ClothDiaperNation

Go Back   ClothDiaperNation > Hints, Tips and Smart Advice > Saving the Planet

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
panty-less. all the time.
AKA: Samommy1221

MudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond repute
Question Want to go Green? Don't know where to start?

I'm dedicating the TrashN2Tees blog this month to making green changes & I am challenging my readers (and you). The challenge if you choose to accept it, is make 1 green resolution & share it with me. Together we'll make & inspire change!

My first post in this series is, Going Green? Start here.
I suggested that taking baby steps & changing habits takes time. BYOB is a good place to start.

I really want to start composting, I've made several half@ssed attempts. What is one GREEN change you want to make? (Also any of you exceptionally eco friendly folks have suggestions, or might want to contribute a blog post rep me!)

Jenelle

Old 11-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Please, don't kick the babies.

My Mood: Balanced
tipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond reputetipshere has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of sewing produce bags right now, instead of using plastic bags for produce
I started the green process by ridding the house of paper towels, we use a lot of unpapers.
My next project this wknd is to make our own laundry detergent. Composting to is on my list
~~~~~~~
I'm not exceptionally Eco but we've been working our way up to it in baby steps I'm exceptionally organic and buy everything local tho! Keep up the awesome progress

Last edited by tipshere; 11-02-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
My mind is in a bad, bad place.

dubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond repute

Use your cities green programs if you have them. We have green bins, blue bins and garbage. A nearby city even has a disposable diaper bin.

Just switching to big packaging (tub of yogurt instead of individual servings) makes a big difference in the amount of garbage you produce.

Make shopping more fun!:
GreatCanadianRebates
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Where's that title fairy?

My Mood: Angelic
ButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond reputeButterflyMama has a reputation beyond repute

If you do use paper towels or coffee filters, (I use coffee filters to clean our glass stuff: windows, tables, etc.) I use Method or vinegar-water solution on em' and I throw the filters in with yard waste. They take it here! Used paper plates and paper towels that get food on them? Compost!
& new lil' boy (3/4/14)!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
panty-less. all the time.
AKA: Samommy1221

MudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond reputeMudderDearest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipshere View Post
I'm in the process of sewing produce bags right now, instead of using plastic bags for produce
I started the green process by ridding the house of paper towels, we use a lot of unpapers.
My next project this wknd is to make our own laundry detergent. Composting to is on my list
~~~~~~~
I'm not exceptionally Eco but we've been working our way up to it in baby steps I'm exceptionally organic and buy everything local tho! Keep up the awesome progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhreubel View Post
Use your cities green programs if you have them. We have green bins, blue bins and garbage. A nearby city even has a disposable diaper bin.

Just switching to big packaging (tub of yogurt instead of individual servings) makes a big difference in the amount of garbage you produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyMama View Post
If you do use paper towels or coffee filters, (I use coffee filters to clean our glass stuff: windows, tables, etc.) I use Method or vinegar-water solution on em' and I throw the filters in with yard waste. They take it here! Used paper plates and paper towels that get food on them? Compost!
All of these are great ideas- I agree, starting small is the best approach. And don't feel guilty about what you're not doing (or if you feel like your not doing enough) if you can efficiently incorporate using cloth napkins, CDing, or simply remembering to put your recyclables out every week. Celebrate that. Once you get into the routine challenge yourself to do something else.

Jenelle

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM
I didn't think there were any of your kind out there anymore.

My Mood: Sleepy
Casey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond reputeCasey has a reputation beyond repute

I want to start composting and using family cloth. I'm just afraid that the littles will flush my cloth.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
My mind is in a bad, bad place.

dubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond reputedubhreubel has a reputation beyond repute

If you make them, single layer, out of old receiving blankets/flannel jammies, they're thin enough to not damage your plumbing if the odd one goes down, and cheap enough to not be a big deal.

Make shopping more fun!:
GreatCanadianRebates
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I was nuts

My Mood: Buzzed
dakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond reputedakini has a reputation beyond repute

Some good ideas here. I started wit CDing, and went to mama cloth, sometimes family cloth (mostly for me), using cloth wipes for cleaning up and for wiping noses, and now I've started to clean with natural cleaners like vinegar and orange.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Whatever it takes to get some boobs!

My Mood: Relaxed
FuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyToaster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying! It is SO harb with my family. They don't have an Eco friendly bone in their bodies.

I recycle now that we live somewhere with a recycling program! I was super pumped about that! Cloth diapers, vinegar for everything, and I reallllllly want a compost bin for Christmas! I also try to keep the lights off as much as possible. But really, I have a long way to go.