kinda wonder how the teachers had allowed this to become such a widespread problem
I'm pretty aware of how it got to this point.

1. Teacher misses lots of the first semester because first his wife is pregnant and then because they have a new baby. (and trust me, telling a bunch of military families that you can't do your job was met with disdain and a feeling of being slapped in the face by quite a few of us)

2. Teacher crams 12 assignments into one week because he's playing catch-up, and assigns them during the time where they're working on a big independent project.

3. Teacher can't get his act together and put information out there for the parents until AFTER a good portion of the grade is failing his class. We don't know what is due or when except for what he puts on his website, and that hadn't been updated in 2.5 months. All the other teachers are quite good about it and do their best to keep parents informed of what is being taught and when, so we can help at home.

This teacher has been getting on my nerves ever since The Kid started school. He was the "super great science teacher" that the school and everyone talked up but turned out to be a royal dud. The assignments are childish and rote, requiring no critical thinking. This experiment The Kid is working on for his independent study has been the only grade level thing this year, and it sucks because the presentation counts for twice as much as the learning. The excel documents have to be exactly a certain way or they don't get credit. I'm all for teaching how to follow directions, but I'm also for learning the subject he's supposed to be focusing on.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you so, so much for the amazing balls!

My Mood: Tired
amym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond reputeamym107 has a reputation beyond repute

wow, see, my problem would be with the teacher not the children. While I agree that the kids need to be responsible for doing their work, you have to realize that you are dealing with 6th graders, not high schoolers. There should be no reason why that many of your students are failing; that shows a failing of the teacher. Is the administration involved yet?

I'm an independent consultant with Perfectly Posh, a natural based skin care and beauty line.
www.facebook.com/PoshAmyM

And Baby "Jupiter" who left us too early on 1/2/12
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
is like a Hallmark card, when you care
enough to send the very best.
AKA: shelbell

My Mood: In Love
the.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond reputethe.real.babycakes has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a teacher problem too. If half the class is failing it's time to make a change in how the class is taught. Have the parents talked about this and met with this teacher?

Chickens in our suburban micro farm:
Pox, Cheep Cheep, Pearl, Chanel, Princess Sofia, Princess Diane, Cloudy, Captain Glumi Blue, Stacylicious, Steak N Shake and Wanda

Our dogs: Luc, Dash, Sin and Apollo

Our cat: Sassy

Our parrotlet: Cookie

Our snakes: Streak, yellow rat snake and Baby Bertha, ball python

Our beardies: Leo and Fred

Our leopard gecko: Dottie

Our fat tailed gecko: Lizzy

Our crested gecko: Boris

Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

The teacher seems to avoid parents. He missed parent/teacher conferences and scheduled a day where we could drop in. So I did. And told him I was there for a conference. And his response?

Well, what do you want to discuss?

Um, MY KID????

And then he was unprepared and couldn't tell me hardly a thing.

I finally formulated a not-too-bitchy response. I hope. I haven't sent it yet just in case it is too much.

Dear teacher,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Additionally, your email highlighted some other concerns that I find more disturbing. It is worrisome to see that a full third of the sixth grade student body is having problems in your class, and that the steps taken are to keep them from a break to work on assignments that no longer count. Studies have shown that using preventive techniques are often more beneficial than resorting to punitive measures. I know I find it helpful when I can see an agenda or homework list on a teacher's website. It keeps the families connected to the school and helps our children understand the symbolical "village" that it takes to raise them. It is difficult for us to stay connected when we receive little information for 2+ months and cannot assist our child develop the skills they are only starting to perfect: organization, preparation, and good study habits. Additionally, I've yet to see any improvement in those skills when necessary breaks are removed from the learning process. Taking away lunch/recess has been shown to increase poor work and behavior, not decrease it.

Thank you for taking the time to update us parents and keep us in the loop. Hopefully we will be able to help our child stay on track better in the future.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Inactive Member

ceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond reputeceilismom has a reputation beyond repute

I think your note sounds just fine. I might add a request to meet with the teacher to discuss this further.
Is it Necessary?
Is it Kind?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Inactive Member

awm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond reputeawm has a reputation beyond repute

Did this teacher send out other students grades to people who weren't the parents?
Can he really make them work through lunch?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm View Post
Did this teacher send out other students grades to people who weren't the parents?
Can he really make them work through lunch?
He sort of did. I know where others stand because I checked on my kid's and he missed two assignments (had them done, but not in his book. Issue we're working on). He currently has an F because of that. Everything else he has full credit for. And they're not two major assignments but the weekly worksheet crap the teacher sends home.

And according to school policy, yep! He can make them sit there all lunch. But the best part is they get to sit and work on the missed assignments which are then not graded or given credit for. So it's missing a break just for the sake of punishing them. There's no merit in it.

We have a non-punitive household so this teacher really rubs me the wrong way. The rest of his teachers are enthusiastic, caring, approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to look for ANY solution if it helps a student succeed. I adore them. (the curriculum, not so much, but I like the teachers) This guy is my way-or highway and gives the impression of just waiting for the school year to end.

The Kid is carrying As and Bs in every other class. Dh and I were annoyed about the F, but looking at everything together the picture doesn't add up.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I could hold an entire Staples store under my boobs.

romanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond reputeromanlili has a reputation beyond repute

If the kids are not going to credit credit for the late work, he can't make them do it. Can he?
Twitter & Pinterest & Tumblr
Love beautiful nails but hate salon prices? Try Jamberry Nail Wraps! Contact me for a sample! http://clwilkinson.jamberry.com
Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I have a big ole package

My Mood: Procrastinating
Tamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond repute

This would absolutely rub me the wrong way. I think at this point I would be requesting a sit-down with the teacher AND the principal or administration of the school. There is no way that 1/3 of the whole 6th grade should be failing in ONE class. That is not a problem with the students.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Cheerful
johnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to beholdjohnsbabymama is a splendid one to behold

I completely agree with ABOVE POST, it is clearly the teacher here, not the students with the problem. I would deff consider talking to the principal about this LAZY teacher who doesn't update the website like he is suppose too. I think your being nice in the email you plan on sending to him. I would be a bit more harsh telling him, it's his fault pretty much the whole class is failing.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Happy
butrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond reputebutrcup74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily_Grace View Post
He sort of did. I know where others stand because I checked on my kid's and he missed two assignments (had them done, but not in his book. Issue we're working on). He currently has an F because of that. Everything else he has full credit for. And they're not two major assignments but the weekly worksheet crap the teacher sends home.

And according to school policy, yep! He can make them sit there all lunch. But the best part is they get to sit and work on the missed assignments which are then not graded or given credit for. So it's missing a break just for the sake of punishing them. There's no merit in it.

We have a non-punitive household so this teacher really rubs me the wrong way. The rest of his teachers are enthusiastic, caring, approachable, knowledgeable, and willing to look for ANY solution if it helps a student succeed. I adore them. (the curriculum, not so much, but I like the teachers) This guy is my way-or highway and gives the impression of just waiting for the school year to end.

The Kid is carrying As and Bs in every other class. Dh and I were annoyed about the F, but looking at everything together the picture doesn't add up.
First, I'm all about accountability; however, I'll be damned if I let the school punish my child in a way that I don't agree with or for a reason that I don't agree with.

Secondly, am I missing something. Your child missing two homework assignments and now has an F...how does that make sense?

"There's no reason for you to worry so much. Everything will work out the way it's supposed to."
audreyii-fic
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I have a blue nipple
AKA: Nikkis_little_ladies

Picklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond reputePicklesnapper has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read the other responses. But this teachers email is totally innaporpriate. HELLO, you don't send a MASS email that does not include ALL the students. What a moron. I would be pissed! And who in the heck emails progress reports? I'd be livid.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Bored
ZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond reputeZadaLove has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at this the same way as the majority on here. If that many students are failing then the teacher may need to take a better look at what HE can do to help this, and where he may have gone/be going wrong.

SAHM to 4 gorgeous kiddos. Zack (9), A.J. (6), Dean (3) and my Princess Alexa (1)

I have 3 fur babies Hannah (Dog), Duke (Dog) & Willow (Cat)

I'm also a Hazelaid affiliate: go to Hazelaid.com and enter code 10kqqlss at checkout to get 10% off your order!

IT WORKS INDEPENDENT DISTRIBUTOR!