ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Health and Wellness

Notices

Old 03-14-2016, 04:17 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

My Mood: Happy
Katiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog Bites

Hi all... I need some advice.

On Saturday, our dog attacked another dog. Mike jumped in with his hands to pry Apex's mouth open so she couldn't injure the other dog*. By doing that, Mike received several bites on his hands from both Apex and the other dog. He did not want to go to the doctor, as we had a very very bad day**, and we didn't want to be stuck in the emergency room if we heard from the dog owner that they were at the vet.

Anyway, Mike's hands hurt a lot. There is certainly some bruising, and a few cuts. He feels that he might be working on an infection (there was a fair amount of mud wrestling the dogs apart), but wants to try any at-home treatments before seeking medical help. He's allergic to penicillin in the death kind of way, so anytime he takes antibiotics, it's really hard on his system***.

So... Any advice on what kinds of things could help? I was thinking a very, very hot soak in salt, followed by a very very cold soak to help with swelling? Anything else? I've used tea tree oil before to stave off a sinus infection, but am not sure if that would work in this situation...

*other than one or two punctures, the other dog is ok - we called to make sure, and are more than willing to pay for any vet bills the owner has. They know this and have our information. The owner says "~POOP~ happens", and he's not worried about it. Thank god, because we were absolutely sick about what happened.

**We managed to get our flat deck trailer stuck in a mud bog, as we were preparing for a rallycross event that we run every weekend. We didn't realize until after we were stuck that the ground was pretty much quicksand. Our dog broke out of our truck canopy to chase down the dog of the caretaker that showed up to see what we were doing... And this all happened on my birthday. I should have stayed in bed!

***He will take antibiotics, and won't wait until he's really sick, but it's not our first choice.

PS - For those of you concerned, we are purchasing a muzzle for the dog. We haven't had her very long, and believed that we were alone on the property, otherwise she would have been more secure in the truck. We didn't think she'd break the canopy open to get out. We don't believe that she is beyond help, and won't terminate her life over this incident, as we haven't had a long time to attempt to rehabilitate her. We believe that she can still have a good life, but we know that we need to take the responsibility to ensure that she does not have the opportunity to injure another dog, including wearing a muzzle while we're out. She's been a good dog to every dog we've introduced her to, but this was just a wild situation. She is never unattended with the kids, is never out of our sight (she pees in the house when unattended, so she is ALWAYS with us so she doesn't pee). I am not worried, at all, about the girls. They prefer to snuggle with The Dude, anyway. Apex is very, very much Mike's dog.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 PM
makes me think Vagazzel! in the Shamwow guy voice
AKA: Rannensmom

My Mood: Sad
BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Wound care at home can be tricky, but in my experience they're more likely to try an antibiotic cream before oral antibiotics as long as it's still pretty early on.

As far as the dog goes, dog aggression doesn't mean human aggression, and few people will tell you to euthanize on a first fight offense. Find a good behaviorist and invest in a fight kit in case you need to separate her in a fight in the future.

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 PM
I should tell DH I want 5 guys in my mouth
AKA: CowgirlMomma

CaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond reputeCaerRuthryis has a reputation beyond repute

I think soaking it is a good start. I'd also consider boosting his immune system with some supplements, make sure he is eating well, that sort of thing.
No advice on herbs or oils, though. Maybe some googling?
As for the rest of it, I just want to say that sometimes ~POOP~ does happen and you had no way of knowing that it would go down like that. Don't be too hard on yourself. Now that it did happen, you are taking proper precautions and will be vigilant. That's all you can do.
I'm glad everyone is okay, relatively speaking of course.
My DH's aunt tried to split up two fighting dogs and needed a few surgeries on her hand after!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM

BeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond reputeBeautifulChaos has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you've had her for awhile and this is new behavior-ask your vet to run a thyroid panel. New aggression can be a sign of a thyroid problem

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 03-14-2016, 04:27 PM
I smell a batch of fart

My Mood: Blah
otis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond reputeotis has a reputation beyond repute

The bites - I would suggest soaking in a dilution of peroxide or alcohol to kill bacteria. Then, yes, tea tree oil. If you have other oils, eucalyptus and lavender also are known to kill infections. You can use all three if you need to. They are generally mild and can be used undiluted if need be. Nothing like good ol' fashioned Neosporin as well. Personally, if this happened at my house, we would be soaking in an alcohol solution (for the first 2 days, then a very hot Epsom salt soak), dry thoroughly, apply oils, then Neosporin. This would happen 2-3 times a day. If it doesn't look better in 2 days, go to the doctor. Ice will help with swelling and I would do that in between treatments. I hope he is feeling better soon!!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM

Gah I keep hitting post.

