ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > School Daze > Middle School (aka The Awkward Times)

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM
I have a big ole package

My Mood: Procrastinating
Tamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond reputeTamatha278 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for TEACHERS...

What are your classroom management procedures? I'm working on putting this together for my classroom, and I'd love some input from seasoned teachers!!!

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 PM
There I was. As a result
for a image search for 32h.

My Mood: Torn
Katherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond reputeKatherine has a reputation beyond repute

humor, lots of humor, and more humor.

really, that's how I manage about everything in the class that needs managed. If a kid is acting out, I call them on it in a kidding kind of way, and give them a graceful opportunity to correct themselves. like, say a kid is texting instead of working. I'll come up and be all, wow! you're done with your project already? oh, no? ok, you need to put that away, then. sometimes a quick motion from across the room to put it away or stop talking or get back to work or sit down is all that's needed. I try to make the smallest intervention possible - the smallest correction that will work. that helps them save face and keeps negative attention seeking to a minimum.

if/when humor doesn't work, I'll call the kid out into the hallway where I have learned it is best to be very blunt. "You are doing this ______________". "It cannot continue because ______________" sometimes I will phrase it as " this is what I am seeing ___________" and then ask them how they're seeing it. anyway, the conversation ends with me saying they can come back in the room and follow the rules or they can go on to the bench. the bench is for behavioral issues, kids get talked to by the dean of students, usually get a couple of detentions.

If a kid is in the room and repeatedly having issues and the above talk hasn't worked, I will give one final warning and then issue a detention...not nec. that day. if it ever happens again. I don't play with that crap. kids try to see how much they can get away with and the answer is not much.

I run a very relaxed room - high school art - and we usually always get along very well. I try to explain the whys and hows of things, why we're doing what we're doing, how it will help in the project or what our purpose is. usually they don't argue assignments when you have given clear, logical reasons why the assignment is important.

as far as bathroom/leaving the room/etc, I give three passes a quarter. kids can ask anytime other than at the begining of class to go, and if they give me a ticket, they can. if they have passes left at the end of the quarter, they go in a drawing for a git cert to chipotle. I HATE policing potty time. I used to let them go whenever, figuring if it wasn't a big deal, they'd just go when needed and we'd all be happy. nope, turns out they would target my class as the period they could get out and arrange to meet up with friends/plan their social life during it. so now the passes are in place and they work perfectly. kids ask absent-mindedly to go all the time, and once I ask for a pass, 90% of the time they miraculously don't need to go anymore. IF a kid has a medical issue where they need to go to the bathroom or get food or medicine more frequently that the passes would allow, I def. accommodate that. and it doesn't need to be an iep or dr's note, a parent email is fine for me to let that happen.

late work - I accept it up until grades are due to the school, as long as the kid doesn't goof off in class, b/c, as I tell the kids, I'd much rather they take their time and make something awesome than hurry to finish and turn in something they don't like. and even when the grades are due to the school, I'll still give an incomplete before I let a kid turn in something below what they can do.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Get your vulva out of my way!

My Mood: Spaced
randareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond reputerandareena has a reputation beyond repute

Logical and natural consequences. If johnny writes on his desk he is going to clean it up. I'm not going to have him write, "i will not....." 50 times. I also DISCUSS with the student privately what happened and what he or she could have done differently. I hate, hate the color wheel.
Posted via Mobile Device
~~~~~~~
Late work/missing work , they get a blue slip and 10% docked. 3 a quarter is a detention. This is a school policy
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by randareena; 09-01-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 AM
I didn't know about ~FARK~ing until this week
Maybe I should be change my name to clueless!

My Mood: Dreaming
debmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond reputedebmom has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Harry Wong's book

I use CHAMPS, by Dr. Randy SPrick. It would be perfect for middle schoolers.

I've used it for about 5 years. Students have a procedure for everything.

C-conversation
H-help
A-activity
M-movement
P-participation
s (if they do the C,H,A,M,P they will be CHAMPS)

For example: sitting on the carpet listening to the story is different than group/partner work. We go over it every.day! If you want more info, PM me.

Let me know if you want more info. I
Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Inactive Member

My Mood: Angelic
Jannachia is an unknown quantity at this point

My sons school uses the CHAMPS. He's in eighth. The kids think it is a joke, the teachers love it....I'm a very pro teacher kind of parent. But then again I have well behaved kids. This is an interesting thread.