ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > School Daze > Middle School (aka The Awkward Times)

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't look good in underwear

My Mood: Breezy
zblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond reputezblueyez has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lazy 6th grader

How do you handle a lazy 6th grader? She is almost proud of being lazy which drives me nuts, but being lazy with school really makes me irritated. I told her she needs to learn the correct spelling for "which" vs "witch". She said, "I don't care." I tell her correct grammar with things like "by accident" not "on accident" and "my friend and I" not "me and my friend". She just doesn't care and is going to sound ignorant when she is out in the world. What do I do?
Melaina (2/00)
, Angel Morgan (01-04), Avery (8/05),
Gavin (9/07), Corbin (11/10) and Preston (4/12)
Facebook

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
i am 30 as well and my hole part is growing

My Mood: Balanced
monicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond reputemonicadd has a reputation beyond repute

make her write it front and back of a page. Till she has no other choice but to remember it. Sounds harsh, but its what i do. I dont really have "lazy" learners. But constant mistakes that i know they shouldnt be making i make them write them till they are so sick of it , they have no choice but to remember it.

http://monicaddisme.wordpress.com/
Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 PM
happy to see a real toilet

Lily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeLily_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Attack from the side.

My son's 6th grade language arts teacher told me that the level he spelled at was about where he'd be for the rest of his life. I started him learning English with Word Roots (Critical Thinking Co.) and playing with words. I got him into a writing class where he had to bounce ideas off a group and work on creative writing skills. He started doing copywork again.

Within a year his spelling and writing skills are a hundred times better than they were last summer. Not perfect, but we're getting a lot closer. I make him tell me the rule he's using when he's doing an exercise: "to make the plural of a word ending in 'ch', add 'es'."
He has at least 5 more years of school. That's 5 years with a lot of growth potential and I'm not nearly as worried as I was last year.
BS 3 - 32% saved!

My blog: Wanderings of a simple mind
Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblueyez View Post
How do you handle a lazy 6th grader? She is almost proud of being lazy which drives me nuts, but being lazy with school really makes me irritated. I told her she needs to learn the correct spelling for "which" vs "witch". She said, "I don't care." I tell her correct grammar with things like "by accident" not "on accident" and "my friend and I" not "me and my friend". She just doesn't care and is going to sound ignorant when she is out in the world. What do I do?
I'd guess, just based on her age, that she's adopting the lazy attitude because she knows that it's going to drive you nuts. So...first, I'd try to work on my reactions. Don't let her notice that it's driving you bonkers.

I'd just correct her, every time, and reiterate the rule when you do. Especially for things like "by accident" or "my friend and I", those should come up in spoken grammer often, so you can reinforce there. "Which" vs "witch" - honestly, she probably knows if she thinks about it. But you could joke about it when you see it written incorrectly. She might respond better to humor than lessons...and that's a silly mistake that can lead to some jokes. She will get it.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson