Thread: Mastitis
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
will be running off with your cooter.
AKA: yeswehave7

My Mood: Question
yeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond reputeyeswehave8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfarmer View Post
Warm compresses, massage, dangle nursing, fluids, rest. Hugs. Mastitis sucks - I'm so sorry you're going through this.
All this, yes!

Nurse that side completely while massaging the lump towards the baby's mouth, have his chin pointed toward the lump if at all possible, and hot showers pointed towards the lump. Yes, it will hurt, do it anyway... it's the only way to dislodge the lump. It is not harmful to the baby, either. Also, lecithin is supposed to help, too.

Stay on top of it. Full blown mastitis will need antibiotics, at least mine always did. I was actually hospitalized with mastitis for 5 days when DS 22 was just 2 weeks old. My fever was over 105, I was hallucinating and they truly thought it was something else... they checked for retained placenta and all kinds of stuff. They also made me abruptly stop nursing and bound my breasts with a bed sheet... it.was.miserable!!

I am so thankful that I learned a few things along the way. By the time DD 15 was born, I learned that stopping BFing is the worst thing you can do for mastitis. Though I did get very sick with that first case with her, too, I was able to work through it much quicker and she went on to nurse 17 months until she self-weaned. I had it a handful of times with the last 3, but nowhere near the severity as those 2.
~~~~~~~
Not enough coffee yet... obviously nursing the baby and hot showers = NOT at the same time!

Grown/ gone: DD 25, DD 19, DD 18... who has lost her frickin mind!!

My beautiful firstborn son earned his wings on 12/11/16 just 6 weeks after his 23rd birthday. A drunk driver killed my child. Please, please, PLEASE don't drink and drive. I miss my son. :(

Last edited by yeswehave8; 01-22-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost by CDN