Essential oils shouldn't be used in open wounds. A poultice might help though

Momma to:
Wide-eyed Dreamer (10)

Calico Kid (5)

The Newbie May 28, 2016

Author of Ring of Fire

Old 03-14-2016, 05:13 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

Katiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond reputeKatiebear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ladies. We've been using polysporin, but I think soaking will help get deeper into the wounds. I'll pick up some Epsom salts today and see what we can get going. I know if it doesn't start to look better in a few days, we'll have him looked at. He starts a new job on Monday, and doesn't want to start out there with infected hand wounds.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:46 PM
won't apologize for farting or burping.

klen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond reputeklen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with stevie on it all.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 PM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

That's a totally understandable bite - when dogs are fighting like that, they don't know what they are chomping down on. A bite breaking up a dog fight is not, in any way, the same as a dog who bites in *any* other situation. And dog agression is totally different dog psychology than human agression. He may have felt he was *protecting* your family by going after a strange dog, kwim?

Anyway, for future reference, this is the safest way to break up a dog fight: Yes, There Is A Smart Way To Break Up A Dog Fight

As far as treating the bite wounds, I'd do epsom salt soaks and antibiotic ointment, and watch very carefully for infection.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 PM
CALM YOUR TITS!

The only reason that he had his hands in our dogs mouth was to prevent a tearing injury in the other dog. Being a terrier breed, her instinct is to bite and pull/rip/tear. So he grabbed her jaw to make her release and prevent any further damage. Dog bites on him are terrible, but not a lawsuit and a potentially dead dog.

We will continue to do the soaks and polysporin ointments.

Thank you for affirming our decision that dog aggression doesn't translate into human aggression. I put that in there so I didn't have an "omg! Yer baaaaabiessssss!!!!" Response.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 AM
Whatever it takes to get some boobs!

My Mood: Relaxed
FuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond repute

When I got bit by a dog at work they had me soak my hand in ice water with original blue dawn. But that was right after it happened and all wounds were fresh. I am not sure if it would be beneficial at this point. I can tell you, do NOT like a syringe in there and squirt alcohol in the wound. Holy mother of bejeebus do not do it unless you want to pass out from pain.

I would soak in Epsom salt and use bactine. Be careful with any ointments as they will trap the bacteria in.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 AM
crazy dictator intent on taking over the world

My Mood: Balanced
aschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond reputeaschrimp has a reputation beyond repute

You can often work with a dog with dog agression. If there has already been a bite, and if the dog is large enough that leash control is difficult, you definitely don't want to attempt it without a trainer working with you, but it's very doable and most dogs respond well.

"The world is full of nice, ordinary little people who live in nice, ordinary little houses on the ground. But didn't you ever dream of a house up on a tree top? "
-Father Robinson, Swiss Family Robinson
Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 AM
I want my cooter bedazzled.
AKA: ClothDiaperMePlease

My Mood: Breezy
Elle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond reputeElle_Emme has a reputation beyond repute

We had something similar happen once. Out extremely peaceful loving dog got into a fight with another of our dogs and my husband grabbed him to break it up. Big dog bit my husband. He had that dig for 10 years without anything happening like that. We had him another 5 without another incident.

That is an expected bite. It happens in those cases and isn't about human aggression.

Ebson salt is my suggestion too. DH was sore and bruised for a while.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 PM
I'm a back hooker.

My Mood: Spaced
~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute~Isme~ has a reputation beyond repute

How is Mike's hand doing?

We have a couple kids, and we adore them.

4 + 1= 5
5 - 1=

Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 AM
CALM YOUR TITS!

Getting better! Thanks for asking. No infection, but it's taking a little while to heal, as there was a lot of bruising.